We stand a good chance: Dravid

King

Bangalore: Ever since Kapil Dev and his star batsman Dilip Vengsarkar uncorked the champagne after India's 2-0 Test series triumph at England in 1986, the Indian team has been struggling to repeat the feat. However, skipper Rahul Dravid believes ... More... We stand a good chance: Dravid Principal Correspondent — Photo: K. Bhagya Prakash 2007061702692001.jpg ADVENTURE SPORT?: R.P. Singh searches for a lost ball on the concluding day of the cricket skills camp. Bangalore: Ever since Kapil Dev and his star batsman Dilip Vengsarkar uncorked the champagne after India's 2-0 Test series triumph at England in 1986, the Indian team has been struggling to repeat the feat. However, skipper Rahul Dravid believes that his team has the potential to do well. "We have an experienced batting line-up, a young fast bowling unit and an experienced spinner in Anil Kumble. If we execute our skills, we stand a good chance. If we put the runs on board, then our bowlers have the time to get 20 wickets," Dravid told the media after the four-day cricket skills camp concluded at the National Cricket Academy here on Saturday. Dravid also mentioned that Sachin Tendulkar, down with flu, had played in the indoor nets and that there was no cause for worry. In the forthcoming tour, the Indian team will play four one-dayers in Ireland — three against South Africa and one against Pakistan — before moving on to England to play three Tests and a seven-match ODI series that concludes on September 8. The Indian team is scheduled to leave for Ireland from Mumbai on June 20. "South Africa is a very good side but this is a neutral venue and we have a team that will do very well there," Dravid said. Short on experience Dravid agreed that the fast bowling unit for the Tests was short on experience but added that there was talent. "Zaheer is the only guy with some experience but we have the talent. There is not much we can do with injuries (Munaf Patel) and from the available fast bowlers, the best ones have been selected. You cannot get a better place to learn than in England and it is important to get to the first Test with a good set of fast bowlers," Dravid said. Dravid was guarded in his reaction to Graham Ford's refusal to take up the coach's slot. "If someone does not want to do the job it is not a lost opportunity. Anyone coming here to coach the Indian team has to be 100 per cent sure because it requires patience, energy and drive. As far as coach selection goes, that's the job of the committee. "I may have an opinion but I can only tell it to the concerned people. It is the players who have to perform well and a coach or a cricket manager, can make a difference in the preparation of the team, in terms of looking at the overall picture, giving an outside view and in taking some of the pressure off you. As a captain, you cannot give personalised attention to all 15 players but a coach can do that," Dravid said. Sorry for Laxman Dravid also peddled the horses-for-courses line when queried on V.V.S. Laxman's position in the Test middle-order. "In those hot conditions in Bangladesh, you needed that extra bowler to win the match. In an ideal scenario we needed a bowling all-rounder but when you don't have that option, then you either have to drop a batsman or a bowler. "In England where conditions are seaming, probably you don't need that extra bowler but if the track is dry then you have to play the extra spinner. It is never easy to drop anyone, especially Laxman, who is a proven performer. We expect big things from him in England," Dravid said, besides lauding the roles played by bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad, fielding coach Robin Singh and trainer Gregory King in conducting the camp. Meanwhile M.S. Dhoni, who is the vice-captain for the one-dayers in Ireland, stressed that the responsibility will spur him on to perform better. "When you get a responsibility you try and live up to it. Being vice-captain is a first for me and I am excited about it and I will do my best," Dhoni said. "Basically it is about adapting to the wickets there in Ireland," he added.

Quite a number of fans are optimistic but I'm not. There are too many things and problems with the India team. A make or break series for laxman, Inexperienced and not exceptional pace bowlers, Not a strong leadership, Not very good batting form bad fielding and so on! It is hard to be optimistic!

I don't rate India much at all. All it takes is the openers and Rahul Dravid to do bad for this team to fall like a pack of cards. I'll be happy if I'm proved otherwise but don't reckon these fellas are any better than the currently touring West Indies. It is possible India may win a test courtesy Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar or Laxman but that's about it. I think it is not the problem in the bowling department but it is the batting that will lose the test matches for India on this tour.

No' date=' be optimistic! You'll thrash them in the ODIs (but that would hardly be memorable) and win the Test series.[/quote'] You are too used to being an Aussie supporter Donny hence your attitude :wink_smile:
No' date=' be optimistic! You'll thrash them in the ODIs (but that would hardly be memorable) and win the Test series.[/quote'] How I wish I could think that way Donny!:angel_smile: But I'll hurt myself more, will feel really let down after the series when the contrary will happen! So it is better not to have any expectation at all. At least you won't feel that much let down. And Ravi, It is always batsmen who lose/save the test match while bowlers win it!:wink_smile:

I don't know what you reckon Chandan but India's batting is far too over rated. There is only one or two in prime form at this point in time. Indian batters lost the games in the world cup, in South Africa and many more times before that. None over rates Indian bowling but the batting is way too over rated. If they are able to put some decent scores on the board I'll change my opinion for once.

Guest dada_rocks

If with dravid sahin in team our batting is so fragile then I shudder to think what's going to happen once they call it a day........Our batting cupboard is woefully empty.. those who can bat hardly show any sing of appllication and those gifted with application and patience well aren't good enough batsman. What a step-back from the days of yore..:cry_smile:

You'll thrash them in the ODIs (but that would hardly be memorable)
I seriously doubt that. India are a very poor ODI outfit at the moment. They could hardly get past Banglastan. Bear in mind that India were thrashed in ODIs the last time they were in England (Natwest Challenge '04). and that was a much better team too.

Not a 6-1 thrashing like the last time. I think India should win it 4-3 or lose 3-4 in ODIs. In tests, I guess it will be a 1-1 like last time. or we will lose the series 2-1. We are good to win atleast 1 test. But Sehwag not being around will hurt the bowling more than the batting. The last 2 series in bowling:

[URL="http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/35263.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]V Sehwag[/COLOR][/URL]              4   89.1   21   209    9  23.22  3-33   -  -  59.4  2.34 in WI tests
[URL="http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/35263.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]V Sehwag[/COLOR][/URL]              3   15.4    1    46    2  23.00  1-7    -  -  47.0  2.93 in SA tests