Will you enter politics under Congress party banner?

Vijay.Sharma

Will you enter politics under Congress party banner?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

why would anyone want to become Rahul Gandhi's b)tch??
+ infinity.
I actually quite like the idea of joining BJP' date=' [b']they are the ones who don't have a PM candidate and are ripe to be taken over and imposed upon by someone with a strong will.
They already do. Narendra Modi- even if they aren't saying it out loud as of now. He may not be the 'default' choice for the next elections, but I pretty much see him as the frontrunner in the years to come.

Good on you. As they say in my hometown' date=' [i']Tum aage badho hum aapke saath hain..poora Bihar aapke saath hai...:cantstop: Seriously though, would love to contest election from my hometown some day. Partially because well I can not. It is a reserved constituency, so even though a person is born and raised there he can not contest, how retarded is that? I would perhaps contest against that day only some day :--D
It's nice to know you have dreams of contesting elections too. I think the more of us types get in the more efficient governance will be (corruption will exist because it is individual dependent). But 'us types' may not guarantee effective governance because that requires understanding of local realities and so outside urban constituencies we may take time to become effective. I didn't know about that reservation constituency. Man, that is too much! Anyway what is the "reservation" for? Is it reservation for caste or something else

I would love to join youth congress party. However' date=' it's hard to gain entry into a political party unless you have loads of $$$[/quote']I think you can gain entry without cash. Popularity and vote-counts will always earn entry into any party. Those who don't have that bring the cash. You can buy your way in but you can't get too far with just money. Money doesn't exactly buy you power after a certain stage even though many like to believe money power is all-pervasive. In democracies it is usually the strength of support you have which will bring you power (same as my point in the other thread - from strength comes power). I'd like to believe that strength of support depends upon the value you bring to the table...you may get support by just yapping off or playing to the popular tune but it doesn't keep you there for too long. It's like in any other job, charm will catapult you to a good position, from there it is performance that will allow you to keep it. At least I'd like to believe so and evidence of electoral trends suggests it is so. Modi remains in power because of performance not because Gujarat is filled with islamophobics. Laloo lost because he stopped delivering. Congress came back in Maharashtra because they developed more than just Baramati.

One can contest elections as an independent as well. Congress tickets anyway cost a lot of money and are given to old "loyalists" who have stuck to the party for years without any following of their own
I think that is exactly the reason Nehru family owns the Congress. They have very smartly deciphered the democracy game. They have carefully ensured that people with no popular support get the tickets while people with backing are fed well without giving them any power. The moment the latter realize their strength is the support they have and get the balls to think beyond Nehru family and have an ambition they are shunted out or they quit. Mamata, Pawar, etc are prime examples.

So far, we have 3 people who have said they would not mind joining the congress. Me, Aaku and Lurker . And the rest of them, around 12, wouldn't want to. Its safe to assume that these 12 would vote/join the BJP. Why is there such a big disconnect between the real polls and the e-polls. The BJP always appears much stronger in these e-polls ( not just on ICF). In the last general elections, Congress won comfortably. I used to think that its the uneducated who vote on a larger percentage for the Congress, but that isn't the case. Some of the districts in MP ( where the BJP won) have the lowest literacy levels in the country. Is it a female vs male thing? That females tend to vote ( maybe subconsciously) for a party that stands ( or claims to) for equality and has a historic legacy?

Guest Gunner
So far, we have 3 people who have said they would not mind joining the congress. Me, Aaku and Lurker . And the rest of them, around 12, wouldn't want to. Its safe to assume that these 12 would vote/join the BJP. Why is there such a big disconnect between the real polls and the e-polls. The BJP always appears much stronger in these e-polls ( not just on ICF). In the last general elections, Congress won comfortably. I used to think that its the uneducated who vote on a larger percentage for the Congress, but that isn't the case. Some of the districts in MP ( where the BJP won) have the lowest literacy levels in the country. Is it a female vs male thing? That females tend to vote ( maybe subconsciously) for a party that stands ( or claims to) for equality and has a historic legacy?
My interest in BJP is opportunistic not ideological. I don't believe that either of the two main parties in India have a strong ideology.

Although I'm a BJP supprter, I hope in the next election, Congress doesn't comes to power and any other party/coalition should make the Governtment, even if the Govt. is not headed by BJP led coalition. For the sake of Indian democracy, other parties/coalitions should also get chance to govern. If Congress led coalition always comes to power then it'll be similar to a dictatorship in the grab of "democracy".. By the looks of the situation now, I'll be extremely surprised in Congress led coalition comes to power in the next elections. If they come to power again, I would resign to the fact that the country deserves what they are getting now and in the past.

Although I'm a BJP supprter' date=' I hope in the next election, Congress doesn't comes to power and any other party/coalition should make the Governtment, even if the Govt. is not headed by BJP led coalition. For the sake of Indian democracy, other parties/coalitions should also get chance to govern. [b']If Congress led coalition always comes to power then it'll be similar to a dictatorship in the grab of "democracy"..
Why? If majority of the people are choosing the Congress to power, how can it be similar to a dictatorship? :confused: I don't understand you here. What if someone said that " If the BJP government comes to power in the next Gujarat state elections, then it'll be similar to a dictatorship in the garb of 'democracy' because the BJP have been in power in Gujarat since late 90s/early 2000s and other parties should also get a chance to govern" Sachin Tendulkar should also relinquish his dictatorial hold on the top of the Indian batting line up, and give other players like Sreesanth and Nehra a chance to open. :P You get my point.

Guest Gunner
Why? If majority of the people are choosing the Congress to power, how can it be similar to a dictatorship? :confused: I don't understand you here.
Quite simple, in any democracy about 40% of the people don't have the government which they want and it that goes on for long enough for the same 40%, how would you classify that?

Quite simple' date=' in any democracy about 40% of the people don't have the government which they want and it that goes on for long enough for the same 40%, how would you classify that?[/quote'] Is this one of those 68.92% of the stats that people ( mainly CAs) make up on the spot? How do you know what the 40% want? And if the other 60% want a government, it is a majority. Whats the catch?

Guest Gunner
Is this one of those 68.92% of the stats that people ( mainly CAs) make up on the spot? How do you know what the 40% want? And if the other 60% want a government, it is a majority. Whats the catch?
Nope, it is a very simple assumption that in most democracies the governing party doesn't win more than 60% of the votes polled. It is a very simple rule of thumb. It is much the same in India, I think the congress and its coalition probably has about 50-55% of the votes polled. I am happy for the majority but as a minority (one among the 40%), I want a voice too, which I don't have because of the way democracy works in India. Therefore i silently watch as the country is plundered while the majority sing homilies about the party with a historical legacy.

Why? If majority of the people are choosing the Congress to power, how can it be similar to a dictatorship? :confused: I don't understand you here. What if someone said that " If the BJP government comes to power in the next Gujarat state elections, then it'll be similar to a dictatorship in the garb of 'democracy' because the BJP have been in power in Gujarat since late 90s/early 2000s and other parties should also get a chance to govern" Sachin Tendulkar should also relinquish his dictatorial hold on the top of the Indian batting line up, and give other players like Sreesanth and Nehra a chance to open. :P You get my point.
If the people of Gujarat wants a change, they will remove Modi. There's no coalition at State level politics. However on national level it's coalition politics.. The National level politics should have FLUX as the Central level policies or lack of it affects the whole country on national and international level. Policies in Gujarat or MP or UP doesn't affects India on National or International level. State level and National level politics cannot be compared. This is like comparing Municipal level and State level politics. On National level Women, Dalits and Minorities tend to vote for "secular" and "party led by a woman and a Gandhi", en Masse`..Not to forget the millions of Bangladeshi immigrants who have atained ID cards with the help of Political parties too vote for UPA, en masse`..

So far, we have 3 people who have said they would not mind joining the congress. Me, Aaku and Lurker . And the rest of them, around 12, wouldn't want to. Its safe to assume that these 12 would vote/join the BJP. Why is there such a big disconnect between the real polls and the e-polls. The BJP always appears much stronger in these e-polls ( not just on ICF). In the last general elections, Congress won comfortably.
I think the disconnect is because the people who take the e-polls are usually urban fellows and hence their effect on the actual polls is limited to a few constituencies. So while in some of the urban areas you might see a direct correlation of e-polls to actual votes (not results . for ex, ppl may be anti-Cong but not pro-BJP so the vote for Cong will be less but those votes are not necessarily going to just one party. So in the end, Cong may even end up winning that constituency) the e-poll does not maintain that correlation for the nation as a whole. Also, the 12 of 15 here in ICF are not all pro-BJP. My poll question was very specific to what I wanted to know, the support for Congress. Out of the 12, some may vote for their regional parties or for a particular candidate, not a party...so if the candidate changes to a diff party votes will also follow suit.
I used to think that its the uneducated who vote on a larger percentage for the Congress' date=' but that isn't the case. Some of the districts in MP ( where the BJP won) have the lowest literacy levels in the country.[/quote']On a lighter note, do not draw a causation between literacy and education. Many of us are uneducated literates :winky: Historic legacy for equality? No way! It only has historic legacy for pseudo-equality. I think the subconscious thing here is that Congress tends to get default support from religious minority (which is a very large and almost always winning percentage if the rest of the populace is divided on the parties they choose' date=' which is almost always) and party loyalists. Also minorities generally tend not to vote for parties that are of their own community...only the fanatics in the minority do which is a very small percentage. Hence the minority votes get accumulated and usually tend to go to the party that [i']propagates itself as equal even though they damn well know it is anything but equal. If you look at the votes in Karnataka and the south generally, Congress never got the full support of the minority communities here. Traditionally it has been Janata Dal (or regional parties) which would get the support of the minorities. But of late, even the minorities are turning to BJP in Karnataka because the projection of BJP in Karnataka is nothing like that of Maharashtra, Gujarat, and the north. It is totally different. It is not considered as a right wing religious party like it is in some other parts of the nation. Hence the baggage is relatively less and it has risen from the grass roots over a long period of time. Moreover the leaders themselves are not too bothered about using the Hindi language terms like "chintan bhaitak", "dharana", "hindutva", etc. These terms have a lot of psychological inertia riding on them which puts RSS, BJP, VHP, etc in one box. Karnataka is free of that psychological inertia because BJP leaders don't use those terms and hence minorities relate to them differently.