Collingwood wants one-day captaincy

King

Phew! MV finally accepted he's a dud in ODIs and did the right thing. Colly is an ideal choice. Experienced, highly capable as a player who will lead by example and looks to have the mental calmness needed but with controlled aggression.

Does Collingwood lead in English county circuit? I am not quite sure he does. MV was groomed as a skipper and then given the leadership. Seems like the second string of English leaders do not have that credential. That said Colly seems like an ideal fit. He is one of the regulars in LOI team and commands respect for his game.

Strauss ? On what basis ? Does he have good record of captaincy with his county ?
Who gives a damn if he does or if he doesn't ? Michael Vaughan had ZERO captaincy experience at county level (although he did captain ENG 'A' a few times) but he turned out to be a fine captain - England's best since Brearley. Strauss was captain for a season or two at Middlesex, but i don't know how he did. I was impressed by his captaincy in India (he stood in for two ODI's IIRC) and he was also in charge when ENG drew 2-2 with PAK. He did lose 0-5 to SL though...so that is a blemish on his record. ODI records aren't conclusive though.. His test record should take precedence - at least in my opinion. The fact that he hasn't lost a single test match (he has already captained in 4 or 5) goes out to show that he is capable of getting results with ENG and has the players respect. If a captain can successfully manage a team during a test series or two, than he is a good bet for the position.
Michael Vaughan had ZERO captaincy experience at county level (although he did captain ENG 'A' a few times) but he turned out to be a fine captain - England's best since Brearley.
Correct me if I am wrong here Predz but did Vaughan captain Yorkshire before he became England skipper? Also was VC for a while to Nasser Hussain me thinks. xxx
Ok.. let me rephrase it then.. For someone who averages 31 in 78 matches and a pathetic 26 in the last 25 matches,I dont think Strauss should even be in the ODI team, let alone captain it..
CONTEXT, yaar CONTEXT !! Sure, an average of 31 looks sh*t to you and me - people who are used to seeing our Indian batsmen, many of whom are averaging in the 40's. For England, it's not that bad. It's a pathetic average but he certainly wouldn't be out of place because England are a pathetic team. This is reflected by the fact that bar Pietersen - no one in England's XI averages over 35. Tresco does too, but i think he is as good as finished now so i won't count him. Lurker - Vaughan never captained Yorkshire. Not to my knowledge anyway...maybe he did 1 or two matches, but i don't know nor do i care.
Sure, an average of 31 looks sh*t to you and me - people who are used to seeing our Indian batsmen, many of whom are averaging in the 40's. For England, it's not that bad. I
What do you mean ? This is not a case of the worst making the bad look good is it ? Pieterson averages way more than him. And Collinwood averages 44 in his last 25 matches ( which i think is a fair filter) If you are actually trying to justify Strauss' place in the team , i would say your arguement is based on weak foundations. BUT , if you are trying to suggest that Strauss is a good captain , with good tactical and man-management capabilties and will be able to rally the team around him better than others , i might probably buy that.
What do you mean ? This is not a case of the worst making the bad look good is it ? Pieterson averages way more than him. And Collinwood averages 44 in his last 25 matches ( which i think is a fair filter) If you are actually trying to justify Strauss' place in the team , i would say your arguement is based on weak foundations. BUT , if you are trying to suggest that Strauss is a good captain , with good tactical and man-management capabilties and will be able to rally the team around him better than others , i might probably buy that.
I am not trying to justifying his place in the team. I am merely pointing out that no matter how bad his record may look, he will still play for England in ODI's. Why do you think Vaughan was able to captain England in ODI's for so long ?
. Why do you think Vaughan was able to captain England in ODI's for so long ?
well , that is my whole point. Niether Strauss nor Vaughan should have figured in the team for so long. But i do understand what you are saying. IF its a certainty that he is going to play in the odi's , then he can be appointed captain if he is proven to be better than others in that regard.

Strauss is not a regular in the ODI team but with Vaughan effectively calling quits to his ODI career he will become one. He has good leadership abilities based on what I saw against Pakistan and should have captained in the Ashes. Having said that, Collingwood is the kind of cricketer who can also make a very good captain.

Before anything a player needs to be first selected in the XI. Strauss has been played sparsely in ODIs and his test record as a batsman hasn't been great either over the last year or so. He has plenty to worry about his own batting at this point in time. Collingwood or KP with their performance command lot of respect and they are the right choice IMO.