Edgbaston test : Day by day prediction and discussion

Sooda

Edgbaston test : Day by day prediction and discussion  

1. 1.

• Praveen Kumar
    • Ishanth Sharma
    • Sreesanth
    • R.P Singh

The crucial thing is that the we need to win the next test. As for the 4th test. India have historically always done well on the flat pitches back at home. The Oval is a flat ground with assistance for the spinners. If Bhaji is back in form (or is replaced with another spinner), and our batting has confidence, why should we not win the 4th test. It is all about pressure, not so much the swing or pitches.
have u not been watching india at home against top sides in the past 3 years? our home form on decent flat tracks is getting WORSE

well as has been said,2-0 at the moment is terrible not acceptable,if we can come back 2-2 which is a must all will be forgiven BUT not forgotten,i really think kirsten should have seen this year out,im not sure duncan coming has had the same positive effect,not thats any excuse..... i rekon sehwag even a half fit sehwag,ghambir n zak,makes a massive difference,sorry but i would drop raina n yuvi,i rekon pujaras a better bet unless injured....i cant understand.....i mean willis was spot on,indias bowling looked innocous,willis n stewart were very respectful,but that made it worse in my eyes,our bowlers bowled like wan*ers,we need openers,dravids to important to be opening,opening partnerships have been the reason we are number 1!!! we need back up openers,esp as sehwags been unavailable for the first 2 tests,raina n yuvi are top odi players,but against the short ball are playing like pu*sies,sehwags so vital for this team,the balance is fuc*ed...my prediction,sehwag in the team,minumum 2-1 or with a bit of luck 2-2! only then will the goras see why we are number 1,instead having to listen that england are number 1!!!!!!!

lets give it our best shot with our best possible team' date='if we lose then we know we have a major rebuilding project on our hands which was always inevitable but will be forced on us sooner than later.[/quote'] Our best possible team is still fresh from their injuries man, they won't be really 100%. The result will be same. I will come back her and plead guilty if otherwise. Out of 8 and a bit days of play, we just had 3 good sessions, how can we get back from there. I mean, look at these Eng players, they are incredibly fit, strong and skilled in home conditions. I am an optimistic person, but realistic too.

Being an Indian Fan it's obviously disappointing to see Them lose, but to be honest I really enjoyed the grit and the competition with which these matches are being played. Watching the English seamers bowl on helpful tracks and the Indian batsmen putting their skills to the test is a real treat and seems like real cricket. Comparing the two Teams England are definitely better in their home conditions but with Indian team coming back to full strength, the next couple of matches should be on a more even keel. And what is this obsession with being no 1 in the world and retaining it. We should allow our players to play in a more relaxed manner and enjoy the game, then only do we stand to see talents like Sachin coming through the ranks in the next generation. It's a game you win some you loose some!

Agreed with OP for most of the things other than Bhajji part. We have been playing Bhajji for so many years in hope that one day he'll get confidence. In process we have created a bowler who averages almost in mid-thirties even after 400 wickets. Enough of him and End of the road.

Alright, for the pessimists its always over before its over. We won the Test at Perth after being 2-0 down (controversially), we won the Durban Test after being 1-0 down, we won the Galle test after being 1-0 down. All these things say that we are winning this Test. You wont realize it now, but when we do do well. So just keep the faith going (if possible) because to me it looks like an Indian victory here :popcorn:

no way should Dartbhajan be given any more chances. FFS he is the senior bowler and should be leading the attack' date=' [b']not being treated like a rookie who needs his fragile confidence boosted.
+1. I do agree with most of what was said in the OP though. All good things must come to an end, and a revival of sorts can only be made possible if players like Bhajji are dealt with strictly, not if he's treated like a toddler who's just learning how to walk. Now when I look back at the goings on of this series so far, I tend to think that a fall this big and this painful was absolutely necessary to bring Team India back to reality. Maybe they were taking for granted the fact that they'd never lost a series for a long time, and that England wouldn't be able to pwn them the way they did. It was simply a case of underestimating the potential of your opponent, which is a huge no-no in any sport, leave alone cricket. That's not the only hurdle though. Player injuries, fitness concerns, and insane schedules, not to mention misplaced priorities, have been our undoing, and the BCCI has a very big role to play in that, so I wouldn't just blame our players. Even our greats like Sachin, Dravid, and even VVS have had to go through lows in their career when people wrote them off when they were in bad form. The same happened with Ganguly. Irfan Pathan has also been relegated to the sidelines ever since he's become a shadow of his former self. Sh*t happens. People get the wrong end of the stick whenever their presence in the team is more of an impediment than a boon. Harbhajan shouldn't be an exception. He needs to realize that right away, because his place in the playing XI has solely been cemented on the basis of his reputation rather than his current form. That is simply not the way to go if your aim is to become one of the best Test teams in the world. Stuart Broad may have been in terrible form before this series, but he has used this opportunity and this one chance to prove his detractors wrong instead of taking for granted that his reputation can earn him a spot in the playing XI. That's the main difference between him and Bhajji.
No worries' date=' glad you enjoyed it. Really needed to vent out my anger and disappointment in a structured manner lol. What do you think we should do with Bhaji? Drop him? And then what? That's the end of his career? The guy is a decent tailender also, something that the rest of our bowlers really lack...[/quote'] There has been lot of threads about Bhajji. I think we have beaten that horse to death. Anyway, here is my 2 cents. I believe Mishra is worse than Bhajji. But we need to rest Bhajji for a couple of tests for his own good. He needs to work on his bowling by himself, without the pressure of playing in every match. He is in poor form. Let him take a break from cricket. If he has still got it in him, he will come back as a stronger player. We are doing a disservice to our team, other spinners and Bhajji himself by keeping a non-producer in the team.

Sehwag, his return will be a big boost for the team. The *settled* opening pair of Viru and Gambo was one of the main reasons for our test wins. Sehwag is the guy the bowlers will be worried about. If he scores even 20-30 runs, that'll be scored in an aggressive manner. It can throw the the bowler off from their line n length. Also, it'll allow the likes of Dravid to settle in. What we've seen so far in these 2 test matches is, that Eng opening bowlers consistently bowled a full length outside offstump to right-handers with impunity. Dravid would leave most of those balls so after 2-3 overs, the run-rate was around 1.5-2! In case of Sehwag, he would go after most of those deliveries. He might get out to one of those but he'll smack few of those to boundaries too. In the process, the runs will come and it'll make the bowlers think more and allow the following batsmen to settle in. And of he manages to score more than 20-30 then...:--D I do hope Zaheer gets fit for the 3rd test. I believe if he's there, he can guide the other seamers about their bowling. We lost the 2nd test on day 3, when Ishant and Sree bowled poorly and allowed the batsmen to score boundaries. Couple that with Dhoni's horrible field placing and we saw a team score 400+ runs. I alwasy felt that Ishant is a sort of bowler who, upon getting hit for a couple of boundaries, looses his line n length. He was bowling well in 1st innings when the ball was seaming around and the batsmen were in defensive mood. But in 2nd innings, when Pietersen and Bell started scoring boundaries of him, he just lost it completely. He was back to bowling short and wide and the customary half-volley on the pads of the batsmen. It applies for Sree also, but then we know how temperamental he is. I honestly believe that if Zak was around, he would've told the bowlers where to bowl and they wouldn't have been thrashed around like this. Leaving the 'Leader of bowling' part aside aside, atleast Dhoni would've had 2 bowlers (Praveen and Zaheer) who could at least control the scoring rate by bowling a tight line n length. But then, the way Dhoni set his field, I doubt even Brett Lee could've done something. :rolleyes: That's why I do believe (or love to believe :--D), that if these 2 guys come back to the team *fully fit*, we could win the remaining tests. Let's hope for the best. :two_thumbs_up:

Alright, for the pessimists its always over before its over. We won the Test at Perth after being 2-0 down (controversially), we won the Durban Test after being 1-0 down, we won the Galle test after being 1-0 down. All these things say that we are winning this Test. You wont realize it now, but when we do do well. So just keep the faith going (if possible) because to me it looks like an Indian victory here :popcorn:
We were saying same thing after 1st test. Remember India's those stats and article on cricinfo. Best India can do is to draw 2 tests or at least win 1 somehow. But chances are bleak. Coming back strongly with strong mentality won't give you technique to play short balls overnight. MS won't learn to handle swing in one day. Bowlers won't start bowling swinging yorkers to tail-enders with confidence. With the mental strength team can be expected to give a fight. That may result in anything.
There has been lot of threads about Bhajji. I think we have beaten that horse to death. Anyway, here is my 2 cents. I believe Mishra is worse than Bhajji. But we need to rest Bhajji for a couple of tests for his own good. He needs to work on his bowling by himself, without the pressure of playing in every match. He is in poor form. Let him take a break from cricket. If he has still got it in him, he will come back as a stronger player. We are doing a disservice to our team, other spinners and Bhajji himself by keeping a non-producer in the team.
Bhaji getting "rested" is better than him getting "dropped". My main issue here is the confidence of the team. As a side not, I also think our team is very fatigued and mentally drained. We have been competitive in the tests till Day 4 and Day 5, when we have been getting battered. Physically I dont think we have that much of a limitation, even though we are less fit than the English side. I feel our poor performances are also due to mental fatigue, and not being able to maintain intensity through all 5 days of a test match.

How Edgbaston track will behave? After seeing how Nottingham track behaved in 4 days, it will be interesting to see how the track at Edgbaston will be. Nottingham track has live grass on day one and bowl swung and seamed prodigiously while later as son came out, grass became brown and Indian bowlers were still searching for swing but could not get much out of it, but later Bresnan showed that you need to hit the deck hard once the green grass had dried. Brown patches of grass helped powerful bowlers like Bresnan to get extra bounce and every Indian batsman struggled with that bounce. Can anyone enlighten about Edgbaston wicket? I watched a ODD county match last week for 1-2 overs and it looked a hard bouncy track to me, bouncier than Nottingham, but less swing.