Test #1: UPA Vs Team Anna, New Delhi, August 16, 2011

asterix

Test #1: UPA Vs Team Anna, New Delhi, August 16, 2011  

1. 1.

• The Government
    • Team Anna

I think protests should go on against this government irrespective of the release of Anna Hazare. Is there anything going on in Bangalore?
Yep it is happening here too. In the morning today when I went to the office (at Prestige Tech Park, Marathahalli Ring Road) there was a group of people who were carrying banners and headed towards Vidhan Soudha.

Last night I was so pissed to find out that Congress Spokesperson Manish Tiwari actually said "Anna Hazare is corrupt from head to toe"! Damn the do takke ka Nehru family ass-licking bastard. My dad used to work with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Dev (NABARD). When we were in Pune, dad would tour the districts, villages around for planning, development, and funding. In 1993/94 he visited Ralegaon Sidhi and met Anna Hazare. Anna had literally built the whole villages' irrigation system from scratch using innovative techniques. This was the time when Sharad Pawar was siphoning all dev funds away from other districts and pumping them into his taluk, Baramati. Dad's a deadly photographer and he told me Anna's story with the help of the photographs he had taken of the innovations and developments that Anna ushered in to Ralegaon Sidhi. My blood boiled when the bastard Manish Tiwari had the audacity to accuse Anna Hazare of corruption from head to toe. Alright Anna would have done some not so legal things (all of us do) but such character assassination is just not done. these Congress bastards need to be taught a real hard lesson.

Guest Gunner
Anyone familiar with Tavleen Singh's opinions on the Jan Lokpal issue? I really like her columns and respect her as a journo but I'm at a loss to understand why she's so opposed to Anna Hazare.
For exactly the same reason I am opposed to him. Tavleen Singh is a very intelligent woman and probably one of the few who has understood the issue correctly.

Guest Gunner
Why can't they do a Referendum on this isue of national importance? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendum Yes, they are "elected" representatives but on certain issues, they need to take the public's view too..
Switzerland has a referendum process of governance an it works very well for them. However India is just too big to run government on the basis of referendums and it is very expensive.

For exactly the same reason I am opposed to him. Tavleen Singh is a very intelligent woman and probably one of the few who has understood the issue correctly.
Tavleen Singh has constantly implied that Hazare is 'unabashedly Leftist' and that the Jan Lokpal also includes private citizens in its purview. I haven't read the complete draft but I haven't seen where the JLB tries to include private citizens in its ambit as far as Lokayukta investigations are concerned to the point of it being 'despotic'. Are those the same reasons why you oppose Anna, or do you think it's a form of controlled opposition? I do however agree with her on the corruption-infested NGO sector bit, but I still think the JLB is a better draft than the Govt.'s version.

I too have great respect for Tavleen Singh and can completely see where she is coming from. She is an intelligent woman yes,, but that doesn't make her correct on the issue. She can frame logical opinions, however she can also be challenged logical as she was in a talkshow. While I too am part skeptical, one can't help but get the feeling the bubble had to burst. This is not a movement of armchair critics and keyboard warriors including me who can sit in their air conditioned room, sit on their laptops and think about the world. This is a reaction, a response that one expects in any republic where injustice and corruption have soared beyond limits, where all institutions and rights have basterdized, where hapless and helpless protestors have been trampled upon. On my way back I see youngsters at every nook and corner raising their voices against "status quo". So, do they understand that the basics of Lokpal ? Maybe not all of them. But they want a change and they have lost faith in the politicians to bring about that change. It is 53 years. Yes 53 years. A generation has gone by, crores have been looted and the bill hasn't gone through and armchair critics including me expect there to be no reaction. A fractured bill is introduced ( which Tavleen also believes btw ), as a slap on the face of democracy and people don't have the right to protest against it. Many like me were probably on the fence on the issue, but the sheer arrogance of the govt and the kind of language they have used against Anna, whom whether you agree or disagree with, has been a selfless warrior for noble causes, not to mention his contribution to the Indian army. The fact that this man was able to bring together one nation to whatever extent he did, says that the issue touches the chord of Indians across the board and I would rather have them react than discuss this issue like "lawyers". Sometimes reacting helps more than responding in a democracy esp.. the subverted one like ours. PS. I still am not sure Lokpal's success, but I know status quo is no good and I certainly know that it will remains status quo if it weren't fro this movement. Lets not forget, what Tavleen doesn't mention, the bill has to pass through the parliament. So, the protest really is for discussion on issues concerning civil society. How does Anna represent civil society ? Well then how does anyone represent civil society ?

@ OP: Sorry for bringing up the whole Tavleen Singh angle here, let me know if you want me to stop, but I think this discussion could perhaps shed light on the JLB. Her good and refreshing insights aside, the thing with Tavleen is that she tends to brush anybody who is pro-grassroots development as being Leftist. She did that with Medha Patkar, the illegal mining activists in K'taka, and Vandana Shiva, which I honestly didn't expect from Tavleen, who even went on to support Monsanto in this country! Anyway... The one point I do agree with her on is this bit of the JLB: Review of proceedings and decisions by Lokpal is prevented in the bill, stating "...no proceedings or decision of the Lokpal shall be liable to be challenged, reviewed, quashed or called in question in any court of ordinary Civil Jurisdiction." How the trials will be conducted is unclear in the bill, although the bill outlines requiring judges for special courts, presumably to conduct trial that should be completed within one year. Without judicial review, there is concern that Lokpal could become a extra-constitutional body with investigative and judicial powers whose decisions cannot be reviewed in regular courts. But Tavleen is mistaking the whole movement as being an excuse for 'rabble rousing'. All Anna and Co. want is the JLB to merely be discussed in Parliament, which never bloody happened. A debate would be extremely healthy, and one would be naive enough to believe that the JLB will be passed smoothly sans any discussion about all its clauses. However, when the Govt. just point blank rejects the JLB at the outset and instead sets aside time to formulate its own version, you can pretty much be certain that their actions smack of absolute totalitarianism. And that is where Anna wins, and the Govt. falls face down in a huge cesspool of its own sh!t.

News in one channel says..Govt Agreed for 3 weeks Fasting... what is this nonsense isn't this clearly shows that govt really not interested in Any meaningful changes to it's bill...after 3 weeks what they think either Anna will die or abandon fasting... seriously who gives these crazy ideas ?

I was watching some videos on NDTV yesterday. Apparently, NDTV is pro govt. Because all the videos were harping about how this is not a national movement and how Anna doesn't have any support and blah blah blah...
You must've heard that fecker sham of an activist, Nandini Rao..

I was watching some videos on NDTV yesterday. Apparently, NDTV is pro govt. Because all the videos were harping about how this is not a national movement and how Anna doesn't have any support and blah blah blah...
Not only NDTV ...all channels support govt....they are just going how wind blows at. present..in between just try to push their agenda like Rahul baba responsible for Anna's release.... Arnav goswamy of Times Now sounds like he is against govt..but I cant trust that guy either...

Apparently' date=' NDTV is pro govt. Because all the videos were harping about how this is not a national movement and how Anna doesn't have any support and blah blah blah...[/quote'] They have been a propaganda spewing machine for years now. Even went to the extent of doing Rahul *****i's PR for him yesterday by saying something along the likes of 'he was only responsible for Hazare's potential release, not his arrest' or some sh!t. They don't even bother trying to curb their obvious Congress leanings.

May be what I wish is wrong....why our cricketers won't comment on such national issues..I never heard a single superstar Indian cricketer make any comment regarding national Issues... even Film stars whom i respect less compare to Cricketers give some comments on this Issue... ***** I know Rohith dharma tweeted yesterday in support of Anna.. comment from Sachin or Dhoni or even Ganguly will have great value to common man... again it's not their job..but still they can try something which people of this country definitely need and Appreciate

May be what I wish is wrong....why our cricketers won't comment on such national issues..I never heard a single superstar Indian cricketer make any comment regarding national Issues... even Film stars whom i respect less compare to Cricketers give some comments on this Issue... ***** I know Rohith dharma tweeted yesterday in support of Anna.. comment from Sachin or Dhoni or even Ganguly will have great value to common man... again it's not their job..but still they can try something which people of this country definitely need and Appreciate
Dhoni's family is leading protest here in Ranchi. They fully support Anna.

Dhoni's family is leading protest here in Ranchi. They fully support Anna.
oh I didn't know that....:two_thumbs_up: still if word coming from Dhoni himself wil be great it's fine with me if he didn't hit a fifty in Fifty more test innings :winky:

I too have great respect for Tavleen Singh and can completely see where she is coming from. She is an intelligent woman yes,, but that doesn't make her correct on the issue. She can frame logical opinions, however she can also be challenged logical as she was in a talkshow. While I too am part skeptical, one can't help but get the feeling the bubble had to burst. This is not a movement of armchair critics and keyboard warriors including me who can sit in their air conditioned room, sit on their laptops and think about the world. This is a reaction, a response that one expects in any republic where injustice and corruption have soared beyond limits, where all institutions and rights have basterdized, where hapless and helpless protestors have been trampled upon. On my way back I see youngsters at every nook and corner raising their voices against "status quo". So, do they understand that the basics of Lokpal ? Maybe not all of them. But they want a change and they have lost faith in the politicians to bring about that change. It is 53 years. Yes 53 years. A generation has gone by, crores have been looted and the bill hasn't gone through and armchair critics including me expect there to be no reaction. A fractured bill is introduced ( which Tavleen also believes btw ), as a slap on the face of democracy and people don't have the right to protest against it. Many like me were probably on the fence on the issue, but the sheer arrogance of the govt and the kind of language they have used against Anna, whom whether you agree or disagree with, has been a selfless warrior for noble causes, not to mention his contribution to the Indian army. The fact that this man was able to bring together one nation to whatever extent he did, says that the issue touches the chord of Indians across the board and I would rather have them react than discuss this issue like "lawyers". Sometimes reacting helps more than responding in a democracy esp.. the subverted one like ours. PS. I still am not sure Lokpal's success, but I know status quo is no good and I certainly know that it will remains status quo if it weren't fro this movement. Lets not forget, what Tavleen doesn't mention, the bill has to pass through the parliament. So, the protest really is for discussion on issues concerning civil society. How does Anna represent civil society ? Well then how does anyone represent civil society ?
Wonderfully said!

Do you guys remember the slogan that went all around the nation during the Bofors fiasco? Gali gali mein shor hai Rajiv Gandhi chor hai! We need to revive that slogan just that instead of Rajiv Gandhi the reference should be to Congress/UPA sarkar. A slight insight on Anna Hazare... have you noticed that none of the politicians from Maharashtra, whether from Congress or any other party, have expressed anything about Anna right from day one? Well, the biggest mistake UPA has done is to not take counsel from some of the craftiest (even the most corrupt) politicians in their ranks like Sharad Pawar. In Maharashtra politics there is a well known law - never try to screw around with any social activity that has Anna Hazare's blessings. This man is known to be the most sincere person and of the highest integrity that our nation has ever produced. No politician dares to take a panga with him. The politicians at the center totally misread Anna Hazare. Was it Rajneesh who said, even power cannot corrupt a person who has no potential for corruption? The prevalent belief in Maharashtra politics is that Anna Hazare is such a man...something Pawar probably chose not to advice the center about.