'Spirit of the game' - England's Double Standards

England refused IndiaÃÔ request to have a 13-a-side game to allow the the Indians more practice. They also allowed out of form Andrew Strauss to play for Somerset against Indians. The same guys, shamelessy went to Indian dressing room to request taking back Ian Bell's dismissal in 2nd test in the name of 'Spirit of the Game' and our team agreed for that. Its not that the result of the matches would have been different in either of the decisions, but its a mockery of the use of 'Spirit of the game', which is denied to one team and use it when it is suited to the other. In the second instance, only Indian team management to be blamed. Hope they learn from this mistake against teams like England in future.

The English cricket team wouldn't know the spirit of the game if it hit them in their faces. But its our own damn fault for getting bullied by England into letting Ian Bell get away scot free for being a total idiot. Then be patronized by them...Bell saying "both sides did the right thing", Flower claiming there would have been an "international incident" if it had happened to Sachin at Mumbai etc.

The English cricket team wouldn't know the spirit of the game if it hit them in their faces. But its our own damn fault for getting bullied by England into letting Ian Bell get away scot free for being a total idiot. Then be patronized by them...Bell saying "both sides did the right thing", Flower claiming there would have been an "international incident" if it had happened to Sachin at Mumbai etc.
It seems, this term is only applicable to teams other than England. Now that they became No.1 test side in the world, we can expect more 'Spirit of the Game' instances in near future. :hehe:
:fear: Still crying about what England did. No one gives a hoot about all this these days. If you care about your image so much then this will happen. Why blame England for this?
I didn't blame England for this. They used it to their convenience. I just hope we learn from this mistake and don't fall into these kind of traps in future especially against England.
I didn't blame England for this. They used it to their convenience. I just hope we learn from this mistake and don't fall into these kind of traps in future especially against England.
Wow! Indian team is not a bunch of kids who fall into the traps of opposition. You are saying as if they some 6 year olds who were naive and couldn't see that it was a trap.
Well' date=' they were a bit naive in this instance. :(([/quote'] I don't think they were naive. Seniors have played cricket for so long and they care about their image. Priorities are different for different players and teams. Look at the Dravid's dismissal in last inning. He was not sure, but still following his honesty principle he walked. Don't say that India fell in the traps of England or they cheated us. Indian team could have refused them.
I don't think they were naive. Seniors have played cricket for so long and they care about their image. Priorities are different for different players and teams. Look at the Dravid's dismissal in last inning. He was not sure, but still following his honesty principle he walked. Don't say that India fell in the traps of England or they cheated us. Indian team could have refused them.
I agree to your point, if Strauss and flower didn't go to Indian Dressing room. I don't think India would have agreed to reinstate Bell if it wasn't their request. Maybe seniors players must have felt bad about the dismissal and they must have discussed about it in the dressing room, but I don't think it was a unanimous decision to reinstate Bell and suddenly Strauss/Flower knocked the door and requested the same...
I don't think they were naive. Seniors have played cricket for so long and they care about their image. Priorities are different for different players and teams. Look at the Dravid's dismissal in last inning. He was not sure, but still following his honesty principle he walked. Don't say that India fell in the traps of England or they cheated us. Indian team could have refused them.
There are also 'Sarcastic' commentetors who will tweet 'Has Vaseline on the outside edge saved the day for Dravid' :--D
peeps need to chill' date=' how many runs did he make extra after the incident? How much did you lose by? You do the math x[/quote'] No worries mate, This is not an excuse for our loss in this series at all. As I mentioned in the OP, both of these decisions are irrelevent to the series score line so far. Enjoy your team's success...
just that in my humble opinion its been blown out of all proportion, also that (understandably) its being used as a bit of a scapegoat by Indian fans for the disappointment of the losses.
Though its true', but I won't call it scapegoat. If things go wrong and then you take a decision which is not acceptable by others then there is more disappointment. Had India won the matches, then probably no one would have talked about this so much. It happens everywhere. For ex - everyone was worried about Dhoni's personal form and raised questions about his presence in team. On the other hand no one raised question about Strauss' form that much. When teams win the matches, not every aspect come under so much scrutiny.
No worries mate' date=' This is not an excuse for our loss in this series at all. As I mentioned in the OP, both of these decisions are irrelevent to the series score line so far. Enjoy your team's success...[/quote'] As far as spirit of the game stuff goes, well its all wishy washy at best, but it does set a good example i guess, plus now England has to reciprocate if something similar happens to India in the future...can you imagine the roasting England players would get if they tried to screw an Indian player over after this:(( ...
Though its true'' date=' but I won't call it scapegoat. If things go wrong and then you take a decision which is not acceptable by others then there is more disappointment. Had India won the matches, then probably no one would have talked about this so much. It happens everywhere. For ex - everyone was worried about Dhoni's personal form and raised questions about his presence in team. On the other hand no one raised question about Strauss' form that much. When teams win the matches, not every aspect come under so much scrutiny.[/quote'] you're right of course, (although Strauss didn't do too badly), but i think England fans and selectors are a bit more patient with players if they go through bad patches (Cook/Broad) ect, although i could be talking rubbish here, the pressure from the Indian public is way more intense than it is for England.
As far as spirit of the game stuff goes' date=' well its all wishy washy at best, but it does set a good example i guess, plus now England has to reciprocate if something similar happens to India in the future...can you imagine the roasting England players would get if they tried to screw an Indian player over after this:(( ...[/quote'] I don't Expect England to reciprocate such things to any other teams. They think only they can do as they wish and others to follow 'Spirit of the game'. Recently, Srilankan team was heavily criticised by England players including captain Cook in Lords ODI match for young Chandimal trying for a century when his team was in strong winning position. The reason was looking for personal milestones. Eventually he got his century and they won the match as well. What we saw in the Edgbaston test is that the same Cook delayed his team's declaration trying for personal 300 or probably 333 to overtake Graham Gooch. Hypocrisy...