Panesar breaks into top-10

Monty takes 10 wicket at Old Trafford to lead England to victory against West Indies. Thus far Monty has 59 wickets in 16 tests at just a shade under 30 each with a healthy strike rate of low 60's. I have been impressed by him since he made debut against India with Sachin Tendulkar being his first victim. What I distinctly remember is second wicket though, where he dismissed Mohammed Kaif. Bowling over the wicket, wide off the stumps, the ball landed on middle, drifted a bit and took the off-stump. This delivery seems to be his a real weapon and who can forget how he cleaned up Yonis Khan with an absolute beauty in the exact same manner as Kaif. I think Panesar today may be the lead spinner in the world after Murali and Kumble. I see his as good, if not better, than Harbhajan, Vettori, Kaneria. Opinions? xxx

lets give him indian citizen ship.. BTW..Ravi..your child prodigy...start ingraining the thoughts of playing for india...his identity..instill the sense of pride in him for being an indian origin kid... so that it will be easier for him to decide when he would want to pplay professional cricket..:-)
No chance in the world he will end up in India mate. He is a fierce supporter of Kiwi. Of course just like any other kid he emulates Tendulkar and wants to be like him. He's gone one notch above now, he's improved heaps since that last video I uploaded.

Monty's up there Lurks. He's done really well over the last year or so. Unlike the rest of the folks he is not flat even in ODIs. He seems to bowl to get wickets and not curtail run rate. A very bubbly character Monty. I like his attitude, playing to enjoy the sport. I think he has done well against pretty much everyone. If he does pose threat to India this summer he will have to be considered the 3rd best.

Ravi, Monty is lucky that England focusses more on Tests than ODIs. They won't drop him from the test team because of non-performance in ODIs and neither will his endorsements, contracts & playing career be over if he drops out from the ODI scene. The bane of Indian cricket is the ODI glut. Unless Indian cricket focusses on tests, it will never be good in tests. Monty's test will come too when he gets hammered in the ODIs. He will get hammered because he loves to toss the ball up & flight it. It will happen - only thing is, unlike Harbhajan, he wouldnt alter his bowling to be an ODI-minded bowler. Right now, he is #3 spinner in the world. Stands a good chance of becomming #1 left arm spinner ever, too.

Who should know how to play spinners better than Indian batsmen ? He could hardly do much better than 23 wickets @ 18.69 but he's not really a mystery man and remember, this was against not only the 8th. ranked Test team in the world but one who lost Brian Lara before the series and Ram Sarwan during (1 innings). Their one remaining class batsman seemed to play him ok.

Who should know how to play spinners better than Indian batsmen ?
Indian batsmen, in particular Tendulkar and Dravid, have been very ordinary against left arm spin over the recent years(probably spoiled by having the likes of Murali Kartik to practice against). With Monty bowling as well as he is and with the dry pitches in England expected during our tour there, I think he is going to be a big threat.

Indian batsmans should not give him much respect and play him like any other spinner they have played in the past.. a slight respect would give monty tons of confidence.. Indians have played better spinners then this Rising star Monty.. they surely should handle him easily without giving him much respect... monty is certainly bowling some devastating spells.. we surely have to watch out..but playing him like any other spinner would do it for India..

Panesar breaks into top-10 Panesar breaks into top-10 Dubai: Continuing his rise in international cricket, Monty Panesar became the highest rated England spinner in 30 years by breaking into the top-10 of LG ICC Test rankings on Wednesday. With a tally of 23 wickets in the Test series against West Indies, Panesar rose six places in the latest charts to join teammate Matthew Hoggard at the sixth position on 721 points. The 25-year-old left-armer is in the top-10 for the first time in his career and is now the highest-rated England spinner since Derek Underwood in 1977. However, the slow left-armer still has some way to go to being the top-rated England spinner of all time. That honour remains with Surrey legend Tony Lock, who reached 912 ratings points during a home series against New Zealand in 1958. With three Tests coming up against India, Panesar is just one rating point behind Shane Bond, who is fifth, and nine behind South African Shaun Pollock and Anil Kumble at joint third. Murali, Ponting on top Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan is still the highest-ranked Test bowler with South African pacer Makhaya Ntini at second place. In the batting list, Australian skipper Ricky Ponting still tops the list with Mohammad Yousuf of Pakistan at second place. Indian skipper Rahul Dravid occupies the eighth spot while Sachin Tendulkar is at joint 16th position. — PTI More...

Wow highest rated spinner for England since 1977. That's quite some achievement. Monty wasn't even an automatic choice for England in the first couple of test matches and that was unbelievable. Now he is the best England bowler and that is saying something particularly bowling in the early summer. I think he has done way better than what was expected of him.