P.Chawla first choice spinner in ODIs now?

King

Is it just because India were playing Ireland Chawla got a go or is he truly the first choice spinner in the ODIs for India now? He was chosen ahead of Powar and that confirms the team management has fair bit of faith in him. Moreover the pitch or the weather conditions weren't suitable for spin bowling. India could have gone with 4 fast bowlers considering Yuvi and Tendulkar can bowl spin but they still went with Chawla. I'm sure Chawla must be a happy chappy now.

Pawar has disappointed, to be honest. I had high hopes for him, what with his fighting knocks with the bat for Bombay and decent performances with the ball as well. But his batting has been a big fat zero at international level, and he just doesn't have the variations with the ball to trouble international batsmen. He hasn't managed to lose weight, and I am embarassed to see an overwight cricketer like that represent our country. I don't think Piyush is anything special. I think his selection shows up our poverty of spin selections post-Kumble.

maybe if he can grab about half a dozen wickets in the next two matches, i will throw my whole hearted support behind him. keep in mind that the debut is tedious, but the debut season can often to be quite successfull as the opposition does not have a strategy against you. notice how overwhelming dhoni was in his freshman year, or for that fact sehwag... heck why forget irfan pathan. and why not look outside the borders... sami, gul etc. all sensational players during the debut year, since then, we fancy our chances against them.

i agree with predator. chawla should be played in tests first. but he has done well this tour in ODIs as well. let's see.
no tests till he is of age to drink... needs the time to become mentally stiff. look at what happened to irfan after bowling in pakistain in 2006 for hours at length on placcid wickets... you lose your morale and sense of self worth.

Chawla was played in test but doesn't have enough variations to trouble high class batsmen at that level yet. He was introduced in test first, remember?? He is doing fine in ODI and he is only 18, let us not forget that. The only worry I have is that he might forget his natural ability to flight the ball, if he plays ODIs constantly. That'll be extremely harmful for us. Chawla is still learning, is not a finished article yet and needs to be handled with care!

Way too early to tell how Chawla will turn out...lets get back to this question after chawla's played 25-30 tests & 50 ODIs atleast. I agree though- he should be far more 'test oriented' than ODI- its ODI orientation that killed off Saqlain & Bhajji's game. Both started to rely on the doosra too heavily ( Bhajji doesnt bowl it as often as Saqlain but he is pretty benign these days without the doosra), both lost loop, dip & the balls to pitch the ball up and instead turned into a one dimensional 'fast & flat' spinners.

Way too early to tell how Chawla will turn out...lets get back to this question after chawla's played 25-30 tests & 50 ODIs atleast. I agree though- he should be far more 'test oriented' than ODI- its ODI orientation that killed off Saqlain & Bhajji's game. Both started to rely on the doosra too heavily ( Bhajji doesnt bowl it as often as Saqlain but he is pretty benign these days without the doosra), both lost loop, dip & the balls to pitch the ball up and instead turned into a one dimensional 'fast & flat' spinners.
i never really thought much of saqlain. once the batsmen found him out, he was taken apart repeatedly and dutifully. a recession to fundamentalist islamic values could not cheer up his diminished spirits either. he was one of those who relished on the conditions due to the pressure put by the other front line bowlers. recall that at his peak, guys like even razzaq were potent bowlers and not the contemporary pie chukers they are.