I want to retire in an honourable manner: Inzi

King

Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq wants to retire in a honourable manner after playing Test cricket for some more time. More... I want to retire in an honourable manner: Inzi Posted online: Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 2027 hours IST Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 2030 hours IST Karachi, June 24: inzamam.jpgFormer Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq wants to retire in a honourable manner after playing Test cricket for some more time. "I am not going to play for long but I do want to play a few more Tests as I think I can still contribute to Pakistan cricket," Inzamam said at a function where he was feted for his contribution to the game. The Pakistan Cricket Board is expected to award central contracts to national players and sources have indicated that Inzamam may not get one. But the burly middle-order batsman thinks he could still make a contribution despite his age. "I don't understand why they (selectors) keep on saying things about my form and fitness. Obviously if I am not fit or not in form I myself will not make myself available for selection," Inzamam said. "But the selectors should not make such a big issue of these things. I want to play Test matches but honourably and I also want to finally retire in a honourable manner," Inzamam said.

Inzi is a very good batsman but he makes no sense whatsoever saying the selectors should not make a big issue of "Form and Fitness". Inzi should have dropped himself a long time ago if it were for fitness. I think he can still go out there and score runs but I don't trust he is fit and in great form.

Inzi is a very good batsman but he makes no sense whatsoever saying the selectors should not make a big issue of "Form and Fitness". Inzi should have dropped himself a long time ago if it were for fitness. I think he can still go out there and score runs but I don't trust he is fit and in great form.
Ravi. The problem is not only Inzzy's but true for most subcontinent players. A year or so back I had heard Sachin mention(and I paraphrase) - " I have played cricket all my life. This is the only thing I know. I would like to do this as long as I can". And while most Indians were delighted by the devotion I had wondered then as to how correct is it for a person to know only one thing in life? Inzzy suffers from the same problem. All he knows is cricket. So there is little life waiting for him outside the cricket field(and he surely is not going to be a commentator/expert!). On cricket field PCB(holds true for BCCI as well) never made any long-term plans of phasing out Inzzy. The best way would have been to tell Inzzy 2 years ahead atleast of realistic expectation so he could groom a few batsmen and then fade into oblivion. However it was not so and from a captain of national team 6 months back Inzzy now wonders why everyone wants him out?? The blame lies both on players for not seeing the writing on the wall and the board for not making the writing clear. Then again whats new in sub-continent? xxx

No brainer this! He very recently won PAK a test match in SA so obviously he should be in the team. I personally don't believe in "going out on a high" rubbish, a player should continue to play until he is better than the next best choice and shouldn't aim for an Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath type retirement..if it happens then good if not then there is no need to cry about it!

a player should continue to play until he is better than the next best choice and shouldn't aim for an Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath type retirement..if it happens then good if not then there is no need to cry about it!
Do you think Inzamam deserved to play his last match in the circumstances he did ? Woolmer's death , eliminated from the world cup.. Fact of the matter is , if he still good enough to play , he should be selected. I doubt if the selectors will pick him though. For all the bad blood that has been created so far...
Do you think Inzamam deserved to play his last match in the circumstances he did ? Woolmer's death ' date=' eliminated from the world cup.. [/quote'] Sorry i am a bit confused...:confused_smile:
Fact of the matter is , if he still good enough to play , he should be selected. I doubt if the selectors will pick him though. For all the bad blood that has been created so far...
there is absolutely no doubt about the fact that he is still good enough so the selectors will have to come up with a very good excuse to drop him from the side.

The problem MP is not whether he is good enough to score runs or not but it is the political rift he can bring in a team that is led by a young captain that can set the team back. Inzi has had his share of politics while he was the captain. Now last thing Pakistan needs is a dissatisfied x captain politicking behind closed doors on tours. We all know how happy was Shoaib with Inzi. It is not like Inzi is early 20s either, he has had his time and it is time for him to put down the bat.

The problem MP is not whether he is good enough to score runs or not but it is the political rift he can bring in a team that is led by a young captain that can set the team back. Inzi has had his share of politics while he was the captain. Now last thing Pakistan needs is a dissatisfied x captain politicking behind closed doors on tours. We all know how happy was Shoaib with Inzi. It is not like Inzi is early 20s either' date=' he has had his time and it is time for him to put down the bat.[/quote'] Why should we automatically assume that such things will happen? the current captain himself has come out and said that he would love to have Inzamam in the side so when the captain wants a player in the side and he is still at least the 3rd best batsman in the country then there is no reason to keep him out of the team.

Going by history of this team Shoaib and Inzi will be involved in fist fights while Shoaib Malik will have to rest himself on a chair in one corner of the room with no control whatsoever. Three men that Pakistan at this point in time needs to avoid are Shoaib, Afridi and Inzi in that order IMO.

Going by history of this team Shoaib and Inzi will be involved in fist fights while Shoaib Malik will have to rest himself on a chair in one corner of the room with no control whatsoever. Three men that Pakistan at this point in time needs to avoid are Shoaib' date=' Afridi and Inzi in that order IMO.[/quote'] well then it's time for Shoaib and Afridi to start behaving like adults if not then the management must take immediate action! At the end of the day the best team should be chosen for test cricket and Inzi is definitely a part of this best 11.
Sorry i am a bit confused...:confused_smile:
I was trying to say -- If the world cup game against Zim is to be inzy's last match , then it would be sad,since it there was this cloud over woolmer's death and the agony of being eliminated from the world cup.
I was trying to say -- If the world cup game against Zim is to be inzy's last match ' date=' then it would be sad,since it there was this cloud over woolmer's death and the agony of being eliminated from the world cup.[/quote'] oh ...i was thinking something else:tounge_smile: Yeah it would be sad but it wouldn't be anything new because other than Imran none of our great cricketers have had a fairy tale ending to their careers.