'90 per cent of PCB decisions are wrong'

Sir john

Former Pakistan captain Javed Miandad has slammed the PCB, claiming that 90 per cent of the decisions taken by the board were erroneous. Miandad, who is employed as the Director, Cricket Affairs, in the PCB since 2008 on a lucrative package said after closely observing the working of the board, he was convinced that majority of the decisions taken by the officials were wrong. While closely watching the functioning of the PCB, I am disappointed and feel that 90 per cent decisions taken by the board are wrong and are spoiling the sport in the country, Miandad told the Dawn newspaper. I am not part of the PCB planning only because I require power and freedom to work since I have given 35 years to Pakistan cricket and earned a good name, said Miandad, Pakistan's highest Test run-getter. People around the world regard my services as a cricketer but the PCB doesn't want to give me authority to improve Pakistan cricket, said the 54-year-old administrator. This is not the first time that Miandad has publicly lashed out at the PCB working under the chairmanship of Ijaz Butt, who has been in power since October, 2008. The two have not seen eye to eye on many issues although recently Miandad worked as a batting consultant with the national team during their training camps at home but declined to travel abroad with the squad. Butt has largely kept Miandad on the sidelines and the former captain has also faced criticism for not playing his due role and just enjoying the perks and benefits of a lucrative package from the board. Miandad, who coached Pakistan team in the past, has also not been happy with the national selectors for repeatedly ignoring his nephew Faisal Iqbal despite his good performances in domestic cricket. Last month, Iqbal had lashed out at the PCB for ignoring him in the new central contracts offered to 23 players, saying that he was left out for being Miandad's relative. The veteran cricketer said he has already brought the affairs of the board to the notice of chief patron, President Asif Ali Zardari. I will soon meet him again to apprise him of the poor condition of cricket in Pakistan. I will request him to either take necessary steps to improve cricket matters or allow me to leave the PCB voluntarily, said Miandad, who featured in 124 Tests and 233 One-day Internationals for Pakistan. Miandad said the PCB had even ignored the directives of President Zardari on cricket issues. The PCB did not even follow the instructions of President Zardari which he had given to the board last time on my suggestions, he added. The PCB had also ignored Miandad while forming the special committee to shortlist and recommend the new coach of the national team after the resignation of Waqar Younis while including some other former players including Zaheer Abbas and Rameez Raja on the committee. This latest cold shoulder treatment has upset Miandad a lot which is why he has again criticised Butt and his policies, a source in the board said.