Champions League 2011

Andy

And I have a question for you to answer when you return back. How did we not win CL other than the 1999 , when we had scholes and Keane in the midfield, in fact our performance at Europe was not Good enough.
For starters i was not old enough to watch CL in 90's so not sure. So my guess(only guess) would be: 1) All english clubs were banned from CL till 1995.So English clubs strength were always at a disadvantage when it came to experience in CL. 2)Another reason is 4-4-2 which is perfect for PL football.But for continental football u need to play 4-3-3 to dominate in midfield.One reason why i thought the invincible Arsenal team lost too.
And how did we win CL in 2008 when many teams had better midfield than us.
How many midfields to u actually think were better than United in 2008?Only Chelsea and Liverpool probably.But u had quality in there. U had Hargreves who was fit for once and Carrick was actually playing well then and ofcourse Scholes still had his moments of brilliance.Like against Barca in Semi.Not many teams had a better midfield than that. Barca were in shambles even finishing 3rd in their league and having all kind of fights with Rijkarrd.Bayern and Madrid had nowhere near the quality they have now. Its no co-incidence the only time United won CL this decade was when they had a world class DM and played 4-3-3.Is it? Ofcourse having the best player in the world helps too. I am not saying u will certainly win if u just have a quality midfield but more like U wont win if dont have a quality midfield against strong continental teams.

For starters i was not old enough to watch CL in 90's so not sure. So my guess(only guess) would be: 1) All english clubs were banned from CL till 1995.So English clubs strength were always at a disadvantage when it came to experience in CL. 2)Another reason is 4-4-2 which is perfect for PL football.But for continental football u need to play 4-3-3 to dominate in midfield.One reason why i thought the invincible Arsenal team lost too. How many midfields to u actually think were better than United in 2008?Only Chelsea and Liverpool probably.But u had quality in there. U had Hargreves who was fit for once and Carrick was actually playing well then and ofcourse Scholes still had his moments of brilliance.Like against Barca in Semi.Not many teams had a better midfield than that. Barca were in shambles even finishing 3rd in their league and having all kind of fights with Rijkarrd.Bayern and Madrid had nowhere near the quality they have now. Its no co-incidence the only time United won CL this decade was when they had a world class DM and played 4-3-3.Is it? Ofcourse having the best player in the world helps too. I am not saying u will certainly win if u just have a quality midfield but more like U wont win if dont have a quality midfield against strong continental teams.
Excellent point. Hargreaves was a world class holding midfielder when fit. It's a shame that his career has been blighted by injury.

Iniesta only came into prominence only next season after Guardiola became coach.They had Deco who was the main man in midfield till then.
And what about Man United from 2000-2004. We had world class midfield then. Give us Keane and Scholes of those years now, surely we can challenge even the best.

Great for Napoli. Superb front three- Cavani is the best striker in Europe on current form. Hope he stays in the Serie A. Want Bayern to go far too. I want guys like Silva and Aguero to win a CL' date= so feel bad for them in a way.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/8908951/Graphic-How-Arsenals-Robin-van-Persie-compares-to-Europes-hotshots-in-2011.html make that 9th best :winky: