Siachen War hero dies valiantly.

gator

A really brave son of the mother laid down his life yesterday.... RIP _____________________________________________________________- A valiant junior commissioned officer and a hero of the Siachen conflict, Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, was killed on Sunday even as he shot down five intruding terrorists near the Line of Control in North Kashmir. Lal, belonging to the Jammu and Kashmir [Images] Light Infantry, displayed exemplary courage and leadership when he charged at a group of heavily-armed terrorists who had sneaked across the LoC on Sunday night. According to official reports, Lal was heading a party of troops, which had trapped all escape routes of intruding terrorists when he found that another group was attempting to join the fight to break the cordon. Not caring for his life, Lal charged into the group, killing three terrorists with his bayonet and gunning down two others, before falling to bullets. According to reports, 'this act of great bravery, leadership and supreme sacrifice by Subedar Chunni Lal not only resulted in elimination of five Pakistani terrorists, but also saved the lives of fellow soldiers under his command.' This is not the first time Lal had courted danger. He was awarded the Sena Medal for his role in the capture of key Bana post at a height of 21,153 feet on Siachen glacier and a Vir Chakra for peace keeping operations in Sudan.

Hats off the Subedar Chunni Lal. We Indians exist because men like him lay down their lives every single day for their nation and countrymen. I hope the Government of India takes good care of its soldiers and specially the family left behind by men like Chunni Lal. Jai Hind!

i never get this... how does a man conjure up the spirit and conviction to march into the ranks of the enemy, well aware that this chances of survival are bleak to nonexistent, for the simple sake of an obscure ideal and the full realization that within weeks his name and legacy will be lost in time "like tears in the rain". my most humble salute to this valiant son of this great nation of ours. may his sacrifice not be lost and his example forever remembered! JAI HIND.

Guest dada_rocks

:thefinger: for MOFO paki terrorists Subedaar Chunni laal we are indebted to u.........Jumping on them with bayonets that's brave.... Monetatry help sounds like very good idea someone figure out his where-abouts. Eventually govt aid will come to his family but more often than not it gets dealyed so it will be very nice to help them in the meantime........

Guest dada_rocks

In a fierce firefight with militants in Kupwara Sector of J&K, a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) decorated twice earlier for gallantry, was martyred yesterday in Kupwara Sector of Jammu and Kashmir. As per reports reaching here, troops of a Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry (JAK LI) battalion observed some suspicious move near the line of control (LC) during the intervening night of 23/24 June in Keran sector of Kupwara district. Due to low clouds and poor visibility the movement of terrorists could not be tracked very effectively at night. A search party led by Naib Subear Chunni Lal was launched in the morning hours of Sunday to ascertain facts. The JCO led his troops from the front, though with caution. The troops were fired upon by a group of terrorists hiding near LC. The JCO retaliated immediately with heavy volume of fire. The young JCO putting his acumen into act maneuvered his troops to block all escape routes of the terrorists. This led to elimination of two fleeing terrorists at the outset, the remaining terrorists finding themselves surrounded and out maneuvered made a suicidal bid to escape, injuring two soldiers. Sensing the criticality of the situation and threat to life of his fellow soldiers Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, with total disregard to personal safety not witnessed very often, charged at the terrorists. This act of daredevilry took the remaining three terrorists by total surprise. The JCO though wounded and profusely bleeding, continued to fire at the terrorists till all the remaining three terrorists were killed. This act of great bravery, leadership and supreme sacrifice by a Naib Subear Chunni Lal not only resulted in elimination of five Pak trained terrorists but also saved the lives of his fellow soldiers under his command. Late Naib Subedar Chunni Lal was born in the year 1968 in Baderwah. He joined the JAK LI in 1984. During the course of training he excelled in military subjects, displayed courage and camaraderie, displaying the potentials of making of a great soldier from the very beginning. On joining his unit, young Chunni Lal lived up to the promise of an ideal soldier when in the year 1987, he volunteered and played an important role in capturing the now famous ‘BANA Post’ located at 21153 feet in the Siachen Glacier, the highest battle filed in the world. For this act of Gallantry he was awarded the SENA MEDAL. Not letting past glories and laurels dull his basic soldierly instincts, zeal and determination to excel, he set for him even higher goals and continued to display a high degree of devotion to duty. He became an example to emulate when in the year 1999 while serving with his unit in the Poonch Sector in ‘OPERATION RAKSHAK’ he fought an attempted intrusion by Pakistan Army and was instrumental in beating back the Pakistan attack on the post. For this act of gallantry he was awarded the VIR CHAKRA. An asset to Indian Army and the nation, Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, VIR CHAKRA, SENA MEDAL yet again displayed his utility and unflinching devotion to duty when serving in the difficult operating situation of Sudan as a peacekeeper with the United Nations. Here too he was at the forefront in the operations at Malakal. For this action, the Battalion received the United Nations Citation for valour. The valiant JCO belongs to Village Bhaar, Malothi of Bhadarwah tehsil in Doda District of J&K. He will be cremated with full military honours on Wednesday. He is survived by his wife, Mrs Chinta Devi and two children – a 16 year old son and a eight years old daughter. GKD u are right he was kashmiri. Man we lost very efficient soldier, it was not his first tryst with bravery, was instrumental even in siachin capture even in 1999 Kargil conflict.

In general does our armed forces/govt take care of the family left behind? It must be very tough fighting these kute in J&K. VERY harsh terrain for combat! On top of that places like Srinagar at night time must be nightmare to patrol!

Guest dada_rocks

usually those who die in combat do get petrol pump these days but u know it's India u will have to grease several palms in order to get that and many times poor soldiers family just give up. Recently there was a film based on this real life travesty of a Kargil hero's family. Chunni lal seems to be very decoarted soldier so things presumably should be smooth for him.

THX and DR - excellent idea... i will try to find out... but i have never done this before' date=' so it will be better if more people try to find out, so better chances....[/quote'] i am not in india right now but i have asked my brother to look into it. please let me know if something can be arranged, i can handle the thing from here, like getting a charity declared and having it tax exempted, and if all else fails, we can simply accumulate the funds and send it to the lady!