Irani Trophy Discussion thread - Rajasthan v/s Rest of India - October 1-5th

saneindian

The Rest of India squad which will take on Ranji Trophy champions Rajasthan in Irani Cup clash in Jaipur next month will be picked in Mumbai on September 23. The October 1-5 match assumes importance as the selection committee can use this opportunity to test form and fitness of key Indian players ahead of the five match home one-day series against England from October 14. The Rest of India squad will take on Ranji Trophy champions Rajasthan in Irani Cup from October 1-5. With a host of players getting injured during the tour of England, the Irani Cup match will be key for many senior Indian players to get a decent outing before another round international matches come calling. Virender Sehwag might lead the Rest of India if he has regained full fitness. The committee that includes new entrant Mohinder Amarnath, would also have to select the three teams - India Red, India Blue and India Green - soon to figure in the N K P Salve Challenger Series of one day matches scheduled at Nagpur from October 10-12.http://cricketnext.in.com/news/roi-team-for-irani-cup-to-be-announced-on-sep-23/60211-13.html Will be interesting who they pick for the ROI team especially the bowling unit. Will the likes of Aaron, Umesh be given a chance here? A number of young batsmen are unavailable either due to injury (Pujara, Rohit) or due to CLt20 commitments (Raina, Kohli, Mukund etc). My Choice- Sehwag ©, Rahane, Dhawan, Parthiv, Manish Pandey, Yuvraj Singh, Mandeep Singh, Ojha, Aaron, Umesh Yadav, Sreesanth, Unadkat, Bhargav Bhatt

It is a tough task to select a Rest Of India squad, I would like to see this team. Mukund Dhawan not the best average , being a left hander, also has some class maybe Murali instead of him Rahane Tiwary U Kaul [wk] Pandey R Sharma Jaggi this guy has potential Rayudu he has the pedigree needs some avenue to prove himself B Bhatt Abdulla allrounder Rahul Sharma might not have great numbers but can be a good bowler in test as well , his growth hampered by injury Irfan Pathan best way to see where he is at also to give this team test star presence Pawan Suyal one more option as a left hander with Promise Aaron LOL HOPEFULLY CAN PROVE TO dHONI WHAT HE MISSED Tyagi after a great start and injury we need to keep an eye on him , has some pedigree could be a test player for India This is not solely based on sheer weight of runs or wickets , factors like average, strike rates,potential, building team , finding replacements for our test team

No' date=' just no. :hysterical:[/quote'] you havent watched him much then..i am seeing him since 2004 U19 WC and had high hopes but was ignored by selectors despite being the highest scorer and other guys of the seam team were given ample chances. This is why I do believe based on talent we need to give our players chances when they are young and in form because our domestic cricket quality is so low that they rarely can take their game up to international standard by playing Indian domestic cricket.
you havent watched him much then..i am seeing him since 2004 U19 WC and had high hopes but was ignored by selectors despite being the highest scorer and other guys of the seam team were given ample chances. This is why I do believe based on talent we need to give our players chances when they are young and in form because our domestic cricket quality is so low that they rarely can take their game up to international standard by playing Indian domestic cricket.
Brah, I watched him since the U19 WC as well. :cantstop: He will never be a successful test player. I will bet my house on it.
Brah, I watched him since the U19 WC as well. :cantstop: He will never be a successful test player. I will bet my house on it.
Who said he will be successful test player? I am talking about ODIs only. There have been several class players who have been failures at test level and no class players like Chanderpaul have been successful.
Obviously the selectors think that a player has a future in tests if he is picked in this squad. If you don't think he is going to be a test player' date=' why would you pick him for the Irani Trophy match? This is not an OD match.[/quote'] That is the problem with selectors. They need to watch domestic matches and pick players who have done in longer versions of the game. Lets see if he is being picked or not for Irani Trophy. He has not yet been picked. He did not have a good FC season last year.

Big game for Sehwag and Yuvraj to get in shape for the ODI series vs England. Also huge game for the likes of Rahane, Aaron, Ojha if they are picked. Sreesanth might get another shot at redemtpion after a disastrous tour of England. As I said in another thread, if Aaron gets picked, will be the first time people will watch him live in a first class match.