NKP Salve Challenger Trophy, 2011 : Teams announced (Oct10-13)

saneindian

Should Fletcher be at Nagpur watching Challenger Trophy? Read somewhere that Fletcher will be joining the team for Eng series on 11th Oct. Now as a coach he has hardly spent time in India, went to WI and from there directly to WI. Not sure how much of Indian domestic cricket he has watched except the IPL and CL. Ideally he should have been at the Irani Trophy match following some of the ROI players, spending time with them and also with the selectors many of whom were at Jaipur following the match. That has obviously not happened. So the logical thing should be to ask him to be in Nagpur where Challenger Trophy is being played, ideally a couple of days before the matches begin so that he can talk to the young players and watch them in nets. That ways it gives him a chance to watch the best talents outside the national team. Once the home season starts, he will hardly get time till the next IPL to watch even a single domestic match. Comeon Guru Duncan, pack your bags and be in Nagpur where our future players will be playing the Challenger Trophy.

Of course thats what Fletcher should be doing but he's probably in a retirement home somewhere living off the silly money that the BCCI foolishly gave him.
I was disappointed when Fletcher was appointed as a coach. I would have liked some one young coach who had fresh ideas rather a veteran.

We need to give him time, right now Dhoni is calling all the shots, Fletcher has a proven track record, very good with players and also very good at picking up right players especially pacers .I just hope he gets more assertive and hopefully has a vision and is allowed to take India thru it's transition phase, hopefully he is aware of upcoming talent bowling and batting wise to make right choices and punt for players, coz I doubt Dhoni's ability in doing that.With live coverage of domestic games I am sure he can watch any game he wants to watch and make notes on players,with Eric Simons watching most Indian players in IPL , I am pretty sure he is aware of most our bowlers.

Yes he shud be asked to watch by selectros and even if he is not askeed he shud have stayed by himself just to C whom he thinks shud Play... I wud Love to be the Coach of India team if I cAn get thru the interview process and I wud for sure wud have seen challenger.... If he refuses he shud be dropped as a coach and then we shud hire a new one

Fletcher is largely responsible for the development of the current crop of english batters and some of their bowlers as well. So he has a good track record. However, the primary job of the national coach is to train the national team. Strictly speaking, he is not responsible for coaching every B team in the country. It is the selectors job to scout for proper talent and blood those budding players in the international arena where Fletcher can hone their skills. If the selectors fail to do their job then it's not Fletchers fault. If you look at the head coaches from almost all professional sports (football, basketball, hockey, etc) you will realize that those guys focus on the senior team and don't spend time scouting the B team. I would definitely want fletcher to provide complete attention to the senior team rather than be all over the place

WRONG!! The South Africa cricket system takes all the credit!
I know we are having a hard time digesting the shellacking given by the kolpak english team but for goodness sakes stop this naivety. The south african cricket system can not even get their own team to a world championship in either tests or odi's :haha: Yes a couple of the english test players have played their formative cricket in south africa but so what? No one is stopping our team from recruiting fast bowlers from pakistan (that is if we can make sure that they won't get the match fixing culture in our side)

If you get paid over 1 million USD a year, you will not do anything that is going to cause problems. So Fletcher most likely will just say little and sit in his chair. He is old now. He doesn't have to do anything if Dhoni and Sachin are running things. So what do we expect? He has a huge retirement home in Cape Town and this money we pay him just helps him build even more. As long as Fletcher says nothing, does little, doesn't upset people, makes the right noises and keep out of the limelight, then he can protect his salary. Whats disappointing is the fact that he has instilled no fight or passion into the team, so is not even a motivator.

Players prepare to grapple with new rules The 2011 NKP Salve Challenger Trophy gets underway in Nagpur today where several national-team aspirants will rub shoulders with established India players in the 50-over format. The tournament will - as will the remainder of India's domestic season - incorporate the latest rule changes agreed on by the ICC and its member boards during the annual conference in Hong Kong in July. The changes came into effect on October 1, and were in force for the tour game between England XI and Hyderabad Cricket Academy XI last week. The rule changes include the abolition of runners, the use of new balls from each end in one-dayers and allowing batting and bowling Powerplays to be taken only between the 16th and 40th overs. In addition, batsmen can be given out 'obstructing the field' if they change their course while running to prevent a run-out chance, and bowlers can run out non-striker's if they back up unfairly. "There are so many aspects to the rules that I will come to grips with it as the match progresses," S Badrinath, the captain of the India Blue team, was quoted as saying in the Hindu, in response to the new Powerplay regulations. "The rule changes will bring in a sense of fairplay, help the bowler play a more decisive role in ODIs," Shikhar Dhawan, part of India Red, said. "With the Powerplay not in force from the 41st over, bowlers can perform a lot more freely. Cricket is supposed to be loaded in favour of the batsmen, but the bowlers will also have a say now. "The quality bowlers who are able to move the ball will be effective as the ball will retain its sheen," he said, about the use of two new balls. Not everyone felt the changes would benefit the bowlers, though. "It will be like a 25-over game with the new ball," Irfan Pathan, who'll be playing for India Blue, said. "The art of reverse swing with the old ball will reduce. As a bowler, I should not be saying it, but I am looking forward to the challenge. "Limited-overs cricket will be more entertaining for the crowd with the batsmen likely to hit more boundaries and targets getting re-arranged." Each team will play each other once in the league stage, with the top two teams progressing to the final that will be played on October 13. India Blue: S. Badrinath (capt), M Vijay, Paul Valthaty, Manish Pandey, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Mandeep Singh, Saurabh Tiwary, Irfan Pathan, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, YV Krishanatry, Prashant Parameshwaran, Pradeep Sangwan and Tanmay Srivastava India Red: Gautam Gambhir (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Abhinav Mukund, Ambati Rayudu, Ashok Menaria, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Jalaj Saxena, Piyush Chawla, Bhargav Bhatt, Pankaj Singh, Jaydev Unadkat, TP Sudhindra, Yusuf Pathan and RP Singh India Green: Harbhajan Singh (capt), Robin Uthappa (wk), S Anirudha, T Suman, Mohnish Ishra, Ishank Jaggi, Mohammad Kaif, C Gautham, Sarabjit Ladda, Iqbal Abdulla, Abhimanyu Mithun, Samad Fallah, Ishwar Choudhary and Sumit Narwal http://www.espncricinfo.com/challenger-trophy-2011/content/story/535782.html 104095.2.jpg

Challenger Trophy : India Blue vs India Red, Jamtha, Nagpur, 10th October 2011 India Blue vs India Red 10th October India Blue squad S Badrinath*, KD Karthik? YV Krishanatry, Mandeep Singh, A Mishra, PP Ojha, MK Pandey, P Parameswaran, IK Pathan, PJ Sangwan, TM Srivastava, SS Tiwary, PC Valthaty, M Vijay India Red squad BA Bhatt, PP Chawla, S Dhawan, G Gambhir*, AL Menaria, A Mukund, Pankaj Singh, YK Pathan, AT Rayudu, WP Saha? Jalaj S Saxena, RP Singh, TP Sudhindra, JD Unadkat