Muslim students refuse to eat mid-day meal cooked by dalit woman in an urdu school

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
http://bihartimes.com/news07/June/28614.html

Muslim students refuse food cooked by Dalit woman Patna, June 28: Dozens of Muslim students of a government-run Urdu school in a Bihar village have refused to take mid-day meals cooked by a Dalit woman.

"We will not touch the food. There is no question of taking food cooked by a woman belonging to the scheduled caste," said Nurjahan Bano, an eight-year-old student of Amri Urdu middle school in Rohtas district, about 150 km from here. Md Aslam Ansari, a teacher in the school, admitted that Muslim students were not eating mid-day meals for nearly a month. "It is an unfortunate thing," he said. "All the Muslim students of the school refused to eat food cooked by a Dalit woman," villager Naushad Alam said. There are over 100 students in the school. Some parents of the school students are responsible for the decision, Alam said. "Last month, only a few students refused to eat food cooked by a Dalit woman but later most of the students followed them," he said. No official has visited the school so far despite a complaint filed by the Dalit woman who used to cook for the students under the mid-day meal scheme. The district administration officials are planning to visit the school for an inspection. "We will inquire into the case soon," district official Ramnarain said.

I dont give a damn to the students being muslim or the cook being Dalit or whatever. But , just this line freaked me out. ""...............There is no question of taking food cooked by a woman belonging to the scheduled caste," said Nurjahan Bano, an eight-year-old student of Amri Urdu.......... An eight year saying those words ! God save this planet !

Ashraf = high caste muslim Ajlaf = low caste muslim. Typically, Ashrafi muslims are those who consider themselves (or produce some obscure proof) to be direct discendants of the muslim barbarians who came through arabia/afghanistan. Ajlaf are low caste muslims who are considered to be 'hindoos who converted' and their descendabts.

Guest dada_rocks

religious discussion is not ON guys... But have to say this as per some quran/hadith; revelation came to arabia because other regions have had their share of prophets whereas arabia was left in lurch hence presumably was jaahil...By look of things even revelation hasn't helped them out. So what's the point of celebrating jaahil ancestry... BTW it was even claimed that revelation was meant for arabs only. Needless to say like many other revelations in course of time messenger had course-correction and widened the ambit for all humanity. This news is nothing Bihar has many skeletons in its basket media keeps away from it fearing vindication of BJP's ideology. There happens to be a district called katihaar there hindus are not allowed to creamte their dead if they must they need to go out of the district. This law is in force thanks to the fear of tasleemudiin and his cronies there. Demography in Katihaar [ 67:33::Muslim:Hindu]

Someone should ask that little brat if she's an Ashraf or an Ajlaf first. Muslims from Afghanistan to Bangladesh care more whether they are Ashraf or Ajlaf caste than hindus do with brahmin/shudra.
As a bangladeshi living most of my life in Bangladesh, never heard of terms called ashraf and ajlaf and whatever that may mean. there is NO caste system among muslims in Bangladesh. i couldnt care less about caste-system among other muslims in the sub-continent but i can safely bet theres nothing like that in my country.

As a bangladeshi living most of my life in Bangladesh, never heard of terms called ashraf and ajlaf and whatever that may mean.
And i can identify, right now, 12 bangladeshi families i know/have known personally who are quite proud of their Ashrafi heritage and look down upon the Ajlaf. You may not have seen it and your immediate social circle may be superbly humane- but subcontinental muslims care a LOT about Ashraf/Ajlaf stuff. There are hindus too here who havnt seen any caste-based discrimination with their own two eyes. Doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Oh and the middle eastern muslims too care about caste- to them, its not Ashraf and Aljaf, to them its Ismaili and non-islmailis.
but i can safely bet theres nothing like that in my country.
Koto taka bet korben aapni ? I am ready to take you up on this bet.

And i can identify, right now, 12 bangladeshi families i know/have known personally who are quite proud of their Ashrafi heritage and look down upon the Ajlaf.
OKAY.. identify them.. i've organization to contact them and verify ur claim.

OKAY.. identify them.. i've organization to contact them and verify ur claim.
Eh ??? You work for CIA/NSA ? Ok. here is a name then : Assad-ul-Islam Choudhury. Lives in Vancouver. Lets see whether your 'contacts' can come up with his profession. :sleep::hmmmm:

Eh ??? You work for CIA/NSA ? Ok. here is a name then : Assad-ul-Islam Choudhury. Lives in Vancouver. Lets see whether your 'contacts' can come up with his profession. :sleep::hmmmm:
well.. give me his email address and phne number.. how else are we going to contact him.. and u were supposed to give me 12 names. and just to touch on the point of me not seeing any caste based prejudice.. not only that i never saw it, i never ever heard of it. how come me being a 30+ age old guy never came across those 2 words if they are so persistant in the society i live in. the simple reason is they dont exist.

well.. give me his email address and phne number.. how else are we going to contact him
Didnt you just say you got organizations that can find out this stuff ?!? eh ???
and u were supposed to give me 12 names.
Aagey akta-ke sambhlaan..tar por baki agaro-takey dekhben.
not only that i never saw it, i never ever heard of it.
Muslim society is good in terms of controlling information that depicts itself in a negetive light. Thats no secret. Find me a muslim society that talks about the caste-ills in muslim societies first, then talk. Or are you gonna deny that Ajlaf/Ashraf/Ismaili etc simply do not exist in Islamic societies at all ?
how come me being a 30+ age old guy never came across those 2 words if they are so persistant in the society i live in. the simple reason is they dont exist.
Same nonsense i've heard from people who deny caste in hinduism. But they are less in # because our media is far more neutral in its reporting than Bangladeshi media is on this issue.

Didnt you just say you got organizations that can find out this stuff ?!? eh ???
No i said my organization has the credibility to call up people and ask them and then find out about the validity of ur statement.. we dont spy on people.
Muslim society is good in terms of controlling information that depicts itself in a negetive light. Thats no secret. Find me a muslim society that talks about the caste-ills in muslim societies first, then talk. Or are you gonna deny that Ajlaf/Ashraf/Ismaili etc simply do not exist in Islamic societies at all ?
Not here to defend any other islamic, muslim society. u can say whatever u want to say about them, doesnt bother me. i'm only posting to clear misconception that u r spreading about caste system existing in Bangladeshi muslims and i hv seen nothing specific yet on this issue. well, u r claiming u know 12 banglaeshis who claim to be ashrafi which is very strange. specially, up against the fact that me being a bangladeshi myself never heard any of thousands of my friends, relatives, neighbours, collegues ever using the words like ashrafi and ajlafi.
Same nonsense i've heard from people who deny caste in hinduism. But they are less in # because our media is far more neutral in its reporting than Bangladeshi media is on this issue.
there is no issue thus no reporting.

hold on... didn't muslims want special considerations and reservations identical to those currently afforded to the SC/ST(s)??? one would imagine that by their warped logic, what is good for the goose ought to be good for the gander.

No i said my organization has the credibility to call up people and ask them and then find out about the validity of ur statement.. we dont spy on people.
Err okay...so you want to call up people and ask them 'are you racist/casteist ?' and you expect an honest answer...righto ! Delusion would be a more appropriate term for your comment than reality.
specially, up against the fact that me being a bangladeshi myself never heard any of thousands of my friends, relatives, neighbours, collegues ever using the words like ashrafi and ajlafi.
As i said so many times- the world is far bigger than the limited experiences of an individual- be it you or me. Either you accept that or i must say you are deliberately denying a problem inside your society. I am a bengali too, i got family in bangladesh too so please dont make it seem like i dont know whats going on there.
there is no issue thus no reporting.
Or there is an issue like with hindu bangladeshis being discriminated against and there is no reporting. As i said, turkey apart, find me a SINGLE islamic society that sees the ills in islam/shariat government and then we can talk. You all pretend it is perfect and the ills simply do not exist.

@Respect How can you be without even hearing these terms in your life ? thats strange.
becoz it is non-existant in bangladeshi society. if u ever go to bangladesh, please ask anyone u meet there, u'll get a same blank look as u r getting here from me. since i stumbled on to this thread i've asked few of my friends in IM about it and they are just totally in dark.. one of my friends asked, "is this a ashraful fan club??"

Now , this is truly strange. We have one person claiming that this particular phenomenon is pretty widespread among the people he knows , while we hav another person coming from that place saying he hasnt even HEARD about it.

if u ever go to bangladesh, please ask anyone u meet there, u'll get a same blank look as u r getting here from me
Ummm..HELLO...i've BEEN to Bangladesh..i still have FAMILY there...your blank look is either feigning ignorance or true ignorance of the situation. Pick one that suits, really.

Err okay...so you want to call up people and ask them 'are you racist/casteist ?' and you expect an honest answer...righto ! Delusion would be a more appropriate term for your comment than reality.
strange, yet they confine to you, not one but twelve of them that they are ashrafi - 'THE HIGHER CASTE' .. do u see now why its so hard for me accept ur claim. i'm still waiting for the contact address of those 12 bangladeshis. we're not going to make it difficult. i can assure u its going to be a friendly chat. if we find it to be an issue in bangladeshi society we'll make it a priority issue in our forum.
As i said so many times- the world is far bigger than the limited experiences of an individual- be it you or me. Either you accept that or i must say you are deliberately denying a problem inside your society. I am a bengali too, i got family in bangladesh too so please dont make it seem like i dont know whats going on there.
Lot of noise.. no fact.
Or there is an issue like with hindu bangladeshis being discriminated against and there is no reporting. As i said, turkey apart, find me a SINGLE islamic society that sees the ills in islam/shariat government and then we can talk. You all pretend it is perfect and the ills simply do not exist.
again, lots of issues which dont bother me at all.. only society which i care about is mine. if and when i see problem, i try ot raise it. hindus do get discriminated, its a problem in our society which should be highlighted more.. not that media doesnt. Janakantha, Daily-star which had highest circulation of all newspapers in BD, reported thoroughly the incidents of 2001. still they should do more, they should look out for these stories than waiting for these stories to come to them. I can see why u brought up this issue, so now u can go on with ur long lengthy road of never ending debate without really giving any substantial proof of ur claims about that ashrafi thing..or u maybe u'll try to connect some distant dots and jump on it.