Marooned Irfan plays for Lanka

Pune, June 28: Desperate to prove his fitness and get back into Team India, Irfan Pathan found a unique way to get vital match practice. He turned up for Sri Lanka Cricket Academy in the ongoing Maharashtra Cricket Association Challenge Trophy in Chennai on Thursday. The southpaw, who is in Chennai with the MRF Pace Foundation requested the Sri Lanka Cricket Academy officials — also in Chennai for the ongoing quadrangular series — if he could be included in their playing eleven against the Secretary’s XI. Irfan’s request was gracefully accepted and MCA tournament committee chairman Riyaz Bagwan confirmed the fact. “The SLCA officials had absolutely no problem, instead they said it would be a pleasure to have him on the team,†Bagwan informed The Indian Express. Irfan, who had refined his raw ability at the Dennis Lillee-assisted Foundation, has once again opted to train at the foundation after being dropped from the Indian team. Playing for SLCA, the Baroda-based cricketer contributed 29 runs in SLCA’s first innings score of 128 and later utilised the opportunity to the fullest by removing the dangerous looking Dheeraj Jadhav in his six-over spell. “He had a good match and it was a really sporting gesture on the part of visiting Emerald Island team,†Bagwan added.

Good on him, he's not giving up which is good to see. I remember Kiran More mentioning he used to still go to training day in day out despite the riots at his home town couple of years or three ago. Hard work will always pay. I'm sure he will make a fantastic come back.

Good to see that he's not giving up and working hard to EARN his spot back into the team. I still hope and pray that he can come back and start bowling like he was after his debut. Would be such a monumental shame to have such an awesome talent go to waste.

So sad.!..maine jab padha to aakhon mein pani aa gaya...bechara pathan.I hope he gets back soon.
He will be back.The kid's got lot of potential. I don't want to go into y his form dipped n all that stuff...but i sincerely do hope he gets back. Ive never been so hopeful about an young bowler as i was with him.