ICC gives nod to free-hit, additional fielder in power play

King

The ICC on Friday okayed a number of changes to playing conditions at its annual meeting. More... ICC gives nod to free-hit, additional fielder in power play June 29, 2007 21:59 IST Cricket's bias towards batsmen keeps growing with ICC [Images] giving its nod to a change in playing conditions which empowers a batsman to go for a free-hit without fearing a dismissal in the delivery following a front-foot no-ball. The International Cricket Council on Friday okayed a number of changes to playing conditions at its annual meeting. Accordingly, if a bowler bowls a front foot no-ball in an ODI, the following delivery will be deemed a free-hit and the batsman cannot be dismissed by the bowler from that delivery. The changes would come into effect from October 1, ICC said in a statement. It has also decided that an additional fielder would be allowed outside the fielding circle during the second or third power play in ODIs. In case a one-day innings is reduced, the number of overs making up each of the three power plays shall be reduced proportionately. There will also be a mandatory change of ball after 35 overs of each innings in ODIs. The replacement will be a clean used ball. ICC also decided that the minimum boundary sizes in all international matches will be increased with the square boundary measuring at least 150 yards from one side of the ground to the other.

And i quite dont understand this step of allowing one additionel fielder outside the powerplay, the basis behind it. Did the captains go and complain that too many runs were scored during powerplays or something ? On one hand , the ICC introduces free-hits and on the other , it relaxes fielding restrictions in power plays. Strange.

And i quite dont understand this step of allowing one additionel fielder outside the powerplay' date=' the basis behind it. Did the captains go and complain that too many runs were scored during powerplays or something ? On one hand , the ICC introduces free-hits and on the other , it relaxes fielding restrictions in power plays. Strange.[/quote'] It is good, there has to be a decent balance between bat and ball. Right now it is heavily loaded against the bowlers. First there were 15 overs of fielding restrictions but then they introduced 20 overs which made it really hard for the bowlers. I quite like where it is heading right now.
The free hits will add spice to the game' date=' without doubt. You will have batsman trying all sorts of weird shots to get maximum use out of it, it will look good on T.V[/quote'] Has been a bit of a flop here. They use it in the domestic one day comp. Many of these free hits result in dot balls or ones and twos. Not sure why. "Perhaps they may ban the yorker and the outswinger also." Dennis Lillee when asked about the proposed free-hit rule in ODIs that the ICC may implement in near future
Many of these free hits result in dot balls or ones and twos. Not sure why.
The answer is kinda obvious.. the batsman tries to over-hit the ball , ends up mis-hitting it. I can imagine batsman like Rahul Dravid trying to heave a free-hit across the line towards mid-wicket , only to end up tamely mis-timing to long-on. The batsman shd rather try really cheeky/innovative shots that they would not have tried earlier , like shuffling across to off-stump to fine glance it..

Oh, it's obvious to you but not to first class cricketers and their coaches ? The reason I wrote not sure why is because I watched all those matches and saw many attempts to maximise the opportunity of hitting with impunity fail to reach or go over the boundary. Part of the reason, of course, is the bowler trying to bowl full and to his field. The field cannot be changed from the previous ball - the no ball.

I think the rule to widen the boundaries is a good one as is the one with the additional fielder. Any rule to help the bowlers is a good one. Like someone once said : " Batsmen are cricket's aristocrats and bowlers', it's underpaid proletarians."