An incredible innings

Donny

I was looking through some old newspaper clippings today and came across this one from 13 years ago: Ben does it all off his own bat. It was the opening round of our 1994 season. Our arch rivals and reigning Cup holders, Triple Creek had scored a reasonable 177 from the allotted 40 overs but I thought we could get them. At the 20 over drinks break we were 9/83 !! My vice captain and #4 bat, Ben Scofield, was still there on 53 n.o. but our #11 was a 15 y.o. rookie, Daniel Wren, playing in his first match. The opposition was ready to celebrate. However, they were in for a rude awakening. :wink_smile: Ben then played a most astonishing innings and one I'll long remember. He farmed the strike so effectively for the next 10 overs that young Dan faced only 6 deliveries, from which he scored 1 run. In those 10 overs, Ben crunched 94 of the 98 runs scored by Toonumbar for us to win with an amazing 10 overs to spare. He was 147 n.o. with 16 fours and 9 sixes. The rest of us had scored just 18 runs and 5 batsmen made ducks. We went on to win the Cup that year and Ben was named Cricketer of the Year. Have you got a tale of an amazing innings one of your team mates played or maybe one played against you ?