Sign in to follow this  
Blue Panther

Umesh yadav-pretty impressive.

He needs to be persisted with , he might give away a few runs initially , he can bowl consistently in the 90' s, high arm , whippy , good seam.He can bowl yorkers, once he gets a good idea how to be aggressive and also keep it tight , work on his stock ball,also looks athletic and action is good , gets good bounce when he hits the deck.

Hold your horses BP. This is just one game and he has not bowled anything special. He needs to improve a lot in terms of consistently with pace going as well. Though, I would say, today he looked nervous and it is understandable that anyone would be nervous playing for India after a long time. He showed his pace today and he needs to keep it up. I think he can bowl even quicker than this as he gets confident for his place in the team and consistency in his bowling.

He showed good pace but his wickets both came off balls that kept low. I think he lacks accuracy and does not get enough movement. However, he has good pace and a nice action. He deserves a long run in the team.

He showed good pace but his wickets both came off balls that kept low. I think he lacks accuracy and does not get enough movement. However' date=' he has good pace and a nice action. He deserves a long run in the team.[/quote'] He was accurate to get two wickets bowled. More than that, he was nervous, IMO. It was obvious on his face the nervousness.

Vinay Kumar went for less than 6 runs/over = No game for Varun Aaron this series. This guy must be kicking himself.
He was lucky game didn't go in the 40-50 overs. Thanks to Aswin, Jaddu and Yadav. In the slog overs he would've surely been pelted around for 10-12 runs an over.

He was lucky game didn't go in the 40-50 overs. Thanks to Aswin' date=' Jaddu and Yadav. In the slog overs he would've surely been pelted around for 10-12 runs an over.[/quote'] Who vinay or umesh ?? Umesh did well at least better than vinay kumar to get those wickets. He needs to be shown the confidence, IMO even nechim should be given the confidence, and should be drafted in the rest of the matches immediately. :( he wasn't in the Challengers. But coming back to mesh, i'm reasonably happy with what he has achieved. The thing to note is that he cleaned up the tail, something india is renowned to not do.

Who vinay or umesh ?? Umesh did well at least better than vinay kumar to get those wickets. He needs to be shown the confidence, IMO even nechim should be given the confidence, and should be drafted in the rest of the matches immediately. :( he wasn't in the Challengers. But coming back to mesh, i'm reasonably happy with what he has achieved. The thing to note is that he cleaned up the tail something india is renowned to not do.
Good point that.:two_thumbs_up:

Who vinay or umesh ?? Umesh did well at least better than vinay kumar to get those wickets. He needs to be shown the confidence, IMO even nechim should be given the confidence, and should be drafted in the rest of the matches immediately. :( he wasn't in the Challengers. But coming back to mesh, i'm reasonably happy with what he has achieved. The thing to note is that he cleaned up the tail, something india is renowned to not do.
I was talking about Vinay. He was lucky game got finished early.

another thing it also busts the myth that dhoni prefers trundlers or forces quick bowlers to slow down and focus on line-length. that wasn't the case here, yadav bowled fast and was wayward in the beginning, but he continued bowling at good pace and eventually was rewarded the fact is that if you can bowl quick you will!! no one's a kid at the int'l level who is just going to follow someone's advice, it has to come from within himself as to what his strengths are. but some people will still continue with their conspiracy theories

Reasonable comeback but nothing outstanding. He has plenty of work on. Let's give him a few games and see how he goes. Looked like he can bowl the yorker which is a bonus.
that's huge!! i don't think anyone after agarkar, maybe to an extent nehra, has been good at bowling yorkers at the death

Reasonable comeback but nothing outstanding. He has plenty of work on. Let's give him a few games and see how he goes. Looked like he can bowl the yorker which is a bonus.
It's a nice result for him, considering the fastest bowler of the match went for 7.4 RPO( Finn ), 6.4 is not that bad... + he got 2 wickets.

This was his first game after long time and I expected that he will be bit wayward. He comes with reputation of a quick bowler by Indian standards. He tried to bowl fast during first spell, but he was bit not able to hit right line-length. Only thing I was praying for was that he gets few wickets. That boosted his confidence and he looked in better rhythm later in the game. He was accurate at the end part and like you mentioned he can be good for death overs. India can get as many trundlers as team want, but they will never be good attacking or death bowlers. I believe that he will be able to hit 90 mph consistently when bowling in full flow. If anything he can improve a lot in coming days. Btw, his average speed in this game was around 141 Kmph. After quite some time, an Indian bowler has bowled with such average speed in ODIs. He needs to play all matches in this series. It will be good learning experience for him.

nothing can be achieved if you just bowl in the high 130s or low 140s' date='you need more to be successful in the international arena.[/quote'] Thats the problem in india we want ready made great bowlers,Pace is not everything but its essential and 135-145 pace is good enough at international level ,very few bowlers bowl quicker than that in International cricket.He can swing the ball as we saw in irani trophy and maintain a decent line and length so he needs to be persisted as you can teach a bowler variations and swing far easily than increase speed.

Umesh yadav had a good outing ..... The difference is in how you portray your quickest bowler.... Dhoni just mentioned him as an after thought to the spinners (as if he had no special potential - just a little quicker than the other bowlers) where as Watson and White have been harping on pat cummins even before the south african tour began.... They have been saying that pat cummins is a special talent and can bowl very quick at such a young age!!! I just hope that dhoni is trying to keep the expectations low during media briefings and encouraging umesh and aaron behind the scenes as that would help them a lot.

This was his first game after long time and I expected that he will be bit wayward. He comes with reputation of a quick bowler by Indian standards. He tried to bowl fast during first spell, but he was bit not able to hit right line-length. Only thing I was praying for was that he gets few wickets. That boosted his confidence and he looked in better rhythm later in the game. He was accurate at the end part and like you mentioned he can be good for death overs. India can get as many trundlers as team want, but they will never be good attacking or death bowlers. I believe that he will be able to hit 90 mph consistently when bowling in full flow. If anything he can improve a lot in coming days. Btw, his average speed in this game was around 141 Kmph. After quite some time, an Indian bowler has bowled with such average speed in ODIs. He needs to play all matches in this series. It will be good learning experience for him.
Yes last few months have been torture watching trundlers bowl and commentators saying we do not have pace bowlers ,

Thats the problem in india we want ready made great bowlers' date='Pace is not everything but its essential and 135-145 pace is good enough at international level ,very few bowlers bowl quicker than that in International cricket.He can swing the ball as we saw in irani trophy and maintain a decent line and length so he needs to be persisted as you can teach a bowler variations and swing far easily than increase speed.[/quote'] Cowboysfans is a RCB fan.. So there..:icflove:

Umesh yadav had a good outing ..... The difference is in how you portray your quickest bowler.... Dhoni just mentioned him as an after thought to the spinners (as if he had no special potential - just a little quicker than the other bowlers) where as Watson and White have been harping on pat cummins even before the south african tour began.... They have been saying that pat cummins is a special talent and can bowl very quick at such a young age!!! I just hope that dhoni is trying to keep the expectations low during media briefings and encouraging umesh and aaron behind the scenes as that would help them a lot.
Dhoni believes that no indian bowler can bowl quick and trouble opp batsman ,only indian bowlers who swing the ball will be succesful agianst opp batsman.

Yes last few months have been torture watching trundlers bowl and commentators saying we do not have pace bowlers ' date='[/quote'] Yeah, that's why I was not bothered about runs he was going for. Our trundlers haven't done much better than that. They often fail to get wickets of tail-enders. He got two wickets and it was decent performance in first match.

RKT, Do you feel he puts some strain on his back and left foot than normal? I felt so. Good to see some pace though. But, I'm sure he must have quickly realized that pace without line/length is not good enough.

Agree with that. People jump the gun though. He will get bashed if he ends up with 0-65 in the next game.

How many bouncy wickets did he play?:haha:
Hang on dude ,just one game ,and you're going gaga about him . Let him play few matches before making claims .Yes ,he bowled well today .no doubt about that .

this just highlights the hypocrisy of some of you lads. when pakistanis accuse us of not having blistering fast bowlers, and mock our trundlers, we retort that pace is not everything, and given adequate talent, any batsman can handle pace. its control and movement. now today, when umesh is hurtling it in at near 90mph, you lads are glee with excitement, without stating a word about his obvious lack of control and line.

He got two wickets and that too it had to do with the pitch and the ball keeping low, nothing to do with skill. All he did today was bowl in the high 80s mph with almost no control in the beginning and people out here are calling him impressive, as THX pointed out that is just plain hypocritical. We should wait till the end of this series to see if this guy has any potential or if he is going to be another Mohammad Sami in international cricket.

Firstly..we are giving chances to a pace bowler on Indian pitches and expecting him to blow the opponent apart. Bowlers like him should've been tried out on the England tour but we all know which bowlers got chance to play there. So give a bit of rope to these young bowlers before reverting back to traditional "line & lenght" trundlers.. It's not that we have a ready made inventory of Tailunted phaaassst bowlers.. Most of us are relieved and happy that atleast a different sort of bowler is finally getting a chance to play other than run of the mill military medium line lenght trundlers. It's not that trundlers like VK etc. are blazing the pitches around..VK still bowls predominantly middle to leg line.. Of whatever I've seen of another trundler S Aravind, I'm pretty sure even Dhoni (given his love for trundlers) wouldn't like to take any risk, playing him..(but you never know what external pressures might be on him, given the pressure Karnataka ex-players are creating, behind the scenes).. So whatever be the performance of bowlers like Yadav etc. I'm happy that atleast he is getting another chance..He's not so bad bowler that he couldn't be given a long run. I mean what's the criteria of VK getting so many chances to paly in every match and series. Atleast give that many chance to bowlers like Yadav or Aron..

Yes Umesh wasn't devastating , but he has the ingredients to succeed,he can bowl 90 consistently, I wonder why Dhoni isn't excited.lOOK AT eNGLAND , aUSTRALIA ANY BOLWER CLOSE TO 90 THEY TRY TO BUILD THEM UP A YEAR IN ADVANCE,even 5 kph is a big difference speed wise but if your fastest bowlers can bowl 146 k, and rest of the trundlers bowl at 133 k max , that is a huge difference.Ganguly , Shastri seemed more excited then Dhoni, well played India anyways, lets see what Botham , Vaughan will now harp about , maybe comment on pitch and conditions lol , as always.

He was touching 90 mph consistently but didn't do anything with it. 90 mph leg stump half volleys and wide away going deliveries won't get anyone out. It could have been nerves but I didn't see anything impressive. He needs to work on keeping the ball outside off stump. Otherwise he is just cannon fodder. He has some good things about him though - a nice action for one, which u don't typically see in an Indian bowler, and pretty effortless run up and follow through. Lot to work with for fletcher and simons

Yadav is promising but with his domestic OD record as it stands, he has a lot of improving to do before he can be consistently international quality. That being said, we do not have many people knocking on the door so might as well give him a go.

He was touching 90 mph consistently but didn't do anything with it. 90 mph leg stump half volleys and wide away going deliveries won't get anyone out. It could have been nerves but I didn't see anything impressive. He needs to work on keeping the ball outside off stump. Otherwise he is just cannon fodder.
Yea 68-72 mph snorters outside offstump and half volleys are exactly the reasons India has dominated world cricket for the past 20 yrs :winky: The only way most Indian fans get impressed by a quick bowler is if he is playing in the opposition. I for one feel happy that yadav got a chance and got his name in the wickets column. He definitely deserves many more chances to live and learn.