Bhojpuri channel now for the first time

Guest dada_rocks

Cool, you know dada I met this group of extras ( film extras ) way back in 1993 on a trip to the south, via train. Their leader was a gujrati guy and he seemed OK looking so we asked him why he didn't try for real roles. He mentioned that he was offered roles in Bhojpuri films..I seriously though it might be similar to gujrati..only after omkara and ravi bhai, I realized its completely different. I am sure you will enjoy this channel

This morning I was talking to a relative of mine who has a hand with producing some of these movies. Actually I had not spoken with him for a long time, he lives in Delhi and talks more to my brother who works there. So anyway we were talking on phone and he mentioned a few movies that he has had a hand in, good hits like Dharti Kahe Pukaar ke etc. I was impressed. Then he told me that next month he would be coming to New York City to do the shooting of a new movie. Now NYC is a costly area and so I wondered what would be the budget. He told me budget was okay, he had just shot a song in Mauritius and plans another one on Eastern side (HK or Seoul). I was genuinely shocked. In the conversation one intersting thing he told me, and maybe he just exaggerated it a bit, was that Bhojpuri films in recent times have done as good if not better in Bihar/UP and also Mauritius area, the latter thanks to many previous generation of Bhojpuri migrants to the country. Mardey ee to kamaal baa! xxx

Guest dada_rocks
This morning I was talking to a relative of mine who has a hand with producing some of these movies. Actually I had not spoken with him for a long time, he lives in Delhi and talks more to my brother who works there. So anyway we were talking on phone and he mentioned a few movies that he has had a hand in, good hits like Dharti Kahe Pukaar ke etc. I was impressed. Then he told me that next month he would be coming to New York City to do the shooting of a new movie. Now NYC is a costly area and so I wondered what would be the budget. He told me budget was okay, he had just shot a song in Mauritius and plans another one on Eastern side (HK or Seoul). I was genuinely shocked. In the conversation one intersting thing he told me, and maybe he just exaggerated it a bit, was that Bhojpuri films in recent times have done as good if not better in Bihar/UP and also Mauritius area, the latter thanks to many previous generation of Bhojpuri migrants to the country. Mardey ee to kamaal baa! xxx
HE is not exaggerating. stars like AB Ajay devgan have taken roles in bhojpuri movies. Word of north bihar movie distributor, " A bhojpuri movie is sure to give you housefull for couple of week at least in bihar/up as opposed to BW movies." Actors like ravi kishen charge anything between 5 to 10 million indina Rs so budget has gone up no doubt.

Guest dada_rocks
Cool' date=' you know dada I met this group of extras ( film extras ) way back in 1993 on a trip to the south, via train. Their leader was a gujrati guy and he seemed OK looking so we asked him why he didn't try for real roles. He mentioned that he was offered roles in Bhojpuri films..I seriously though it might be similar to gujrati..only after omkara and ravi bhai, I realized its completely different. I am sure you will enjoy this channel[/quote'] These channels scream home to me although my mother tongue is maithili ( sweetest language ever, u can't tell whether someone is having heated altercation or friendly chat it's that sweet)... My only worry is those rank cheap holy songs , I just hope they go little easy on those. Looking at those songs one might be tempted to think bihar is so sexually liberated that it broders on cheap, which is so not the truth.

He mentioned that he was offered roles in Bhojpuri films..I seriously though it might be similar to gujrati..only after omkara and ravi bhai, I realized its completely different. I am sure you will enjoy this channel
Omkara is not Bhojpuri, Rajeev. It's the western UP dialect of Hindi similar to Haryanwi.

i have asked this question a zillion times before and got a zillion different responses everytime- so here goes again: Is Bhojpuri a different language or a dialect of hindi ?
This from wikipedia:
People's attitudes towards the Bhojpuri language have evolved over time, and most linguists agree it is not a dialect of Hindi, which is a widespread belief among speakers. Others, including the government of India while taking census, disagree, and consider Bhojpuri to be a dialect of Hindi. But now the government of India is preparing to grant it statutory status of as a national scheduled language.

I think it's unique enough to be considered a language in its own right but others would argue that the lack of a separate script would make it a dialect. Don't think there is a straightforward answer.
If lack of a seperate script was ever an issue for being considered a different language, then German,French,Italian,English etc. would be considered one language. No, what i mean is, in terms of grammar, loan-words, tense, etc. is it a different language or a different dialect ? I ask this because for every Bhojpuri speaker i've met who insists that Bhojpuri is a different language, i've met equal number of Bhojpuris who insist it is a dialect of hindi.

Guest dada_rocks

My yardstick of defining whether any dilect deserves distinct lanagauge status or not is, if u can understand a dilect wihtout zilch knowledge of the same by virtue of ur knowledge of the socalled parent panagauge then it's a dilect. There is nothing scientific about this measure because it's subjective and will depend on the listener's intellect. Keeping this in mind, Bhojpuri, Avdhi etc deserve to be dilect. Maithili I am not so sure about because I come from that belt so I may be little biassed. To me it sounds like totally different but then as I said some outsider's perspective is needed. BTW with popularity of dilect lanagauge whatever u call it language based jingoism also gets fanned. Already BHojpur as a separate state demand is in place and recently bumped into some news of even Mithila region demanding separate statetehood. Ramayan period geographical boundary was invoked for the later with the claims that Mithila was under the kingdom of Videh Kumar Janak (Goddess Sita's father) arguably the most revered sanyasi ever ( he is conisdered somone who despite living in the riches was totally unattached to it and that's true sanyasi should be.) Deserting everything and heading towards the forest is lesser form of Sanyas. Anyway point is these lanagauge identities come with some not so desirable side-effects.

If lack of a seperate script was ever an issue for being considered a different language, then German,French,Italian,English etc. would be considered one language.
Fair enough. I was just pointing out one of the yardsticks to conclude whether it is a language or not. Coming from Lucknow, where Urdu and Awadhi, are the main languages/dialects I can easily understand Bhojpuri. I won't be able to make a decent conversation in it though. Same with Maithli, Magadhi, or Khari Boli. It's a very subjective line where a dialect becomes a language in a lot of these borderline cases.
My yardstick of defining whether any dilect deserves distinct lanagauge status or not is, if u can understand a dilect wihtout zilch knowledge of the same by virtue of ur knowledge of the socalled parent panagauge then it's a dilect.
That's a decent enough yardstick but even there you'll see exceptions throw up. When I moved to Chandigarh, I had never lived in Punjab before and neither was Punjabi spoken at home. I could understand most of it though one might argue that the Punjabi spoken in Chandigarh is very different from the interiors of Punjab and by the time I visited those places I had picked up the language to the reasonable extent of making out a conversation. As you said its a very subjective distinction in these borderline cases.

Bhojpuri is a dialect, as is Magahi or Awadhi. Maithili is more a language than a dialect. In the end the differentiation between language and dialect may very well boil down to the political support it can generate. Since Bhojpuri has a lot of Bahubalis in Indian Parliament, and State, expect it to be recognized as a full blown language. xx

Guest dada_rocks

Lurker, In fact in BPSC till laloojee came maithili used to be one optional literature. Laloojee came and it was dropepd, he obviously was trying to slight Jagannath Mishra. Maithili does deserve to be different language it's so different. Anyway even I don't speak chaste maithili my mother does. My native tongue to be more precise is Bajjika. BTW if u can understand Maithili do get hands on Vidyapati known as Maithili Kokil. He is the poet of Mithila region and every year at his birt anniversary Vidyapati Samaroh is organised where u get to listen classic mathili poems. There is a very popular myth about Vidyapati and God Shiva. Folklore says that he was such a great devotee of Lord Shiva that the lord was really pleased with him. And once He decided to come to live in his house as a servant. As the servant He is said to have taken the name Ugna. At several places in the region, Lord Shiva is still worshipped by this name. It is said that the lord in form of servant had imposed a condition on Vidyapati that he could not disclose his identity to anyone else or else he would go away when Vidyapati's wife was angry at her servant and started to beat him Vidyapati could not tolerate the same and asked her wife not to beat Lord Shiva himself and since then the lord disappeared and never was he seen again. This incident is supposed to symbolize the traditional Indian saying that "Gods are slaves to their devotees". Read more about Vidyapati http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidyapati Vidyapathi penned a heart-wrenching devotional pome called "Ugna re tu Katah Gele" Its rendition invariably always drives people to tears in those Vidyapathi samaroh.

DR. I believe Maithili is one of the recognized languages as per Indian constitution. In effect that should mean that a person should be able to take IAS interview in Maithili, though I am sure it seldom happens. I can understand Maithili a bit, grew up in Maithili environment. My Mom is from Saharsa, as Maithili as it gets. Every year 2 months were spent there and when my maternal family moves to Hazaribagh the language at home remained Maithili. A very sweet language if ever there was one. Speaking of Maithili, Nepali is not very different to it as well though there are differences here and there. Vidyapathi is a gem in Indian literature. Too bad he is not known as well outside Mithila. I will check that link about Vidyapathi. Thanks for that. xx

Guest dada_rocks

In UPSC it still exists but in BPSC not anymore.. Vidyapati then the legend Kalidas; mithila has done alot to literature.:thumbs_up:The place where kalidas got his gyana is hardly 2 km from my place.

In UPSC it still exists but in BPSC not anymore..
Hahaha..Isnt that a joke? I mean a language can be used at Centre but not in the very state it is spoken in?
Vidyapati then the legend Kalidas; mithila has done alot to literature.:thumbs_up:The place where kalidas got his gyana is hardly 2 km from my place.
Kalidasa was from Mithila? I didnt know that. My knowledge about Kalidasa is meagre as it is :confused_smile:. What is this gyana you mention? Is it like Buddha's enlightenment or more like education? xxx

Ok my understanding of Bhojpuri is a wee bit better than my understanding of Punjabi- i can usually tell what the people are talking about but there are many words who's meanings i dont know or have to deduce from context... Its a great thing that i always took hindi as second language whenever i had the opportunity (even in Kolkata) over Bengali- being strong in Hindi (though i am not anymore) was one of the reasons i could understand the Punjabis,Bhojpuris & marwaris in Kolkata better than most other bongs (when they are speaking their language that is). But i've never Maithili heard before today ( i just you-tubed it) and it makes even less sense to me than Bhojpuri.

Guest dada_rocks
Hahaha..Isnt that a joke? I mean a language can be used at Centre but not in the very state it is spoken in? Kalidasa was from Mithila? I didnt know that. My knowledge about Kalidasa is meagre as it is :confused_smile:. What is this gyana you mention? Is it like Buddha's enlightenment or more like education? xxx
IMyth is following: Kalidas used to be utter "Murkh". U know the proverbial cutting the branch of tree while sititng on it is ascribed to Kalidas. So as it turned out local king's daughter was very learned and king took a vow that she will marry the person who could beat her in shastra-debate. Many wise men came and lost to her their male ego got bruised so they took a vow to hoodwink her into marrying the most idiot person ever. They started their hunt and that's when they chanced upon this individual Kalidas who was sitting on a branch and cutting it. They agreed theri cud never be bigger idiot than this guy. So they took this guy for shstra-debate claimiong he expresses himself through sings not words. cut long story short they somehow convinced the king Kalidas was very learned and they got married. One night kalidas being a mukh sees some camel and shouts "Untra Untra" a wrong word because the right sanskrit word for camel is "Unshtra". His wife thus came to know his reality and threw him out saying come only when u are worthy enough for me. So Kalidas kept wandering and worked as cook in the erstwhile sasnrkti university hostel. HE was great devotee of goddess Kali every day he used to swim across the river and put black kajal on kali's statue as an offering. One day Kaliji gave him some blessing whereby he could imbibe knowledge of all the books he touched in that night and that he did in university library and in turn turned into great scholar. When he returend to hsi wife after this being a scholr did scholarly thing and refused to take his wife as wife and rather greeted her as his Guru because she was the reaosn behind his change. Wife got pi$$ed and cursed him to become "Veshya-gami" ( taken to prostitues). Anyway the temple where he used to pray before he became an scholar is near my village.

Guest dada_rocks
Ok my understanding of Bhojpuri is a wee bit better than my understanding of Punjabi- i can usually tell what the people are talking about but there are many words who's meanings i dont know or have to deduce from context... Its a great thing that i always took hindi as second language whenever i had the opportunity (even in Kolkata) over Bengali- being strong in Hindi (though i am not anymore) was one of the reasons i could understand the Punjabis' date='Bhojpuris & marwaris in Kolkata better than most other bongs (when they are speaking their language that is). But i've never Maithili heard before today ( i just you-tubed it) and it makes even less sense to me than Bhojpuri.[/quote'] Maithili is very different .. Dumka meinh jhumka heraulan Kashi mein kan bali ham poochhaliyen ke choraulaka ahan ka ke hothak lali Hoon kar nathiyan baramad bhel hamara rangeela jilla baliya mein.