Zimbabwe cricket thread

Sir john

Bvute steps down as ZC managing director

Ozias Bvute has resigned as managing director of Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) but has declared his intention to stay involved in the game in the future, the New Zimbabwe website has reported. Bvute, who was appointed after Vincent Hogg resigned in 2004, has been replaced by Wilfred Mukondiwa, who had previously served as ZC's deputy managing director. "I have relished the job for the last few years and look forward to remaining involved in the years to come, albeit in a different capacity," Bvute said in a Cricket Zimbabwe release. "The next phase is to ensure that our team becomes consistently competitive and I have every confidence in Mr Mukondiwa's ability to take up this challenge." Peter Chingoka, the Zimbabwe board chairman, said Bvute's inputs will help drive the business side of cricket in the country. "I cannot think of a man better qualified, and more experienced than Wilfred to take over [as managing director] and we are confident that the transition will be seamless," Chingoka said. "This decision follows months of planning. We have defined our new strategic drive and that is to create a sustainable business model for cricket in Zimbabwe. Mr Bvute's experience and strategic input will contribute significantly to that goal."