Does India need a coach?

After today's win I can't help but wonder, does India need a foreign coach? Seriously, these guys look more alive without one. Maybe Indians nowadays are more responsible and don't need a white headmaster who insists on changing them to his way.

I wouldn't make such sweeping statements yet. Teams always do well during the initial days when new management take over. We need to assess the need for a coach a year from now, no knee-jerk reactions please. Until then, let's see if this team can improve. I am absolutely delighted for them, and hopefully they can carry on. The good thing is that India seem to have found a combination which can work for them in ODI's, and that augurs well for the near-future.

I think they can manage without a full-time coach. A bowling coach is definitely needed though. Let's see if Prasad can make a difference. Today's was a near perfect bowling performance. When was the last time India went through an innings without conceding a single extra ?

I think they can manage without a full-time coach. A bowling coach is definitely needed though. Let's see if Prasad can make a difference. Today's was a near perfect bowling performance. When was the last time India went through an innings without conceding a single extra ?
not jus any indian team.. is there any other team who has done tht before?? issit a record??

^^ dont have the ODI list, but for Tests, IND does have the record: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Batting side is listed first: 328 Pak v Ind Lahore 1954-55 252 RSA v Eng Durban(5) 1930-31 247 RSA v Eng Nottingham 1960 236 Aus v Eng Melbourne 1891-92 216-6 Pak v Eng Nottingham 1962 200 Pak v Aus Melbourne 1972-73 Last two all-out innings without an 'Extra': 96 Ind v Eng Lord's 1979 134 Pak v RSA Port Elizabeth 1997-98

When was the last time India went through an innings without conceding a single extra ?
yeah, when? And when was the last time you saw the team hugging and laughing like that, or Sachin encouraging juniors by sharing his prize... Ok, it might be too early to say all this now, but it's going to be a real catch 22 situation if India wins in England - and I'm confident they will.:angel_smile:
not jus any indian team.. is there any other team who has done tht before?? issit a record?? got it. Here are all Limited-overs International innings of 250 runs or more which did not include a "no ball' or a 'wide'. Side not conceding them is listed SECOND. Extras are in parentheses. Total 338-5 (8) Pak v SL Swansea Jun 9, 1983 302-8 (8) Aus v NZ Melbourne Feb 9, 1983 293-5 (4) Eng v WI Bridgetown Mar 29, 1998 289-3 (18) Aus v NZ Sydney Nov 25, 1980 286-9 (11) WI v ENG Lord's Jun 23, 1979 277-8 (20) SL v IND Delhi Sep 15, 1982 271-2 (11) WI v AUS Melbourne Dec 9, 1979 263-3 (4) Aus v IND Rajkot Oct 7, 1986 Note: There have been only four Limited-overs International innings which contained no Extras. Sides not conceding them are listed SECOND. 178-0 RSA v NZ Faisalabad Feb 20, 1996 66-0 Pak v NZ Sharjah Apr 15, 1986 15-0 NZ v ENG Dunedin Mar 8, 1975 1-0 Ind v SL Mackay Feb 28, 1992
yeah, when? And when was the last time you saw the team hugging and laughing like that, or Sachin encouraging juniors by sharing his prize...
Oh please. The entire notion of "team-spirit" is a load of rubbish. Team-spirit is just a by-product of victory - if the team wins, team-spirit is high, if they lose than team-spirit will be low. Fits and roundabouts. The coach has nothing to do with it. The Indian team looked as happy as ever during their winning streak last season.
yeah' date=' when? [/quote'] Sep 15, 1982 versus Sri Lanka at Kotla. rest of yr post, i agree. havent seen SRT this comfortable with the senior statesman role and yuvi seemingly so modest. but then, like preds pointed out, during the 17-match streak, they looked just the same...

I have always maintained the coach and the captain is only as good as the team. Experienced players need no coaching or motivational speech to inspire performances. I don't think the likes of Sachin, Rahul or Ganguly needs to be spoken to about how to approach an inning. It is the young lads in the team that need technical coaching and spoken to by the coach. Previously there was a definite need for a coach as they didn't have bowling or fielding coach. Now India has fielding and bowling coach. There is team manager and media manager that can handle things outside cricket. As for organizing training couple of seniors or three can do it. All they need is someone to oversee the training in the batting nets. Tendulkar, Rahul and the rest can easily do that. I've never seen Tendulkar not bowling and passing tips to the young ones. Tendulkar is so involved in the training sessions and the kind of experience he has I don't see anyone better than Tendulkar to teach the young ones how to score runs in international cricket. While Tendulkar can touch base on the technical side of things there is no better player than Rahul, Anil or Ganguly to speak to as for mental approach to the game is concerned. With these many good resources within the team I don't see a single reason for a highly paid coach to be appointed officially for the team.

After today's win I can't help but wonder' date=' does India need a foreign coach? Seriously, these guys look more alive without one. Maybe Indians nowadays are more responsible and don't need a white headmaster who insists on changing them to [i']his way.
Don't you think it is way too early to make a sweeping comment like that? We have only managed to beat a South African side that was not 100%(Graeme Smith and Polly are both formidable in LOI specially against India), and the win, while great, was not a domination by any means. Does India need a coach? Yes I think we do. We need a coach not to help with batsmen/bowlers technical issues but more to make a vision, chaulk out the game plans and see how we go from point A to B. Some say in Indian circumstance you do not need that, I say in Indian circumstances we need a coach more than any other team. Why? Because we are a team of worst Administrators and sometimes, if not always, the worst fans. So how do we set long term goals and deliver when a) The Administrator do not have knowledge/experience, and often gets kicked out in the next election. b) When half the team is often doing a musical chair with being selected and dropped every other game? Now if we had a good captain that would have been fantastic. Thats why captains like Worrell, Benaud or in recent times Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh were famous. Is Rahul Dravid a captain like that? Thus far I have no reasons to think he is. xxx
Does India need a coach? Yes I think we do. We need a coach not to help with batsmen/bowlers technical issues but more to make a vision, chaulk out the game plans and see how we go from point A to B. Some say in Indian circumstance you do not need that, I say in Indian circumstances we need a coach more than any other team. Why? Because we are a team of worst Administrators and sometimes, if not always, the worst fans. So how do we set long term goals and deliver when a) The Administrator do not have knowledge/experience, and often gets kicked out in the next election. b) When half the team is often doing a musical chair with being selected and dropped every other game?
To be honest I believe in clear cut job responsibilities otherwise it will go haywire like the last time around. The coach is there not to envisage on a long term mission for Indian cricket. When you start asking a cricket coach to get involved in these long term goals you have pretty much lost the need for a coach. As the job title describes "Coach" should only act as a coach. When he doesn't and starts getting his hand dirty into everything then the problem starts to arise when he can't concentrate on his primary role. A coach is appointed not to guide the administrators. Moreover when a coach is offered 2 or 3 years of contract how far forward can a coach plan? 2 or 3 seasons in international cricket is not much. I think coach should take one game at a time considering there will be chops and changes in the team. Like the last time around when coach starts planning for a world cup 4 years earlier you see you are approaching a disaster. I always said Chappell had wrong priorities. When a certain Asia cup 2004 was going on Chappell had his sights set on the world cup 2007 :whatchutalkingabout A lot of players Chappell said to be the core for the world cup 2007 cricket team came a cropper a little while later and lost place in the team simply because they were not able to perform consistently. I think coach is a temporary position in international cricket and he should work at getting the best out of the players one game at a time. There is no point planning for many years ahead and losing focus of the current.
I think coach is a temporary position in international cricket and he should work at getting the best out of the players one game at a time. There is no point planning for many years ahead and losing focus of the current.
Ravi, I believe that may be a key difference between Indian approach to cricket and other successful teams. We get too caught up in playing one game at a time and not worry about long term planning. This almost always leads us to a situation where a team with aging superstars plays a good solid 2-3 years more and when they retire there are no replacement that shall seamlessly merge into the team. xx