ESPN-STAR Sports signs Ian Chappell

King

NEW DELHI: ESPN-STAR Sports on Monday signed Ian Chappell as an exclusive presenter and commentator for its cricket related programming in India. With this, Chappell becomes part of a panel of ?A Few Good Men? which includes ... More... ESPN-STAR Sports signs Ian Chappell NEW DELHI: ESPN-STAR Sports on Monday signed Ian Chappell as an exclusive presenter and commentator for its cricket related programming in India. With this, Chappell becomes part of a panel of ‘A Few Good Men’ which includes some of the cricket experts like Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and Wasim Akram. Speaking on the occasion, Chappell said, “the passion for the game and the level of understanding that Indian fans have about the finer nuances of cricket has always amazed me. An added plus is the presence of such great stalwarts and close friends of mine in this star-studded team of experts. “Given the fact that every fan expects the very best from us, there is always a lot of pressure on commentators and experts alike to provide in-depth analysis on every aspect of the game. I am looking forward to this challenging assignment.” A candid and an insightful commentator, Chappell is regarded by many as one of the best Australian captains. Under his confident and resourceful captaincy, Australia never lost a series. Chappell made his Test debut against Pakistan in 1964. In a long Test career that spanned 17 years, Chappell played in 75 matches and scored 5,345 runs at 42.42. He played 16 one-day internationals and scored 673 runs at an average of 48.07. — Special Correspondent

Now Ian Chappell can speak plenty of BS sitting in an A/C room. I used to quite like his commentary but of late after having read his brother's mouth piece senile articles on cricinfo I just cannot stand him. I don't quite understand why hire him for commentary on Indian cricket? I'm quite sure he has absolutely no clue about Indian cricket and hardly has anything good to say about Indian cricket.

Quality in what speaking rubbish about Indian cricket and being his brother's mouth piece? He suits the Aussie cricket yes but he hardly follows India's cricket. What value does he add other than having a dig at Tendulkar every now and then?

Some of Ian Chappell's recent quotes : "Tendulkar should retire" "Tendulkar only playing for records" "Tendulkar playing for wrong reasons" "Greg Chappell quit because of Woolmer's death" (Greg Chappell denied this anyways) 'If he can't win as many matches as he can for India, he's wasting his time Tendulkar should consider quitting - Ian Chappell" You guys definitely have to read Ian Chappell's article about Lara in the world cup. We all know how well Lara played through out the world cup but Chappell reckon Lara could only do so much.

Does the word "Prejudiced" ring a bell? It must be fun hearing the "Prejudiced" commentator harping every second about an Indian player. ESPN is not owned by BCCI but they are not a local channel in Australia but are in India. Primarily ESNPStar cover Indian cricket games. ESPNStar do not have coverage in Australia or the rest of the cricketing countries. BTW how is Ian Chappell any better than Sunny? Well if you reckon he is great then good for you. IMO he is a prejudiced commentator that has no good thoughts about Indian cricket. He is being engaged to commentate on Indian cricket games, what a farce?

though he has been an anti-sachin.. that doesn't really indigate he sucks as a commentator.... he commentated in lot of games of India during sharjah.. he can be entertaining.. even tony greag recently came out with crap that 15,000 can be achieved by anyone, now that doesn't rate his commentry.. tony greag is one good commentator..and i am sure Ian chappel is not bad either...

1. He hasn't been 'anti Sachin' 2. A cricket commentator can be a person who calls a match and/or a writer about cricket. articles. Chappelli does both. 3. I have never rated him as a match caller as he's fairly boring and repetitive although he does have good cricket nous. 4. I never pay much heed to articles by former players as they are angled to attract readers more than anything. The substance of such articles is often not really what the headline indicates. Other people - editors, sub editors etc - mostly write the headlines. 5. I'm amazed at why anyone would hire him to call matches. At one stage, Channel 9 hired Greg Chappell as a commentator just to try to make Ian sound interesting. (They were stuck with the elder Chappell from the WSC days.) It worked and Greg was let go. Of course, I was much more amazed when India hired Greg as national cricket coach. Could hardly have had a worse track record.

by saying anti-sachin, i never really meant that he has been against sachin, though the term anti does suggest.. but not when i say seriously.. what i meant was, that he has been speaking against sachin, and saying things which sachin fan's don't prefer.. but then thatz the job of commentator... to comment.. and hence i don't have any prb with ian chappel.. it would be n ice to have him their in commentry box with other gr8z..

1. He hasn't been 'anti Sachin'
He most definitely is in his writing. He has a history of belittling Tendulkar- one of the most vocal proponents of the nonsensical ' Ponting was the best teenage batsman i've seen' bluster, despite the fact that Tendulkar in his teens was ten times the batsman Ponting was even till his early-mid 20s.
You will learn there are always exceptions.
Exceptions have to be proven-not assumed. He quite clearly was in Greg's corner when he was coaching India, churning out pro-Greg articles and writing little or nothing about Greg's bungling.

Off you go with your exaggerations again mate. :whatchutalkingabout How can it be nonsensical for him to say that about Ponting ?? He most probably never saw Tendulkar in his teens. Anyone watching the teenage Ponting scoring 5 centuries in 5 consecutive Sheffield Shield matches for Tasmania, would have a similar opinion.