Drop Ishant Sharma

"Umesh did well and there was an improvement in the way he bowled in the second innings. Of course he bowls a fraction short but that will get better as he plays more and more Test matches."
Good to see Dhoni backing Yadav like this.With some more experience and under guidance of Zaheer he has the potential to excel in Australia like Ishant did last time IMO. The pace attack should be Zaheer Ishant Yadav with Aaron and Praveen being back up fast bowlers for Aus tour.
Good to see Dhoni backing Yadav like this.With some more experience and under guidance of Zaheer he has the potential to excel in Australia like Ishant did last time IMO. The pace attack should be Zaheer Ishant Yadav with Aaron and Praveen being back up fast bowlers for Aus tour.
I like to see Dhoni backing new players.

Should this thread be re-named 'Select Sreesanth' instead of 'drop ishant'? :facepalm: Let sreesanth take at least ONE wicket in a ranji plate group match before we even compare him against anyone on the basis of current form. Imo guys like rp singh, sreesanth, nehra, etc are moving closer to the 'has beens' category of indian test match bowlers and need a significant revival of some sort to re-ignite their chances of even being considered for the test side. But as always, may the best bowler get picked.

I agree with the OP Ishant has really not done enough to merit a place in the Test side. He had a good series in the WI earlier this year but in England he bumped big time. I'd rather we go with both Aaron and Yadav instead of Ishant. There is hardly any difference between Ishant and Sreesanth's performance. All this crap about he bowling with a big heart is all just that - crap. You need to take wickets first, heart can come later. Ishant does not have the ability to run thru a side like Zak, Sreesanth (its a diff thing that he does it only on a blue moon). I think Varun Aaron may have that ability and we need to test him out

I agree with the OP Ishant has really not done enough to merit a place in the Test side. He had a good series in the WI earlier this year but in England he bumped big time. I'd rather we go with both Aaron and Yadav instead of Ishant. There is hardly any difference between Ishant and Sreesanth's performance. All this crap about he bowling with a big heart is all just that - crap. You need to take wickets first, heart can come later. Ishant does not have the ability to run thru a side like Zak, Sreesanth (its a diff thing that he does it only on a blue moon). I think Varun Aaron may have that ability and we need to test him out
Yes, both Sreesanth and Ishant are equally bad Ishant Sharma -away record Australia- 60 England-58 South Africa-48 Sri Lanka- 50
Well I have said it earlier in the thread that he doesnt has the results to show for the efforts he puts in a test match.Sooner rather than later he will need to start picking bunch of wickets on a consistent basis against top sides.His performances wicket tally wise have generally been mediocre so far in his career but he is still young and hopefully will improve his performances against top sides.
Well I have said it earlier in the thread that he doesnt has the results to show for the efforts he puts in a test match.Sooner rather than later he will need to start picking bunch of wickets on a consistent basis against top sides.His performances wicket tally wise have generally been mediocre so far in his career but he is still young and hopefully will improve his performances against top sides.
And that's his biggest asset...his age. i think the selectors should take a mature decision for his own benefit...just let him learn his art for the next 2-3 seasons in the domestic circuit. If he picks heaps of wickets in the next 2-3 seasons then pick him up but right now they are just wasting him and others who may be potentially better than him. As for Disco, I think the captain needs to be more supportive of him. He is a match winner and he can win us games. I think he can be given the assurance from the selectors and captain that, "listen, you have the next 10 Tests to play for India...no questions asked. If you do justice to your talent then its good for all parties but if you don't then the 10th Test would be the last Test you would've played for India" I honestly feel Dusco has never received that kind of faith from his captain. He perfomed very well under Rahul but Dhoni has been rather poor with him. But more than these two, I'd like to see Varun Aaron in the team. I agree with the OP that Ummu dunn look like someone who can run thru a side. Aaron looks like he can...we need him to play a few Tests in good conditions. Finally, if Ishant is selected in any Test I think I will always ask why isn't Disco in the side ahead of him because there is more likelihood of Disco running thru a side than Ishant
And that's his biggest asset...his age. i think the selectors should take a mature decision for his own benefit...just let him learn his art for the next 2-3 seasons in the domestic circuit. If he picks heaps of wickets in the next 2-3 seasons then pick him up but right now they are just wasting him and others who may be potentially better than him. As for Disco, I think the captain needs to be more supportive of him. He is a match winner and he can win us games. I think he can be given the assurance from the selectors and captain that, "listen, you have the next 10 Tests to play for India...no questions asked. If you do justice to your talent then its good for all parties but if you don't then the 10th Test would be the last Test you would've played for India" I honestly feel Dusco has never received that kind of faith from his captain. He perfomed very well under Rahul but Dhoni has been rather poor with him. But more than these two, I'd like to see Varun Aaron in the team. I agree with the OP that Ummu dunn look like someone who can run thru a side. Aaron looks like he can...we need him to play a few Tests in good conditions. Finally, if Ishant is selected in any Test I think I will always ask why isn't Disco in the side ahead of him because there is more likelihood of Disco running thru a side than Ishant
Under Rahul, he was a youngster trying to cement his place. Post that Jo'burg test in 2006, he became a superstar and lost his bowling consistency thereafter. As for being given a consistent run, well he needs to be fitter for him to play 10 tests at a stretch. And about him not getting support, the very fact that he has been picked directly to the test teams post his injuries, despite a list of mediocre performances, should tell you of the support he has from the team management. Add to it the fact that he got picked for the ODI WC, not having a great ODI record and then was preferred ahead of others for the WC opener and the finals. A look at his bowling averages for first class cricket and list A matches , 36 in each format (and going up with every outing) shows how highly overrated he has been. 3 great matches spread across 5 years is just not good enough. He has been rightly sent back to domestic cricket and unless he shows improvement in bowling, playing in the plate league, should not be called back any sooner.
I think the team management is looking beyond Sree now.Ishant can also run through the side like vs England at Lords but it happens very few times.He has to increase the frequency of those kind of performances. And this not getting faith from captain thing is crap reasoning.You never know when Sree will lose his mental equillibrium in a spell.Even during Dravid's captaincy he had a poor series in Eng and especially in TB test he was shocking.His main problem has been he himself and not the captains he has played under. And lastly I also want to see Aaron in a test match this series,purely because I think he will reverse swing the ball better than Umesh or Ishant.
I agree with you on all counts. Ishant needs to go back to domestic or country cricket at some point. You cannot unconditionally back a player, which is what the selectors are doing with Ishant! I would gladly like Ishant to play for India again but after he takes time out to improve himself. Agree about Santh. He is a match winner capable of causing problems for good settled batsmen. Dhoni didn't support him, sala chewtiya, he even verbally attacked him in SA :finger: Aaron got reverse in the ODI series and bowled accurately, however we need to give both guys a chance. Umesh deserves to be in the squad despite my assessment of him not changing since I saw him in day 1. (That he is too wayward, too straight, bowls nice pace to play strokes with little bounce)