Zaheer has a big role to play: Srinath

King

Chennai: Javagal Srinath says senior left-arm paceman Zaheer Khan has an important role to play on India?s tour of England. Said the former India pace ace at the MRF Pace Foundation on Wednesday, ?The knowledge should flow ... More... Zaheer has a big role to play: Srinath Chennai: Javagal Srinath says senior left-arm paceman Zaheer Khan has an important role to play on India’s tour of England. Said the former India pace ace at the MRF Pace Foundation on Wednesday, “The knowledge should flow from Zaheer to the rest of the pacemen. The attack slightly lacks in experience. Zaheer has bowled a lot in the English conditions.” In this context, he said, “With proper guidance, a rookie could enjoy success. A tour of England could hasten a paceman’s learning process.” The Indian pacemen should bowl a lot of overs, he added. Talking about the conditions in England, Srinath said, “There is little a paceman can do wrong in England unless he bowls badly. The conditions would be helpful.” A paceman’s length, he noted, could differ according to the surface and other factors. “While pitching a little more up in the English conditions could be beneficial, a paceman should be able to alter his length if the conditions demand so,” he observed. Good athlete Srinath felt S. Sreesanth could excel in England. “He has a lot of energy and life. He is also a good athlete, and comes in hard. He could graduate to the next level during the tour.” He also spoke about left-armer Rudra Pratap Singh’s deceptive pace. Srinath pointed out that Zaheer and Sreesanth could develop into a good new ball pair. “Pacemen operate in pairs. Pressure needs to be created from both ends. They have to bowl in tandem.” About the English attack, Srinath said left-armer Ryan Sidebottom was bowling well. The Indian batting, he believed, had the depth to put the runs on the board. — Special Correspondent

Sri always maintained Zaheer is "THE" best fast bowler in the country even when Zaheer was out of action. I remember this clearly before the Saffie series, I had mentioned to Sri Zaheer is absolutely of no use but then Sri asked me to wait till the series is over prior drawing conclusion. Post series I didn't want to talk about Zaheer :wink_smile:

One thing i really like about Sri (:wink_smile:) is that he limits most of his comments to fast bowling , something he was good at. Unlike other trash-talking past greats , he doesnt lend his voice to every topic that comes to mind !

Yup he even didn't want any of his answers to the questions posed by our forummers published here as he couldn't be forth right with his answers and also he was bound by ICC. One thing for sure, no adulation in glowing terms will ever be heard from him for every other bowler. He is very measured and calculated in his comments particularly in the public domain.

I'm really pessimistic about our bowling attack. We'll really struggle to take 20 wickets.
On overseas tours i only worry about our batting. If we put 300+ on the board every time we walk out to bat, we wont lose this series.

Srinath maybe right. At the moment, Yes, Zaheer is the best pace bowler we have. He has worked hard and earned his place in the team. He has been getting rather regularly and is a wonderful athelite. If any, I would like to see him get back to the pace in which he bowled during the 2003 World Cup. Although his accuracy had gotten much better, the pace has dropped. It is rare to see him complete an over with 137kmph + balls. With his experience in English conditions, which would surely help fast bbowling, and increased speed he could be a potent force.

Sri always maintained Zaheer is "THE" best fast bowler in the country even when Zaheer was out of action. I remember this clearly before the Saffie series' date=' I had mentioned to Sri Zaheer is absolutely of no use but then Sri asked me to wait till the series is over prior drawing conclusion. Post series I didn't want to talk about Zaheer :wink_smile:[/quote'] Ravi, What is Srinath's take on Nehra and Balaji. Does he think they are finished in terms of test cricket ?
^ Agree with Dhondy. Sreesanth is the only man among pansies in the Indian pace attack.
I still cannot believe some of guys rate Sreesanth ahead of Zaheer in the Indian pace attack. For me , Zaheer is still our spearhead. and Sree was the only fast bowler worth his salt in the Indian team , then why wasnt he played in the last match with S.Africa ? He would have recovered from the flu by then.
I still cannot believe some of guys rate Sreesanth ahead of Zaheer in the Indian pace attack. For me , Zaheer is still our spearhead. and Sree was the only fast bowler worth his salt in the Indian team , then why wasnt he played in the last match with S.Africa ? He would have recovered from the flu by then.
I think they mean test cricket only.
i think sreesanth will do well in english conditions....but we will miss Munna ..in these conditions.....i just hope they select piyush chawla as well.....just as a backup.. i am optimistic about a positive result in this series..
Zaheer's bowling will be wicked in English condtions. Just wait and watch.
It's good he is being kept away from ODIs. Yeah, Zaheer might look like the spearhead on paper but when the going will get tough you will see the likes of Zaheer wimp out of a challenge but watch this guy Sreesanth fight for the ball with heart and passion and run in try to grab wickets. He wont let a flurry of boundaries affect his morale, nor will he sulk in the outfield like other luminaries. Watch out, Sriram this guy is the future of Indian fast bowling. He has already won more test matches for India than Zaheer has in his entire career for starters.

Brilliantly put, Shwetabh. Zaheer has been the underperforming partner in many partnerships- with Srinath, with Agarkar, and then Pathan...he was never the lead act, and never will be. He becomes too smug with a couple of wickets or a good performance, and the heart goes out of him. Sreesanth, on the other hand, wants to be the best in the world, and expects nothing less of himself. That's the difference.