Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

Till the time I was in India , i was veeeeeeery keen on stocks and stuff. Always used to keep tabs on what was going in the stock market. Was always interested in doing something in it. When TCS first came up with its IPO ( starting 900 Rs per share) , I begged my father to buy atleast 50 shares. I knew the share would top off , and give a good profit in months. I though it was good one to start on. Even though i cried my throat out to my father on how the company would do well and stock would appreciate , he didnt buy it. Maybe he couldnt digest the fact that his 20 year old son knew more about stock markets than he did. The stock duly appreciated to 1400 bucks in 4-5 months. I ruefully watched as people who bought it for 900 bucks , did some profit booking when the share peaked and when it dipped again , bought back the share. In essence , they got 45,000 rupees for nothing in 6 months !

Guest dada_rocks
Alag thread bhi banaya par tum log lettuce ke share mein hi invest karna chah rahe ho!!:tounge_smile:
maafi guruji hamen dekha nahin:P

Guest dada_rocks
dada_rocks: the Advanta Bank Corp. bank you mentioned is a money market account not a savings account. So in that you have to maintain a minimum balance like 2500 in this case.
I don't mind that, point is whether they give gauranteed 5.2 or whatver percent return like savings account or not?

Guest dada_rocks
no its not.... you dint search it completely Geauga Savings Bank gives more interest dada_rocks: lets discuss this more in Finance thread
fir is bank mein kya kharaabi hai........why ING

I don't mind that' date=' point is whether they give gauranteed 5.2 or whatver percent return like savings account or not?[/quote'] the rate should not be the only factor for determining your choice of investment. You should also look into factors like: 1) how easily you can withdraw? 2) what abt ATMs? 3) how good is the customer service? 4) how much is the initial investment? and many others

Topic says "Finance/Investment discussions", but the posts seem far from relevant to the topic. I entered the thread hoping to read on stocks/options/bonds etc, but ended up reading about salaries, SAP and chinese lettuce:haha: Anyways, if there are fellow investors here on ICF, I'd love to discuss some strategies. Personally, this week (and this month, in general) has been astonishing for me from an investment standpoint, everything i have touched has turned into gold (touch wood!). Added $4K to the kitty on the back of just 3 spread trades in a week. I hope the markets stay up this way & let me ride a few more times.

Guest dada_rocks
the rate should not be the only factor for determining your choice of investment. You should also look into factors like: 1) how easily you can withdraw? 2) what abt ATMs? 3) how good is the customer service? 4) how much is the initial investment? and many others
I will give these guys call with the above questions. TIA:thumbs_up:

@ Bumper If you can just answer a couple of questions, ** Do you have a portfolio of stocks ? Or is it sometimes different company stocks in same sector ? ** Which sector do you think has the most promise long-term ? ** Do you follow the oft-quoted practice of " Buy when its low , or sell when its high " or you do more analysis than that ?

Guest dada_rocks
also whichever financial institution you are interested in' date=' just google its name for reviews. Sometimes you get handy experience encounters from people[/quote'] next week no politics/religion/sports reading.. u may be surprised to find I had to google to figure out what does CD stand for when u mentioned it :haha:

in case of stocks i have just invested in my company's stocks only. I would love to hear investing pointers from your side. Which company have you opened account with for trading?
My broker is Ameritrade. Am an apex member I have another acct with First Trade. I used that for mutual funds because they were commision free. But now they have started charging commisions. Am thinking of moving those funds back to Ameritrade

next week no politics/religion/sports reading.. u may be surprised to find I had to google to figure out what does CD stand for when u mentioned it :haha:
i just did a CD for 6 months with my bank and am getting a yield of 5%. if you do a CD of more than 6 months you might get a better rate

My broker is Ameritrade. Am an apex member I have another acct with First Trade. I used that for mutual funds because they were commision free. But now they have started charging commisions. Am thinking of moving those funds back to Ameritrade
I will open an account with Ameritrade soon. Few of my colleagues at work also suggested that

Guest dada_rocks

how this broker thing works.... on second thought i will do some research before bugging you guys with stupid questions

@ Bumper If you can just answer a couple of questions, ** Do you have a portfolio of stocks ? Or is it sometimes different company stocks in same sector ?
I do everything. I have my big investments in mutual funds. (Fairly aggressive funds with atleast 25-30% returns). I get in & get out of stocks as i see fit. I mostly stick to tech stocks & very rarely venture into non tech (such as energy) For trading, i deal only with options mostly spreads. Currently the market is bullish, hence bull spreads have been working well for me.
** Which sector do you think has the most promise long-term ?
As i said i keep all my long term investments in mutual funds. Thats the best way to play long term investments IMO, as individual stocks can fall any time on a bad news and wipe out your gains. I have the below funds: LETRX, UNWPX, DODFX, BRSVX and EWZ (ETF) to name a few.
** Do you follow the oft-quoted practice of " Buy when its low , or sell when its high " or you do more analysis than that ?
Buy low & sell high is bull dust. People who claim to be using such a strategy are just lying thru their teeth, as no one has such a crystal ball for the markets. No one really knows which way the market will move tomorrow. Good traders hedge their plays in such a way that probability is with them. Learning to trade with discipline is easier said than done. I learnt things the hard way (= losing real money). It takes a few years of painful losses to perfect the art. If you are new to the markets, you should simply stick to mutual funds. U dont need to know jack about the markets to make money with funds.

how this broker thing works.... on second thought i will do some research before bugging you guys with stupid questions
Its just like a bank DR. You move your money to their account. Your money will earn interest. U can also use it for trading