"I am thankful for ICF because"

Brainfade

For keeping my hand out of my pants while I am online! :giggle: For letting me connect with my people whom I may or may not meet in real life but are already part of my life. weird For letting me explore the game I love so much even after moving out of India Thank You! ps - Admins could have pulled one off today "Thanks giving, donate if you want to thank ICF"

Let me spell it out once again - none of the acknowledged greats have had their averages significantly altered by any rule or conditions change in cricket(except the change in pitches post WW-I). This proves that all acknowledged greats were adept at responding to changes in playing conditions, hence their batting average can be taken as a good first approximation of their ability.

That is not how it works ... Vivs career shone very brightly for a period of about 50-60 inngs upfront and by the time it ended was barely averaging in the 40s in the last 50-60 inngs . Its hardly a constant that you can use as a candle to connect 2 generations. Here's another hole in your theory : SMG - another great - struggled considerably in ODI's. Want to see another ?
ODIs? Where did they come from? But anyways, Gavaskar hardly struggled in ODIs - in fact he is an example of how someone adapted his game to ODIs. He averages 40+ for the last half of his ODI career at a strike rate rivaling the likes of Greenidge who were acknowledged as superb ODI players. Still don't see the relevance of bringing in Richards' mediocre second half of the career unless you are trying to say it was because of some rule or conditions change in cricket and not just because of natural fading of his abilities?

Because whether you like it or not batsmen are measured on the basis of their abilities to perform in Limited overs cricket AND Test Cricket.
So ODIs = Test cricket?
with a grand total of ONE hundred and a avg of 35 and just 561 runs at a breath taking SR of 57% lol Sunny himself acknowledges that he is no great shake in ODI's absolutely nothing like what he was in Tests. He would never walk into a All time Indian ODI lineup never mind a World XI. So much for being a ATG that could adapt.
Not sure what numbers you are talking about. But he was in around the top 10 ODI batsmen of his time for more than 80% of his ODI career : http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=1000;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=31+Dec+1987;spanmin1=01+Jan+1982;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting
Natural Fading of abilities that spanned 70% of his career ? ... that sounds more like something else. Had it not been the case that the WI teams of his time would win consistently thru their bowlers Viv's career might have come under a closer scrutiny.
What's your point?

Nope but ODI abilities are important.
How important?
The 561 runs and SR or 57% are for Worldcups. I don't need to see any stats to tell me that Sunny would fit into a Alltime ODI XI.
So, if someone would not fit into an all time World XI he is trash? I just showed you that for the vast majority of his ODI career, Gavaskar was right up there with the best of his times.
That he is no standard candle to begin with as there is no consistent brightness throughout ... His career has too many holes and his ATG ness is heavily relaint on his exploits that he made upfront in his career , the english FC scene and bravado and exploits of his fast bowling compatriots who are the true heroes of WestIndian cricket of that era. It helped considerably that he never had to face them in a Test match.
Big deal. Use someone else if you don't like Richards. Doesn't change the underlying facts that no all time great has had a drastic change in his batting average that can be attributed to any rule or conditions change since WW-I.

Where else would I get to meet/interact with such characters like transparent, Flamy, H@te, Rajiv, Professor Outy, Gambit, Bossbhai, Sachdan, Sachin=God, Rett, Patriot, Chandan ( she is a pillar isnt she, though most dont know), SRTfanssuck, Seraini, Gaurav92, Mariyam, Aaku, vvslaxman, beetle, akshayxyz, dhondy, under_score, punjabi_khota, punjabiplaya, etc, etc

Where else would I get to meet/interact with such characters like Flamy' date= H@te, Rajiv, Professor Outy, Gambit, Bossbhai, Sachdan, Sachin=God, Rett, Patriot, Chandan ( she is a pillar isnt she, though most dont know), SRTfanssuck, Seraini, Gaurav92, Mariyam, Aaku, vvslaxman, beetle, akshayxyz, dhondy, under_score, punjabi_khota, punjabiplaya, etc, etc
:giggity:

Where else would I get to meet/interact with such characters like Flamy' date=' H@te, Rajiv, Professor Outy, Gambit, Bossbhai, Sachdan, Sachin=God, Rett, Patriot, Chandan ( she is a pillar isnt she, though most dont know), SRTfanssuck, Seraini, Gaurav92, Mariyam, Aaku, vvslaxman, beetle, akshayxyz, dhondy, under_score, punjabi_khota, punjabiplaya, etc, etc[/quote'] I am transparent, not invisible :cantstop:

Thanks to ICF coz when I watch cricket now and see a boundary scored by Sachin or any other batter, it reminds me of charts with figures, scientific theories, threads about comparison. But when I go to bed and reminisce about it, I realize it was just another game which I was trying to enjoy :((