Ponting regains top spot as KP stumbles

Kevin Pietersen lost his #1 ranking on the ICC ODI batting table after 3 failures in the Natwest series. 1. R Ponting 799 2. K Pietersen 795 3. M Hussey 766 4. M Hayden 746 5. M Dhoni 736 6. R Sarwan 735 7. A Gilchrist 729 8. M Clarke 728 9. A Symonds 726 10. G Smith 725 The Windies moved to within 1 point of England after their Natwest series win. 1. Australia 130 2. South Africa 122 3. New Zealand 113 4. Pakistan 111 5. Sri Lanka 110 6. India 109 7. England 102 8. West Indies 101 9. Bangladesh 45 10. Ireland 27 11. Zimbabwe 22 12. Kenya 0

Donny , "You" doesnt meant "YOU" the person . Its a common usage of words. When someone wants to attribute something to no one in particular , they say something like " The whole city is under floods , and you have the govt doing nothing" . I meant that way. Sorry , i have no business in giving you a tutorial in English , but i had to make it clear. I knew it wasnt your rankings. This IS precisely the reason why told you earlier that " You ( as in You , i mean You) should sometimes think twice before posting" And you ( again YOU) responded by saying you ( nope, not this time) dont have to patronise anyone ! :)

Sorry, mm. That whole post is difficult to understand. You used you in a reply to my post, as in: "and here you have them ranked above..". Correct English would've been they because you were referring to the ICC or it if you meant the formula used by the ICC. Anyway, the main thrust of your first reply indicated you didn't understand how those rankings are worked out. That's why I gave you the link.:regular_smile:

I am pretty sure the usage i used is quite common, though its more common in spoken terms rather than written ones. You could have asked for a clarification before deciding i was inferring you. Its pretty strange because everybody knows no single induvidual would have his/her own team rankings with precise points, which is all the more reason i am bit perplexed why you thought i was referring you, in that "you". And ofcourse i know how these rankings work and how the points are awarded. But they may not always reflect the true reality, which is what i was referring to.:regular_smile:

They do. 4. What period does the table cover? The table reflects all ODIs played since August two years ago. All ODIs played until the start of next August will be added to this table, so by then the ratings will be based on three years of results. Then, next August, the first year of results will be dropped and so on. This pattern is repeated each August, with the oldest of the three years of results removed to be gradually replaced with results of matches played over the following 12 months. Thus once a year, the rankings will change overnight without any new ODIs being played. This process, called updating the data, will take place at the start of August each year. This time has been chosen since it is usually a relatively quiet time in the ODI calendar. The exact date of the next update will be confirmed by the ICC. http://www.lgiccrankings.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------- As it's almost August, perhaps India will be better placed when their older losses drop off.

With so much cricket around, the most consisent should be lingering in tops For eg., if India beats Aus ( hypothetically ) in one-days series, our ranking will sky-rise, but if we fail against WI and Eng, we are really no good I don't think teams compete to up the ante in these tables, take it with a pinch if salt, ICC ranking..OK, whatever

India have beaten Sri Lanka ' date=' West Indies , S.Africa in the last 3 bilateral series they have played with these teams. and here you have them ranked above just Eng and WI ! These rankings are a joke ![/quote'] I'm not saying the ICC table reflect the reality but am sure you will remember India lost 4-1 to WI in WI and 4-0 to South Africa in South Africa. The ranking takes into consideriation the last 2 series' and not just the last series. India has lost heaps against WI since the last year. They lost against WI in Malaysia and ICC trophy too. I say WI has a wood on India.

The rankings are spot on. India deserve to be where they are, especially in light of their recent ODI performances. Humiliated by WI in the Malaysia triangular, the first round elimination in the Champions Trophy, the thrashing in South Africa and then the first round elimination in the World Cup. These were four big series for India and they screwed up in each one. Funny seeing Dhoni ranked #5. I expect him to be languishing at around 17th by the end of this tour.

The rankings are spot on. India deserve to be where they are, especially in light of their recent ODI performances. Humiliated by WI in the Malaysia triangular, the first round elimination in the Champions Trophy, the thrashing in South Africa and then the first round elimination in the World Cup. These were four big series for India and they screwed up in each one. Funny seeing Dhoni ranked #5. I expect him to be languishing at around 17th by the end of this tour.
What has Pakistan done to be at no. 4 ?
What has Pakistan done to be at no. 4 ?
Not much. I don't follow Pakistan, so i can't tell you how they have done for the last two seasons off the top of my head. But the difference is negligible - just 2 points. When the new rankings will be released, India will be ranked ahead of them