Avoid Whatmore, says Ranatunga

King

The former Sri Lanka captain is believed to have cautioned the PCB against appointing Dave Whatmore as the team's new coach. More... Avoid Whatmore, says Ranatunga July 09, 2007 20:12 IST Former Sri Lanka [Images] captain Arjuna Ranatunga has advised Pakistani players and the team management not to have Australian Dav Whatmore as their new coach, it is learnt. Ranatunga, who captained Sri Lanka to the 1996 World Cup triumph with Whatmore as coach, is learnt to have given a "run-down" on the Australian during a chance meeting with manager-cum-coach Talat Ali in Scotland, where the team was to play two one-day games, according to reliable sources in the Pakistan team. "Ranatunga was asked for his opinion about Whatmore, as he had worked for a number of years in the Sri Lankan team," a source said. "Ranatunga during his talks with Talat and some senior players gave them a run down on Whatmore and eventually his advice was to avoid him," he added. "Ranatunga did admit that Whatmore was coach when Sri Lanka won the 1996 World Cup, but said the players also had a big credit in this as well." When Whatmore was Sri Lanka's coach he had problems with Ranatunga, and both spoke out against each other publicly. Whatmore is one of the three Australians shortlisted by the Pakistan Cricket Board for appointment as the new coach and indications are that he and not compatriots Geoff Lawson or Richard Done might get the job because of his experience at working with Asian teams like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Sources also said Talat had backed Lawson for the job when asked for his opinion by the PCB. "Talat has advised the Board to go for Lawson with whom he is very impressed. In the team as well they are more votes for Lawson and Done than for Whatmore because some players are wary of Whatmore's background and man-management skills." PCB Director Cricket Operations Zakir Khan, when contacted, said no final decision has been taken on the new coach. "We are still studying the available options to us and a final decision would be made when the Ad-Hoc committee meets on July 15 or 16," he said.

Hmmmm.... Whatmore may not really be coaching Pakistan either. It's quite surprising a fairly successful coach like Whatmore is not quite liked by many. Bangladesh had warned India not to employ him and now this. Somehow Whatmore's over eagerness may see him not coach a single international team in the end.

I'm always wary of this sort of 'report'. First, the headline indicates, "says Ranatunga" but this is not validated in the article. Instead we see, "Arjuna Ranatunga has advised Pakistani players and the team management not to have Australian Dav Whatmore as their new coach, it is learnt." Next sentence: "Ranatunga, who captained Sri Lanka to the 1996 World Cup triumph with Whatmore as coach, is learnt to have given a "run-down" on the Australian" Next sentence is followed by the scurrilous, "a source said" Further down, we see, "Sources also said" 'A source' is not valid journalism. In fact it amounts to gossip/rumour. I have little respect for Ranatunga anyway and he might well have said those things but unless articles like the above acknowledge a legitimate source, they mean nothing. I haven't had a lot to do with Rediff News and am unlikely to in the future if this is an example of their standards. Ravi, what do you mean by Whatmore's over eagerness ? :regular_smile:

Whatmore sounded a bit too enthusiastic early on Donny. Even before he could be appointed as Indian coach he made a lot of noise and talked plenty about his future plans as an India coach. He echoed similar sentiments after attending the interview with Pakistan cricket board too. In fact he resigned as Bangladesh coach even before being appointed the Indian coach to make way for his induction into Indian set up. Somehow he buggered his chances by taking it for granted he was going to be appointed a coach.

Some excellent observations there by Donny ! I totally agree with him. This is similar to the recent incident where Ponting said " It will be good if we can win 7-0 against India" and the headlines dutifully shouted " Ponting predicts 7-0 whitewash against India" ! :hysterical:

Whatmore surprised at Ranatunga criticism Dav Whatmore expressed surprise at Arjuna Ranatunga's advise to Pakistan's cricket establishment to "avoid" him for the coach's job. More... Whatmore surprised at Ranatunga criticism PTI NEW DELHI, July 10: Dav Whatmore on Tuesday expressed surprise at former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga's advise to Pakistan's cricket establishment to "avoid" him for the coach's job but refused to be dragged into a public argument with him. "I don't know what his motivations were but he is entitled to his own personal views and I have no desire to get dragged into a public argument with him," Whatmore was quoted as saying by Cricinfo . "The facts are that I have indicated my desire to coach Pakistan and, if appointed, I am confident of being able to do an extremely good job with a very talented group of players," he said. Whatmore is one of the three Australians shortlisted by the Pakistan Cricket Board for appointment as the new coach and indications have been that Whatmore and not compatriots Geoff Lawson and Richard Done might get the job because of his experience with working with Asian teams like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. But sources in PCB have said Ranatunga, who captained Sri Lanka to 1996 World Cup glory with Whatmore as the coach, is learnt to have given a "run-down" on the Australian when he had a chance meeting with manager-cum-coach Talat Ali in Scotland where the team had recently gone to play two One-day games.

seems like whatmore is very desparate to get this job.. this desparation is gonna cost him this job as well.. ------------ Whatmore's surprise at Ranatunga 'criticism' Cricinfo staff July 10, 2007 spacer.gif298982.jpg?alt=1 Whatmore is surprised by Ranatunga's comments © AFP Dav Whatmore has expressed his surprise and disappointment at reports that Arjuna Ranatunga, the former Sri Lanka captain, has advised the PCB against hiring him as their next coach. According to PTI, Ranatunga had a chance encounter with Talat Ali, the Pakistan manager, in Scotland recently. When asked for his thoughts on Whatmore as an option, given that the two had worked together extensively and led Sri Lanka to their 1996 World Cup triumph, Ranatunga reportedly offered the advice that Whatmore should be avoided. "I don't know what his motivations were but he is entitled to his own personal views and I have no desire to get dragged into a public argument with him," Whatmore told Cricinfo. Whatmore was one of three Australians shortlisted by the Pakistan board for the coaching position, lying vacant since the death of Bob Woolmer in March. Geoff Lawson, the former Test fast bowler, and Richard Done, the ICC's High performance manager, are the others. "The facts are that I have indicated my desire to coach Pakistan and, if appointed, I am confident of being able to do an extremely good job with a very talented group of players," Whatmore said. Kumar Sangakkara, who made his debut while Whatmore was in charge, endorsed his credentials to be the Pakistan coach. "I have absolutely no doubt that Dav is exactly the kind of coach Pakistan needs right now," Sangakkara told Cricinfo. "He has the expertise and the experience, including a World Cup win, the pinnacle of coaching success. I count myself as very fortunate to have broken into the national side with him as coach. It helped me to hone the right attitude towards hard work and getting out of my comfort zone that has stood me in good stead ever since," he said. Ranatunga's advice comes on the back of increasing chatter within Pakistan that Whatmore may not be the favourite he once was for the position. Some of the players, especially senior ones, are said to be more keen on Geoff Lawson, wary of Whatmore's reputation as a no-nonsense taskmaster. According to the PTI report, Talat Ali has also given Lawson his backing. The board, however, is refusing to say anything other than each candidate was impressive and that a final decision will be taken soon. Though Nasim Ashraf, the board chairman, has repeatedly said a decision would be made by July 1, it looks likely that one will be taken at the next meeting of the board's ad-hoc committee, in the middle of the month. © Cricinfo

Why is this bolded, zubin ? And how does it indicate he's 'desperate' ? "The facts are that I have indicated my desire to coach Pakistan and, if appointed, I am confident of being able to do an extremely good job with a very talented group of players," Whatmore said." That's exactly what I'd like to hear an applicant for such an important position say, if I was on the selection panel.

Donny has a good point. I am not sure what exactly some people here expect a coach-nominee or applicant to say. Something like ' it will be a great honour, i am dying to do this all my life, i am orgasming due to extreme honour' ?!? or ' meh..i'll take it if they offer it...its no biggie..but i wouldnt mind the challenge...but i dont mind doing other things with my time' ?!? Eh ?!??

Why is this bolded, zubin ? And how does it indicate he's 'desperate' ? "The facts are that I have indicated my desire to coach Pakistan and, if appointed, I am confident of being able to do an extremely good job with a very talented group of players," Whatmore said." That's exactly what I'd like to hear an applicant for such an important position say, if I was on the selection panel.
well y does he have to respond to such news..? yeah agreed.. thts wat every employer wud like to hear.. but if someone responds to some unauthentic news (ur earlier post) and reiterates tht hes confident of the job bla bla and tht too after being interviewd for the post surre sounds like hes desparate to get this job....well atleast thts wat i feel..

If indeed this news is true , the its totally shocking , considering Whatmore was SL's world cup winning coach. He literally put SL in the map. Whatmore must be feeling like a dud now. Initially , his contract with Bangladesh wasnt renewed. Then India snobbed him. And now Pak may reject him too. He must be wondering -- " What the hell is going on here ? "

It's an Asian thingy. When applying for a job, look down at your toes, blush, giggle, and then intone in a shrill monotone, "heh-heh-heh, master...sir...I think I'll be able to do this job, but I am not sure, but I'll give off my best, so can I have your kind consideration please?" Whatmore is too Aussie to fit in with the idiots who populate our shortlisting committees.
It's an Asian thingy. When applying for a job, look down at your toes, blush, giggle, and then intone in a shrill monotone, "heh-heh-heh, master...sir...I think I'll be able to do this job, but I am not sure, but I'll give off my best, so can I have your kind consideration please?" Whatmore is too Aussie to fit in with the idiots who populate our shortlisting committees.
In the dog-eat-dog world, humility is not seen as a virtue. But Dhondy, you describe a stereotype of the pre-80s desis, but these days, the generation is quite confident, cut-throat, aggressive and go-getters. You cannot use that argument anymore.
Guest dada_rocks

Why do people hate characters like ranatunga/ganguly so much is beyond me.. Not every desi has to be mumbling conformist. It's time we get used to it , . In fact we should start looking at it as emulatable virtue.

Why do people hate characters like ranatunga/ganguly so much is beyond me.. Not every desi has to be mumbling conformist. It's time we get used to it ' date=' . In fact we should start looking at it as emulatable virtue.[/quote'] Why is it that people who like Ganguly always end up liking senile old fool Gavasker and pot belly Ranatunga.:tounge_smile: