'Where are the good left-arm spinners?'

King

Well my point is' date=' if he isnt the sole selector, why blame him ?!? You dont know whether it was held by vote or by other recommendations or if Pras picked himself..it'd be uncharacterstic of him,since Pras is a very modest man.[/quote'] The question here is not " How did Prasanna bring himself to selecting himself ?" , but " How the hell did they select Prasanna over Kumble ? "
The question here is not " How did Prasanna bring himself to selecting himself ?" ' date=' but " How the hell did they select Prasanna over Kumble ? "[/quote'] Err..if you read carefully, someone is implying that they lost respect for Prasanna because Prasanna 'picked himself over Jumbo'.
Good at one thing doesnt mean being good at another...even in terms of thinking. I am up for almost any nut-busting problem in electromagnetics or microelectronics...but i still **** myself if i have to think about sigma bonds or Pi bonds in chemistry...
No , We didnt ask Prasanna about Microelectronics or Plasma physics. We asked him about cricket -- " Who is the best off-spinner in the world ? " And he gave the most ridiculous answer - " No one" . Maybe he is just getting too old.
Err..if you read carefully' date=' someone is implying that they lost respect for Prasanna because Prasanna 'picked himself over Jumbo'.[/quote'] I know that. I am not concerned about individual opinions. I am more worried about Kumble being dropped.
Well my point is' date=' if he isnt the sole selector, why blame him ?!? You dont know whether it was held by vote or by other recommendations or [b']if Pras picked himself..it'd be uncharacterstic of him,since Pras is a very modest man.
Actually your point is valid .I am just *****ing around !:tounge_smile: BTW, I couldn't get hold of his 11. I just remember Dhondy's comment regarding him picking himself. I need to check again.

Working from home sounds so convenient. I know of a VERY high ranking person in Dell , who records all the meetings in his comp , while he merrily watches TV serials. When everything is over , he then sees the video of the meetings !

Where are the left arm spinners? There are plenty. Iqbal Abdullah: Bombay Appanna: Karnataka Shahabaz Nadeem: Bihar Pragyan Ojha: Hyderabad Rajesh Pawar: Vadodara How many does Pras want? And what exactly does he mean by being a "good left arm spinners"? Most of these boys are young and it is board's job to nurture them and help them take their game to the next level. Why didn't he question what the board's policy is to nurture these youngsters?? What is he doing to make these spinners world-class?

you expect Prasanna to have decent amount of cricketing acumen. How the hell did these players devise match strategies ? and special batsman to get opposition players out ?
First question: Once again, good players don't necessarily have good general or strategic cricket brains. They just bat or bowl well. Early days of one of my best bowlers: Me, "Ok, mate. How do you want the field?" Bowler: "No idea. That's your job. Just tell me where you want me to aim." Second question: Could you run that by me again ? :confused:
Early days of one of my best bowlers: Me, "Ok, mate. How do you want the field?" Bowler: "No idea. That's your job. Just tell me where you want me to aim." Second question: Could you run that by me again ? confused.gif
:haha::giggle::haha: Perchance, was it Thommo ? sounds very similar to ' i just run in and go whang' comment of his. I can see a pacer make this kind of comment- they can get a few 'freebie' wickets through the intimidation factor against the not-so-good bats.I dont think spinners can be successful at the test level without having the ability to out-think batsmen. (and Pras was one of the most successful offies ever - as good an offie as any not named MM really)
What is he doing to make these spinners world-class?
Its not his job. Someone asked him what he thought of spinners, he told them. What are we doing here to make world class indian pacers ? We whine here all the time about it! By same standards, we shouldnt comment on any player's worth either. And if we can have an opinion, Pras is more than entitled to!
First question: Once again, good players don't necessarily have good general or strategic cricket brains. They just bat or bowl well. Early days of one of my best bowlers: Me, "Ok, mate. How do you want the field?" Bowler: "No idea. That's your job. Just tell me where you want me to aim." Second question: Could you run that by me again ? :confused:
I was going to say that bowlers need to be really sharp to analyze batsman and get them out. And if my bowler were to say to me that fielding positions were not his domain , i would surely be dis-appointed. And the intnl bowler of today is far far more sophisticated than that.
Where are the left arm spinners? There are plenty. Iqbal Abdullah: Bombay Appanna: Karnataka Shahabaz Nadeem: Bihar Pragyan Ojha: Hyderabad Rajesh Pawar: Vadodara How many does Pras want? And what exactly does he mean by being a "good left arm spinners"? Most of these boys are young and it is board's job to nurture them and help them take their game to the next level. Why didn't he question what the board's policy is to nurture these youngsters?? What is he doing to make these spinners world-class?
nice list there, Chandan..... isnt ravi jadeja also a promising left-armer who can also wield the willow.... Ex-selector Raju has a high regard for Ojha... either because they ply the same trade or both are from the same zone.... Abdullah seems to be the real deal among the local cricket followers there, i hear...
Early days of one of my best bowlers: Me, "Ok, mate. How do you want the field?" Bowler: "No idea. That's your job. Just tell me where you want me to aim."
:haha::giggle::haha: Perchance, was it Thommo ?
Well, thanks for the compliment mate but I never got to live out my teen dream of captaining the Oz Test team. :wink_smile:
nice list there, Chandan..... isnt ravi jadeja also a promising left-armer who can also wield the willow.... Ex-selector Raju has a high regard for Ojha... either because they ply the same trade or both are from the same zone.... Abdullah seems to be the real deal among the local cricket followers there, i hear...
Yes Gator. When I first saw Ravindra Jadeja, I thought he was a handy bowler. But he disappointed me in the domestic season. It seems he is good for just limited overs game. Bowling to get the batsmen out is not his forte, it seems now. But all the bowlers that I've listed are very promising but are raw. Their skill needs fine-tuning. And the board has to help them here. But unfortunately, its not happening!!