Android vs IOS

EnterTheVoid

If your ultimate end goal is to publish your app on Apple iTunes / android-marketplace, then overall cost of development & publishing for iOS is much more than that for android. For iOS, you need to pay for SDK, some cost for publishing, and you need a legal OSX (macbook or something) for the development. here is a link to comparing the two, the figure are just indicators, but you get the idea - what all components you will have to pay for. http://gigaom.com/apple/mac-dev-notes-ios-and-android-development-compared/ Do a bit of more googling on relative development costs, as per current rate. Also, for iOS you will need to learn objective-c, unless it is already in your skillset, it will take a bit of learning curve. But, biggest factor in favor of iOS development is - you do not need to worry about 100s of different devices. Also, Mac is more popular development platform among developers. ( though I believe, a good developer can use any tool ). And in case, if you are contemplating developing for both platforms - then it is even more uphill task. Pick one, and get your hands dirty on that. There are few more factors, like % of the sale you have to pay the market place. But that is something you need not worry at the beginning, or if you make it big, and your app is really popular.

Akshay, I take it you are in software development. At least, that is my educated guess based on the logic and reasoning you gave, which I completely agree with btw. Ultimately, I want to be really proficient on the technical side of things. I am thinking this method is a way of developing some software skills across a wide range of languages, platforms and tools.

Akshay, I take it you are in software development. At least, that is my educated guess based on the logic and reasoning you gave, which I completely agree with btw. Ultimately, I want to be really proficient on the technical side of things. I am thinking this method is a way of developing some software skills across a wide range of languages, platforms and tools.
yes, you guessed it right (I thought you already knew). I had explored this phone apps development option from business perspective. And most of young folks read stories about some phone app developer becoming millionaire and get attracted, so I thought some such thing might be on your mind..hence these quick links/info. Also, I felt like warning you that developing for both iOS and android simultaneously will not be practical, both from time and money perspective - esp when I guess you are going back to school. As for getting proficient at technical side of things - well, there is a connection, but it is not a dependency. As in, you can be proficient at stuff by doing open source development too - within your current skill set. But yes, most important is what keeps you interested, and there is an initial attraction about developing apps for phones. After that you have to consciously work towards a goal, otherwise you will end up scratching surfaces only. btw, do you have any particular programming language/platform in target?

Also, I felt like warning you that developing for both iOS and android simultaneously will not be practical, both from time and money perspective - esp when I guess you are going back to school.
Exactly. I would recommend starting with android, since it is easier and cheaper. iOS can come later.

Google threatened Acer with Android excommunication claims Alibaba

"Our partner received notification from Google that if the new product launch with Aliyun went ahead, Google would terminate Android product cooperation and related technical authorization with Acer," Alibaba Cloud Computing said in a statement.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-acer-alibaba-google-idINBRE88C0HW20120913

iOS is best. Period. Phew! That was easy.
You did exactly what Apple does - copy what someone else is doing and the loudly claim that you have won. Next you will get a patent for "period" and you will be suing members for using that word in their posts. Disappointing.