'Bhagvad Gita' faces 'extremist' branding, legal ban in Russia

Sachin=GOD

To be honest, any govt. who takes religious texts seriously in today's date and starts banning or creating problems due to them needs to check up with some mental asylum. Religious texts would not suit today's world and it is a fact irrespective of anything. So, govts. around the world need to check that fanaticism is not propagated and let other religious activities continue as it is. Russia is more of an atheist nation if I am not incorrect but to stop religion completely for any particular reason is not acceptable either. Regarding banning bible it is extremely wrong to do for us too as there are a large number of Christians in India and to harm our own citizens for somebody else doing something in some other country is not acceptable either. The govt. should take up this issue with Russia quickly though. However, maybe the translation made by the mentioned writer was not proper otherwise Bhagvad Gita has no fanaticism I know of to be banned. Perhaps the writer wrote some wrong interpretation of Gita and maybe his Russian is not that good due to which it is conveying a wrong meaning. Perhaps that also needs to be checked and some actual Indian need to check the content of "his translation" that incited the ban.

Not a very tolerant society are they ? There was this case going on in Tennessee i guess wherein some locals were against a new mosque. The redneck lawyer's argument was that Islam is not a religion since Sharia law is cruel (something like that). The local court got a notice from the dept. of justice letting them know Islam is a religion and hence the first amendment should be kept in mind. Of course the court did not rule against the proposed mosque. Anything of that sort expected in Russia ?

LOL, yeah, go protest against a country that is one of india's oldest, long standing allies and most reliable arms and aircraft suppliers, because they didn't think much of your crappy religious book. that makes sense. on a related note, i just love seeing whats happening in europe nowadays. blanket bans on public religious expression, religious rituals, monitoring of religious institutions, shunning of stupid religious laws. step 1 in achieving a terror free society.

I dont see what business is it of the Indian embassy to get involved in what is an internal matter of another country. What has the Indian govt got to do with the Gita, or whether it is banned in Russia?
oh you are so naive. If India were to ban bible, you would have liberal cvnts, secularists, missionary run NGOs and religious politicians world over hounding Indian embassies and government regarding such gross violation of human rights and freedom of religion. Indians (projecting outwardly), are the most understanding group there is. (except when it comes to sachin tendulkar). We as a community have taken so much unwarranted sh!t that I'm surprised when our politicians and bureaucrats actually make a stand at the International forum (lets face it, these politicians are only good at pillaging national resources. They become bheegi billiis infront of gori chamdi.)

Russia is more of an atheist nation if I am not incorrect but to stop religion completely for any particular reason is not acceptable either.
Russia is not an Atheist country anymore .there are reports that from past 2-3 decades Russians are moving toward orthodox christianity. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/11/26/religion-good-evil-poll-hitchens-blair.html#ixzz16R9iIsTT there was a poll that how many people in country believe that religion is for good.Surprisingly 59% Russians believe that religion is force for good ahead of christian italy where only 50% believe.

I don't see what the big deal is about from our end. Its their country. They can ban it if they wish to. The government should officially talk about this but I don't see any reason for newspapers to put it on the front page. They do so on the pretext of claiming it malign's India.... Hello, you put it on the frontpage to malign us in the first place! As for disappointed readers, I'm sure they have hawkers selling "original" copies out there too. And people who want something have their ways of finding it too.

I don't see what the big deal is about from our end. Its their country. They can ban it if they wish to. The government should officially talk about this but I don't see any reason for newspapers to put it on the front page. They do so on the pretext of claiming it malign's India.... Hello, you put it on the frontpage to malign us in the first place! As for disappointed readers, I'm sure they have hawkers selling "original" copies out there too. And people who want something have their ways of finding it too.
India is the only country that can officially take the cause of Hindu,Sikhs and Jains.these religions don't have any other country so India should officially talk to Russia in this regard

Russia is not an Atheist country anymore .there are reports that from past 2-3 decades Russians are moving toward orthodox christianity. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/11/26/religion-good-evil-poll-hitchens-blair.html#ixzz16R9iIsTT there was a poll that how many people in country believe that religion is for good.Surprisingly 59% Russians believe that religion is force for good ahead of christian italy where only 50% believe.
Change is the harbinger of Hope

India is the only country that can officially take the cause of Hindu' date='Sikhs and Jains.these religions don't have any other country so India should officially talk to Russia in this regard[/quote'] They should. But the media, given the way they go about it, shouldn't. This is purely inciting people.