Meanwhile, the chucker gets another 5'fer

gator

Muttiah Muralitharan described his performance of taking a century of wickets at Asgiriya International Stadium as 'a tremendous achievement in a long career'. "I have already taken a hundred wickets in two other venues at Galle and SSC this is the third. It is not easy to take 100 wickets in each venue. Not many people have done it," said Muralitharan who finished off the Bangladesh first innings for 131 by taking his 59th five-for in an innings with figures of 6 for 28. Murali started the Test requiring four wickets to reach a hundred wickets at this venue. He had taken two wickets overnight and when play resumed after a delay of 30 minutes Murali quickly finished off the Bangladesh innings capturing four of the remaining six wickets for 18 runs in 5.5 overs. When questioned about the opposition he was bowling against Murali retorted: "A Test wicket is a Test wicket. The ICC has given Bangladesh Test status. They have some good players. Although I have been getting a lot of wickets against them the majority of them are not bad players against spin." "Bangladesh cricket in on a learning curve. They are taking longer than any other country. We have to give them the opportunity. Then only can they improve. Otherwise if they stop playing Test cricket and play one-day cricket they won't adjust to the system. They should play more four-day cricket with 'A' teams against other nations. When you get beaten so often very badly it also demoralizes them," he said. Murali edged closer to Shane Warne's world record-tally of 708 Test wickets with his six-wicket haul today taking his overall tally to 694 Test wickets, leaving him 15 wickets shy of Warne's mark. Murali expressed doubts when he would pass Warne's figure. There is a lot of expectation that he may do it in Australia when Sri Lanka tour there in November, but Murali said: "With the present weather conditions I don't know whether I will get a bowl in the second innings. It's never going to be easy to get 15 wickets in two Test matches in Australia. They won't have Warne so it's going to be seamer-friendly wickets. Maybe I will achieve the world record against Australia or against England. Sooner or later I will pass him. I have a few more years left in cricket so definitely I will reach the record and go beyond that." Murali has 20 wickets in the on-going Test series against Bangladesh and will be expected to play a big role if Sri Lanka is to win the third and final Test and make a clean 3-0 sweep of the series. "We can pull off a win here because the score Bangladesh achieved in their first innings is too less. It's a very poor score for a Test match. If we have good weather in the next three days we can make a good score and I expect the pitch to do something here than at the SSC and the Sara Stadium. The pitch helps a little bit more for seamers and spinners," he said. Sri Lanka finished a rain ruined second day at 30 without loss and trail Bangladesh by 101 runs. dium. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/content/current/story/301713.html

some interesting stats.. In only his ninth Test against Bangladesh, the chucker has a phenomenal haul of 70 wickets (till the first innings of the ongoing Kandy Test) at an average of 12.20. Now now now..... in all his tests in india, australia and south africa - guess what the cheat averages... 36 at a SR of 74.... .

some interesting stats.. In only his ninth Test against Bangladesh, the chucker has a phenomenal haul of 70 wickets (till the first innings of the ongoing Kandy Test) at an average of 12.20. Now now now..... in all his tests in india, australia and south africa - guess what the cheat averages... 36 at a SR of 74.... .
:haha::haha::haha: Nice work. That stat exposes Chuttiah Chuthialitharan - not just as being a cheat (which he undoubtedly is) but as a lame cheat who can only get it done against minnows...:thumbs_up:

This is what it says.. . This week's Numbers Game examines that argument, taking into consideration all Tests since 2000. Over the last six-and-a-half years, Murali has developed his craft to such an extent that he is a huge threat against all opposition in all conditions. The table below confirms Murali's outstanding success against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe - he has 12 five-fors in 14 Tests since 2000 - but while the wickets haven't come at quite such a torrential rate against other sides, the drop is only marginal. Exclude all the matches he has played in the subcontinent and Zimbabwe, and the numbers still look impressive - nearly six wickets per Test and an average of less than 22. Extrapolating his numbers against the higher-ranked teams (third row in the table above) to the matches he played against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, he would have had 97 wickets from those 14 games - just 17 fewer than he actually did. Which suggests that playing Bangladesh and Zimbabwe over the last seven years hasn't significantly boosted his tally; he would have got the wickets anyway, against other teams as well. Please dont put one-sided stats that are misleading !

Fact is, Murali is superior to Warne against quality spin-opposition. Even with BD-Zim subtracted, Murali has a better record than Warney. Not to mention, Murali doesnt have the kind of batting and bowling support Warney has to make his life easier. This thread is evidence of nothing more except for jealousy towards the greatest bowler the world has ever seen. Again i ask, Shane who ?

Fact is, Murali is superior to Warne against quality spin-opposition. Even with BD-Zim subtracted, Murali has a better record than Warney. Not to mention, Murali doesnt have the kind of batting and bowling support Warney has to make his life easier. This thread is evidence of nothing more except for jealousy towards the greatest bowler the world has ever seen. Again i ask, Shane who ?
this thread is not a comparison between shane and murali.... open another thread for tht... this thread is to highlight some facts about a certain javelin thrower...
this thread is to highlight some facts about a certain javelin thrower...
Facts and javelin thrower dont go hand in hand when concerning Murali. As i said, fact is Murali and McGrath flex is less than 2 degrees apart....yet mcGrath doesnt get discriminated against. Simply because the gullibles who claim 'fact' in murali's chucking don't know fact from fiction.
Nope.. the stat is very misleading. The latest cricinfo article mentions that since 2000, Murali has been as effective against the top-guns as he has been against the minnows.
thts around the time, the chucker brought in the doosra.....

You can pull Murali down as much as you like Gator but he is here to stay. ICC the governing body (I know you will be laughing at the mention of ICC :wink_smile: ) says he is legal. Nothing can stop him from being the Bradman of bowlers. In abouot 20-30 years time none will remember his action. Everyone will look at the numbers and will be astonished.

thts around the time' date=' the chucker brought in the doosra.....[/quote'] Not exactly true. Murali's doosra came into prominence late 2003 and early 2004. His doosra was infact banned by the ICC in may 2004. Assuming he had started bowling that delivery 6 months prior to that , he first introduced the doosra in late 2003. Besides , I would really like how people consider his normal off-spinner legal and then his doosra illegal ? I certainly dont understand the sophistication of the law here. It is sad that some fine thinkers in this board have an explicit prejudice against Murali , without even being fully aware of the law and how it works.Just because he has been called a chucker by some sections of the media , it doesnt make him one. Such malicious campaign has smeared one of the most outstanding cricketing genius this game has ever seen !
Assuming he had started bowling that delivery 6 months prior to that , he first introduced the doosra in late 2003.
wrong assumption.... Saqlain pioneered and brought the doosra into prominence circa 98-99.... Murali with his bent arm took to it, like a fish to water...
Besides , I would really like how people consider his normal off-spinner legal and then his doosra illegal ? I certainly dont understand the sophistication of the law here.
i am not the one.... i consider all of his deliveries illegal... the doosra even more so....
It is sad that some fine thinkers in this board have an explicit prejudice against Murali , without even being fully aware of the law and how it works.
u r assuming, we dont know the law... u dont realise, we also know how he uses the law to cheat.... we have been thro this discussion before, so i will leave it there... but u will be using a different yard-stick if u consider shoaib and asif as druggies, cos they were also exonerated....