Cricket is political in India: Wright

King

Former India cricket coach John Wright has described the BCCI as a bunch of people 'who often make bewildering decisions'. More... Cricket is political in India: Wright July 14, 2007 17:42 IST Describing the Board of Control for Cricket in India as a bunch of people "who often make bewildering decisions", former Team India coach John Wright [Images] said there is too much "political interference" in the gentleman's game in the country. "Cricket is so political in India. I wouldn't say anyone gets into the Test side purely because of political pressure, but some states are better than others," he said. Though he was heartened by suggestions that India's apex cricket body would adopt a more professional approach to selection, abandoning "favouritism", he called the BCCI "an extraordinary organisation run by a handful of people who often make bewildering decisions and don't give a hoot what the outside world thinks of them," he was quoted as saying in The Guardian. Anguished over "political interference", Wright, one of the game's most successful coaches, said, "Nothing caused my blood pressure to rise more than the times when the players were besieged in the dressing room by a chief minister and his entourage, or by a powerful businessman asserting his rights." Wright, who was appointed India's first foreign coach in 2000, said the BCCI does not seem to be serious about nurturing new talent. "They are still the best batsmen in India. There are no other Dravids or Tendulkars on the horizon. "I once turned up to Kanpur and saw a 14-year-old leg-spinner and an off-spinner troubling VVS Laxman in the nets. They were as good as anyone I had ever seen at that age. You just don't see talent like that. A year later no one could tell me where they had gone, only that it was 'difficult'. "It's a minefield!" Recalling his Indian experience, he said the practice kit consisted of three baseball mitts, 30 cones and three old and crooked blue plastic stumps on his first day in Delhi. "Practice was an unforgettable experience, the first of many. "At the training ground the players left their gear on the bus and ambled over to the nets on the other side of the field where they lounged in cane chairs while the waiters served them tea and biscuits," he recalled. He refused to say anything on how new Team India manager Chndu Borde would cope with the current side. "There was Colonel Sharma who waved a handkerchief every time we got a wicket and considered himself a yoga expert, so much so that we once had to let him take the warm-up. "There was a gentleman who handed out the meal allowance in the dark so that it was hard to count, and another who nicked the players' official shirts." He asserts the senior players will help ease out the pressure on the team playing without a coach. "A deep breath, and the recognition that they have no coach, might be good for them in the short term," he said, adding, "They have an experienced batting line-up and the onus will be on them to plan and perform." Expressing optimism about India's chances in the series, he said: "Always the key for India is their belief that they can win away from India. When they are overseas they don't get enough runs. I think if they get their batting right and their big players perform they will be very competitive."

He asserts the senior players will help ease out the pressure on the team playing without a coach. "A deep breath, and the recognition that they have no coach, might be good for them in the short term," he said, adding, "They have an experienced batting line-up and the onus will be on them to plan and perform."
Sriram, are you hearing? This is exactly what I was saying. It won't harm not to have a coach in the short term for India.
"I once turned up to Kanpur and saw a 14-year-old leg-spinner and an off-spinner troubling VVS Laxman in the nets. They were as good as anyone I had ever seen at that age. You just don't see talent like that. A year later no one could tell me where they had gone, only that it was 'difficult'.
This is exactly what happens to talent in India. In Australia, the same players would have been groomed and trained properly.
Sriram, are you hearing? This is exactly what I was saying. It won't harm not to have a coach in the short term for India.
Short term I agree Ravi. But its going to be very difficult for the seniors to bear the burden of guiding the team over prolonged periods of time. We do need a full time coach then.

why is wright stating the obvious?? i still remember, as a rookie reporter, i was covering what turned out to be VVSL's first ever triple. the then haraami secretary (Lele) was on the ground--hoping VVSL would fail--kept saying kya bakwaas khel raha hai. bhankas bowling hai--main bhi chaar sau run banaa sakta. i walked up and told him--why dont u take guard and get in when next wkt falls?? dude called security on me. rest of the match i saw from the regular stands... not from the press box. two yrs down the line, VVSL hits the legendary 281. BCCI, RIP, biyatches.

^^ a decade or so later, lele is replaced by a shah, who tells eager reporters (who heard before he did about Ford being approached): "who is this Ford? next, you will ask me about toyota and honda, hahahahahaha." :whatchutalkingabout