Jaffer or Gambhir ?

Gambhir did well with a 81, in the first innings of the game against Sussex. Jaffer however is the only top order to have failed in all 3 chances he's got. He has historically been a slow starter. Three failures from him, while everyone has got runs in an innings or two, makes his position in the side questionable. But methinks, Jaffer will get to play the first test no matter what, as his performance in the first test will dictate his future in the tour. Yuvraj unfortunately will have to sit out, as it will be unfair to expect Karthik to don the gloves as well as open the batting. Our middle order gives me confidence after a long long time.

Sehwag just lacked in confidence more than form. This tour would have been ideal to get him back to his winning ways. He should have been atleast retained in the squad ahead of Gambhir. Am sure Veeru will be back the next time the selectors sit together to pick a test squad.

Dhondy you qualify to be an Indian selector - pick on hype not performance. Your obsession with Sehwag is getting similar to that of Rohan's for Laxman (and the posts sound similar too - they just state bring x back no rhyme or reason)

Let's discuss Sehwag's record, shall we, novpj? If failure in four Tests is all it takes, then neither Yuvi, nor Dravid should be in this squad. You lot have the memory of a chap with advanced dementia who was cracked on the head by an oversized baseball bat. Can't remember beyond what happened at breakfast. Here is a chap with an average of 50 and a SR of 73 sitting out, while the rest of the world continues to support underperforming stars like Smith, De Villiers and Strauss with gratifying results. You lot deserve your Gambirs and Jaffers, I must say.

Dhondy.. you gotto be honest here.. its not for want of record that Sehwag was dropped.. At a point last season , that guy couldnt put bat to ball ! Your refuge with numbers might sell the argument to people who are looking for stats , but surely , those of us who watched him play over the last 8-10 months know that this guy isnt in his best frame of mind. And i might add , the only worthwhile innings i remember him playing in the last one year is his century against Bermuda. Sehwag deserved to be dropped. He wouldnt even have gone to the world cup , but for Dravid's insistence.

Dhondy.. you gotto be honest here.. its not for want of record that Sehwag was dropped.. At a point last season , that guy couldnt put bat to ball ! Your refuge with numbers might sell the argument to people who are looking for stats , but surely , those of us who watched him play over the last 8-10 months know that this guy isnt in his best frame of mind.
Beating up BD or WI is easy bandhu (TM: dadarocks). It is when u play bigger opponents the diff between the cream & the cr@p will surface.
Beating up BD or WI is easy bandhu (TM: dadarocks). It is when u play bigger opponents the diff between the cream & the cr@p will surface.
So what do you suggest we do ? Sehwag was dropped since he looked totally out-of-form for 12 months. In comes Karthik, scores a century. So does Jaffer, that too in the same innings. Now , we drop one of them and bring in Sehwag ? Sehwag should be and will be back. He and pathan are too good a player(s) to miss out for too long. But , they dont deserve a place in this team. They must realize that being supremely talented alone wont get them anywhere. Let him do the hours in the nets , straighten his thinking out. Then , we shall all welcome with open hands !
He is absolutely fine mentally. Just out of form. .
I quite cant believe you said that. It was SO obvious that every time he walked on to the crease to start his innings , there was some mental baggage. There was so much uncertainty in his shots. Just compare some of his best hundreds and the hundred agaisnt Bermuda and you will know what i am speaking about. There was even this news report about how a sports psychologist thoughts Sehwag's problem is more mental than anything else.
What has Kartick done exactly' date=' Sriram?[/quote'] These are his last 2 test innings. 56 , 128 ! Yea, there were agaisnt Bangladesh. But beyond all , this guy has shown the guts to fight. He has stood up to the challenge so many times when India needed a contribution from him. He has shown mental discipline and a willingness to do it the hard way. Not the airy-fairy methods of Sehwag. I thought you must love karthik to bits, since you stress so much on mental toughness and people putting up a fight.
So what do you suggest we do ? Sehwag was dropped since he looked totally out-of-form for 12 months. In comes Karthik, scores a century. So does Jaffer, that too in the same innings. Now , we drop one of them and bring in Sehwag ? Sehwag should be and will be back. He and pathan are too good a player(s) to miss out for too long. But , they dont deserve a place in this team. They must realize that being supremely talented alone wont get them anywhere. Let him do the hours in the nets , straighten his thinking out. Then , we shall all welcome with open hands !
Sehwag should have been in the squad ahead of Gambhir. What did Gambhir do to be picked ahead of Veeru in a test squad ? If u use the same argument (that u used against Sehwag), Tendulkar should have been the first one to be dropped from the test squad (and long ago). U dont leave your proven stars on big overseas tours. When was the last time a rookie delivered on the big stage overseas ? (Funnily enuff, it was Sehwag himself who did so).

I like his attitude. However, I think he is being made a sacrificial lamb against England's new ball attack. He's a plucky little character who bats well down the order, and that's where he belongs. They are trying to manufacture an opener out of him, and it ain't going to work against this class of opposition, I'll tell you now.

Sehwag should have been in the squad ahead of Gambhir. What did Gambhir do to be picked ahead of Veeru in a test squad ? If u use the same argument (that u used against Sehwag), Tendulkar should have been the first one to be dropped from the test squad (and long ago). U dont leave your proven stars on big overseas tours. When was the last time a rookie delivered on the big stage overseas ? (Funnily enuff, it was Sehwag himself who did so).
Even i quite cant understand why Gambhir was picked ahead of Sehwag. I understand what you say by not dropping proven stars for foreign tours ? But the team had no choice. How long could they shoulder the burden of an under-performing opener. And please dont compare Sachin and Sehwag. Sehwag in his last 35 internationel innings , has passed JUST 4 times. Sachin has never gone through such a pathetic patch. He will do better than that with a baseball bat.