Sign in to follow this  
speed_demon

For how Long can MSD be the captain due to the TINA factor?

New Delhi: India failed to get its act together and were beaten fair and square on the England tour. Injuries played a part but it won't be wrong to admit that players were overworked by choice and not by chance. But MS Dhoni's reactions point towards a skipper who refuses to admit that they were a distant second on a no-contest tour. The latest of India's string of disappointments came in the fourth ODI at Lord's, which ended in a tie after rain interruptions in the dying stages of England's chase. But Dhoni, for some reason, saw the "ugly side of cricket". dhoni1807-630.jpg "We just saw the ugly side of cricket. Whichever team has the upper hand, doesn't want to play," said a clearly peeved 'Captain Cool'. India also failed to defend a target in the third ODI, even after rain made it stiffer for the hosts. Dhoni still said "we are not down and out." "The first 10 overs were crucial. We gave away too many runs. Otherwise the spinners would have had a few more runs to play with," said Dhoni. "The boys are still very excited. Whenever they turn up they want to give 100 per cent, so when it comes to the motivational factor, we are not down and out. It's not like we didn't try. An uninspiring body language throughout the 4-0 whitewash in the Test series didn't go unnoticed by fans and experts alike, but Dhoni's stubbornness didn't allow him to admit it after the bowlers failed to defend a stiff target of 187 in 23 overs in the second ODI. "We're not just going through the motions, but nothing has really worked for us," he added. India were way of the mark in the Test series. Yes, injuries took their toll right from the first day of the tour in Lord's but still saying that "we tried our best" smells of obstinacy. "We tried our best and that's what is important," said Dhoni. Dhoni also said that they didn't get time to prepare, indicating the chockablock scheduling. But shouldn't players also be held responsible when they opt to play the IPL just five days after a gruelling World Cup at the cost of West Indies tour? "There was no complacency, but we didn't get much time before the series started," said the Indian skipper. The bowling wasn't working, more so in the absence of Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh. The situation called for playing five bowlers as the English batsmen were scoring runs at a canter, but the Indian skipper refused it outrightly. "In the last two years, we haven't played with five bowlers. I don't see it happening now. We don't want to play with a batter light." India knew Zaheer was up against it when it came to recovering from his injury, but still considerable amount of time was lost hoping for his recovery, which delayed reinforcements. But Dhoni doesn't rue that even. "When it concerns people like Zaheer and Sehwag, you wait for them so they are available for selection, for you know what difference they can make." And when it was asked if the players are getting injured because of being overworked, Dhoni refused to admit players' mistake of playing in the IPL and instead put the blame on a nonexistent rotation policy. "We will have to rotate. It's important that players get rest. Raina has been participating in all formats. It's more to do with the mental rather than the physical aspect. Good rest helps you keep the injuries away." What remains to be seen now is how the BCCI reacts to Dhoni's first failure as captain once the team returns home.

India LOST all Tests and All one days too..........4-0 in tests and 4-0 in one days and 1-0 in T20... CLEAN SWEEP......... Many mistakes committed by Dhoni in this series..... First test he played an unfit Zaheer Khan....... He never Picked the best left arm spinner in the team Pragyam Ojha...who is a class act. Amit mishra was never Supported well and Bhajji was supported so much that even when he was failing miserably Ravi Ashwin or Ojha was not played. His fielding placing was also very un supportive of fast bowlers..even in tests.ishant and Sreesanth got one slip most of the time and the slip fielder dravid failed or dropped buckets of catches. I feel dhoni does not manage fast bowlers well, its a well known fact that dhoni and sreesanth are at logger head,,,ishant did well in WI under gambhir.... Ishant fAiled under dhoni... Selectors Please Sack Dhoni as Captain and give final warning to flether else if they don't do this australia will beat us badly again, we need a fresh captain and a captain who backs fast bowlers as in australia spinners wiLl not win u matches. Sack dhoni the captain.

I feel dhoni does not manage fast bowlers well, its a well known fact that dhoni and sreesanth are at logger head,,,ishant did well in WI under gambhir.... Ishant fAiled under dhoni...
Gambhir never travelled to WI. Ishant took 22 wickets in 3 tests in WI under Dhoni. Rant FAIL.

India LOST all Tests and All one days too..........4-0 in tests and 4-0 in one days and 1-0 in T20... CLEAN SWEEP......... Many mistakes committed by Dhoni in this series..... First test he played an unfit Zaheer Khan....... He never Picked the best left arm spinner in the team Pragyam Ojha...who is a class act. Amit mishra was never Supported well and Bhajji was supported so much that even when he was failing miserably Ravi Ashwin or Ojha was not played. His fielding placing was also very un supportive of fast bowlers..even in tests.ishant and Sreesanth got one slip most of the time and the slip fielder dravid failed or dropped buckets of catches. I feel dhoni does not manage fast bowlers well, its a well known fact that dhoni and sreesanth are at logger head,,,ishant did well in WI under gambhir.... Ishant fAiled under dhoni... Selectors Please Sack Dhoni as Captain and give final warning to flether else if they don't do this australia will beat us badly again, we need a fresh captain and a captain who backs fast bowlers as in australia spinners wiLl not win u matches. Sack dhoni the captain.
seems like even indian fans are losing it :giggle:

Guys understand the message instead of dissecting me....go behind dhoni. Dhoni supports PK Munna ( probably has made him slow) Balaji and others.... He needs to find genuine fast bowler.... A fast bowler has to be a fast strong Man first like Malcom marshal Garner Walsh Wasim Waqar waheeb Raiz DeNnis lilee Zaheer Khan even Srinath was damn Strong( I have seen him bowling at 145 K against africa when donald was against us....I am pretty sure that donald and srinath were at the same Pace... Select Strong Guys...Select fast bowlers who can continue to be fast rather then guys like unadkat.....do u know this mumbai pacer apart from agarkar, I m missing his name, bcos he is thin nobody is sure how he will bowl ..one day he bowls at 138K second day he bowls under 125K..that slim fast bowler like Agarkar. Agarkar was an exception who ws slim still strong n fast ...this other guy when he is in form he is better then Abu nachim but u can't say as abu nachim is stronger so sachin plays abu most often in his IPL team

I feel dhoni does not manage fast bowlers well, its a well known fact that dhoni and sreesanth are at logger head,,,ishant did well in WI under gambhir.... Ishant fAiled under dhoni... Selectors Please Sack Dhoni as Captain and give final warning to flether else if they don't do this australia will beat us badly again, we need a fresh captain and a captain who backs fast bowlers as in australia spinners wiLl not win u matches. Sack dhoni the captain.
Gambhir never travelled to WI. Ishant took 22 wickets in 3 tests in WI under Dhoni. Rant FAIL.
I meant Ishant performed well under Gambhir when he captained...
Ishant hasnt played a single game under Gambhir :cantstop:
:hysterical::hysterical: not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid-thumb.jpg

One more thing, we didn't lose 4-0 in the ODIs. Just pointing out, not saying we were good or anything...

India needs a new captain This personally is not a statement based on India's performance alone in England, there were too many factors that invariably plotted against India winning , specially in one-dayers,coming out of the Golden era India needs a stong leader with the goal to find the next generation of players a plotter , visionary , good coach and astute selectors.Duncan Fletcher does have the credentials, Dhoni reaped the benefits of having a great team , his contribution was a calm head, held the team together and due to Kirsten the planning , execution was excellent also his batting flourished in his favourite conditons. What Dhoni lacks is in planning for a year or two years from now, his selecting the playing eleven, over reliant on his bunch of players and buddies,there have been a few victims of his near sightedness, Irfan Pathan, Sudeeep Tyagi , Dinda, Gony, Tiwary,no hopers given a chance due to obscure logic, we need a left hander, swing bolwer bowling at 120 k, does it matter if you can seam , swing , at 118 k , cannot field .Team selection also has'nt been the best , if a player has a glaring weakness but is talented, he should be given a chance to make a comeback thru domestic and A team tours , not persisted with at the cost of Indian team, ala Raina and Vijay.You can see the same thing in his capatinship and selection for CSK, INDIAS BEST FUTURE PROSPECT DOES NOT GET ANY CONFIDENCE THRU dHONI , sUDEEP tYAGI.lIFE IS ABOUT EVOLVING , CHANGING PLANNING , NURTURINg SAME WITH CRICKET THATS WHY WE LOVE IT, ONE DIMENSIONAL CAPTAIN HAS SEEN HIS HEYDAYS,he is not even good enough in batting away from India as it shows thru his lack of technique,selection's were illogical as well,Unadkat, Mithun , RP,ANIRUDH. Players cannot be only judged thru their averages as far as domestic cricket , players with the spark , talent , bowlers with aggro pace, spinners that can be mavericks, that is what England did during Fletchers being at the helm , I hope that is replicated during his stay in India.We need ex players like Ganguly, Waseem , Vegsarakar, More, Shastri , to plot and lead India team towards the future.India to have a system that recognizes and realizes that talent has to be recognized early and given a channce , some times at the expense of playing it safe, this is also what the Aussies recognized , the Pakis do and England started few years back, we need stronger selectors and coach,also where we lack majorly is support for our main bowlers, we need to build our reserve , batting still has enough backup , we lack in bowling , spinners, we need to identify , target , nurture , groom , take risk's

atm I can see Dhoni is not having any vision for long term , but selecting a new young captain and then expecting him to groom players and build a team for future can be disastrous. So it's time to give him support. He can still lead us for 4 years. After zak's departure struggle was on the cards so it will take time for us find good bowlers.

atm I can see Dhoni is not having any vision for long term ' date=' but selecting a new young captain and then expecting him to groom players and build a team for future can be disastrous. So it's time to give him support. He can still lead us for 4 years. After zak's departure struggle was on the cards so it will take time for us find good bowlers.[/quote'] I feel Gambhir is ripe to take on that role, a big thumbs up from Sehwag one guys I feel plays big time for the team not his average.Gambhir plays all three form , as good abroad as home, takes the fight to the opposition , also might have more faith on THE YOUNGER GENERATION ,Dhoni is short of ideas not willing to take risks also will not be suitable as a mentor , he can't look past Bhajji, rp, vinay kumar, munaf patel,his choices are baffling.Yes he is the World cup winning captain , his match winning knock won us the final,he inherited the best battiing lineup in the world.

I feel Gambhir is ripe to take on that role' date=' a big thumbs up from Sehwag one guys I feel plays big time for the team not his average.Gambhir plays all three form , as good abroad as home, takes the fight to the opposition , also might have more faith on THE YOUNGER GENERATION ,Dhoni is short of ideas not willing to take risks also will not be suitable as a mentor , he can't look past Bhajji, rp, vinay kumar, munaf patel,his choices are baffling.Yes he is the World cup winning captain , his match winning knock won us the final,he inherited the best battiing lineup in the world.[/quote'] respect for your opinion , but I'll take an experienced captain for rebuilding task. We can't expect everything to go flawless , specially identifying and establishing new players. Gambhir's energy can be good for the team but at the same time his arrogance and aggression can be bad for newbies. I am not ruling out Gambhir completely , but at least till Australia tour , Dhoni should be there as a captain.

There's no one to replace Dhoni. He's the best bet. I just hope that he gives chance to promising players. Then he'll always be known as a captain who helped in building the next gen Team India. He badly needs rest otherwise it'll affect his fitness.

I think this is a case of excessive (and unreasonable) expectations from some fans which is resulting in calls (from those same fools) for Dhoni to be sacked. Over the last few months he has won so many series' and tournaments in all forms pf the game that some fans expect him to win every single series which is simply not possible. This is a game - you win some and you lose some and people need to understand this before shouting for the Captain to be sacked because of one bad tour.

I think this is a case of excessive (and unreasonable) expectations from some fans which is resulting in calls (from those same fools) for Dhoni to be sacked. Over the last few months he has won so many series' and tournaments in all forms pf the game that some fans expect him to win every single series which is simply not possible. This is a game - you win some and you lose some and people need to understand this before shouting for the Captain to be sacked because of one bad tour.
Agreed. We as fans..expected a lot from the Indian team...& we were let down big time. Dhoni suffered the most...since his team mates got injured like every match. Its not his falt...that some of the players were unfit. But Dhoni also needs to change his style a bit...especially with his trust in players who are way over their best....eg Harbhajan....whom Dhoni always select...not to mention he always like RP...even when he is useless. Also I dont like how Dhoni sometimes gets defensive or reactive in the field. The best asset that Dhoni has is his calmness when the going is tough. But I will like to see him take some rest...he is playing non-stop in all formats for a long time. Hopefully in the upcoming Ind-Eng ODI series...the BCCI rest hims & let Patel do the keeping job.

Gambhir is India captaincy material: Akram NEW DELHI: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram feels that opening batsman Gautam Gambhir's leadership skills are at par with those of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and he has it in him to be future India skipper. Akram, who has played under the likes of legendary Imran Khan, was impressed with the way Gambhir led Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL. "Look, I have worked with Gautam Gambhir as the bowling coach of Kolkata Knight Riders and I have no qualms in saying that Gambhir is a world class cricketer, a fighter and very committed individual. I think he is at par with Mahendra Singh Dhoni when it comes to leadership and man-management," Akram said. KKR on Wednesday qualified for the Champions League Twenty20 main tournament for the first time even after losing their qualifying round match to Somerset. Akram, who has captained Pakistan in 25 Tests and 109 ODIs, said Gambhir has almost recovered from his head injury he sustained during India's disastrous tour of England and could soon be playing. "Gambhir is a strong boy but concussion after the head injury took a toll on him. I have learnt that his condition was very bad when he returned home midway from the England tour. Apparently, he threw up around 3-4 times even while on flight from London to Delhi," Akram said. Gambhir suffered a head injury during the Oval Test in London while trying to take a high catch off Kevin Pietersen's bat. Apart from missing the lone Twenty20 International and the ODI series against England, he also could not play the two qualifying matches for Kolkata Knight Riders in the Champions League Twenty20. Akram is against India having different captains for different formats of the game. "I don't think that is the way to go about things. In my opinion multi-captaincy can confuse the players of a team as different leaders have different styles of leading," he said. The former left-arm paceman said that India would still be a formidable side even after the debacle in England, once the injured players recover. "Yes, they will have to plan well for Australia and I hope they would have learnt their lessons after what happened in England. Apart from that I think once the injured players attain full fitness it would be difficult to beat India on their home turf," said Akram in reference to India's upcoming home series against England and the West Indies. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Gambhir-is-India-captaincy-material-Akram/articleshow/10080783.cms

Gambhir is almost 30, similar to Dhoni's age. Unless Dhoni continues the disastrous show which we had in England (unlikely) Gambhir doesn't have a realistic chance to lead the side for long time. Somone from Raina, Kohli or anyone in the young brigade will have to take it forward from Dhoni.

Somone from Raina, Kohli or anyone in the young brigade will have to take it forward from Dhoni.
First these guys need to average 40 in tests over a couple of years minimum and make themselves an automatic pick for the team. Gambhir is perfect for the next 3-4 years.

First these guys need to average 40 in tests over a couple of years minimum and make themselves an automatic pick for the team. Gambhir is perfect for the next 3-4 years.
Well not unless Dhoni is dropped or team continues to perform real bad.

hmmm...agreed...we win some and loose some but the way we lost is disheartening. Decisions like playing vinay kumar ahead of varun and bringing back RPS was just pathetic. Why can'r new guys get chances. If it was any captain other than Dhoni, they would have played varun....

India Needs Aggressive Captaincy, Says Sourav Ganguly

London, Sep 14: Former Team India skipper Sourav Ganguly feels Dhoni's men need to regroup quickly to give England a taste of their own medicine in the home series. In an interview to Times of India, Ganguly said: "India didn't bat well in the Tests. We started off on a bad note by losing the opening match. After the Test whitewash, it was difficult to come back in the ODIs. England did play better cricket, but their real test will come in the subcontinent. However, I wouldn't like to take away credit for their performance at home." "I've always believed that a captain is as good as his team. You can't blame the captain if some of the top players are out with injury. Look what happened to Australia when some of their top players dropped out. Before that, Ricky Ponting was considered the best captain in the world, when the Australians were ruling the roost with top bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne. " Asked which young Indian player has impressed him the most, Ganguly replied: "Ajinkya Rahane, to some extent. But even he failed to make full use of the initial starts he got. The Indian team looked ordinary. Basically, they must learn to live without Zaheer. " Asked whether India lacked an aggressive captain, Ganguly said: "I captained the side a long time ago. A lot of changes have taken place since then. This is a different era, a different phase, but the team is still focussed on winning matches. Any team that can win matches in Australia, South Africa and England has to be good. " Asked about coach Duncan Fletcher's performance, Ganguly said: "It's early days yet for him. One can't comment on his performance just yet. Give him some time. I'm sure he'll do well. " Asked whether England can overtake India in ODIs, Ganguly replied: "England are not the best ODI team. India have lost badly to them but their stars will rise again. Fitness is a key issue with this team and I'm sure the BCCI is going to address the issue. We also need good bowlers in all forms of the game to be consistent at the highest level. The selectors should have the eye for new talent. " When it was pointed out that his contemporaries like Dravid and Tendulkar were still playing, Ganguly treplied: "I'm 39. How long could I continue playing? I had my fill and am happily retired from international cricket. " Asked whether he would continue playing in IPL, he said: "Yes. The passion to play is still there. IPL is a domestic league and I still have a couple of years of cricket left in me. Next year, I'll be ready for the tournament and will also play domestic cricket to get in shape before that. "

The day Dhoni is not the captain of India, all the mediocre players in the team will not be supported, Raina out in tests, RP, Kumars, Some like DADA or Gambhir would be an ideal choice to find the next generation players before our fab 4 retires, also makes sense what Kapil says, on minor tours only play 2 seniors in each tests, let pujara, rahane, sharma, kohli get a chance, find who among Varun , Sudeep, Umesh , Pawana Suyal, rAHUL SHUKLA, vRV, CAN STAKE A CLAIM FOR BOWLING SLOT WHICH NEEDS MAJOR REBUILDING.SEE HOW FAST THE FORTUNES OF LANKANS HAVE CHANGED, DHONI AND THE PRESENT SELECTORS ARE DUMMIES.

"I've always believed that a captain is as good as his team. You can't blame the captain if some of the top players are out with injury. Look what happened to Australia when some of their top players dropped out. Before that, Ricky Ponting was considered the best captain in the world, when the Australians were ruling the roost with top bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne. "
Glad Ganguly agrees with me. I've always said this. Dhoni is not a good captain. He just has good players at his disposal. Look at how he did in England. A "good captain" would atleast win 1 out of 10 odd games. Dhoni couldn't do that. Ganguly pretty much developed the current crop and all Dhoni is doing is feasting coz the current crop has peaked in sync with Dhoni's captaincy.

Dhoni the greatest Indian captain - Ganguly

Glad Ganguly agrees with me. I've always said this. Dhoni is not a good captain. He just has good players at his disposal. Look at how he did in England. A "good captain" would atleast win 1 out of 10 odd games. Dhoni couldn't do that. Ganguly pretty much developed the current crop and all Dhoni is doing is feasting coz the current crop has peaked in sync with Dhoni's captaincy.
I am sorry but you missed the point. Here's another Ganguly for you :
Sourav Ganguly, who led India to the final of the 2003 World Cup, has called MS Dhoni the greatest Indian captain. Dhoni led India to victory in the 2011 World Cup, with a crucial unbeaten 91 in the final against Sri Lanka and Ganguly said Dhoni's leadership record in each of the game's three formats spoke for itself. "There can't be any doubt about it," Ganguly told Mid-Day. "Dhoni is the greatest captain of our country. His record is proof of that. Under Dhoni, India have won the Twenty20 World Cup and the Asia Cup. Under him, India have become the No. 1 ranked side in Test cricket. And now, we have won the World Cup. Obviously, he is the greatest ever captain to lead India." Ganguly's pronouncement came a day after Sachin Tendulkar rated Dhoni as the best captain he had played under. Dhoni made his international debut under Ganguly, before becoming a key player under Rahul Dravid's captaincy. Eventually, Dhoni took over the reins of the side and Ganguly even played under him in the closing stages of his international career. Ganguly said he was sure India would win the tournament once they got past their 2003 nemesis, Australia. "When they beat Australia in the quarter-finals, I knew India would win the World Cup," Ganguly said. "A lot of people thought Sri Lanka would win, but I was confident."
Ian Chappell : Dhoni's among the great modern captains Source : http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/510271.html
Unlike their predecessors as the No. 1-ranked team, West Indies and Australia, India do not have a dominant bowling attack. Considering bowlers win matches, this makes Dhoni's captaincy performance even more meritorious. In that regard he's emulated Ranatunga in conjuring up a World Cup victory with a moderate attack. As there's no indication India are on the verge of unearthing a couple of world-class bowlers, and three of their best Test batsmen are closer to retirement than to the pinnacle of their careers, Dhoni has a serious challenge on his hands to keep India at the top of the rankings in the longer game
. There were a couple of things MS Dhoni could've done differently on the Indian tour but by and large it hardly would have affected the results.

^ Humility. We both know that Dhoni did countless things wrong on the tour of England. So lets agree to disagree. PS - Ian's article is dated 10th April 2011. Just saying.
#JustSaying No reason either for Chappell or Ganguly to be humble. They call an ace, an ace and a jackass, a jackass I agree on the highlighted but hindsight is a magic wand. Regarding the article's date, a captain doesn't go on from great to mediocre in 4 months. Also, Ian mentioned a few points 4 months back which came to bit India in the ass during the English tour. It's always good to listen to wise men.

#JustSaying No reason either for Chappell or Ganguly to be humble. They call an ace' date= an ace and a jackass, a jackass
Which means I will not see your presence in a thread criticizing Chappell, who may I add quickly, suggested Tendlya to retire not so long ago. :smile:
I agree on the highlighted but hindsight is a magic wand. Regarding the article's date, a captain doesn't go on from great to mediocre in 4 months. Also, Ian mentioned a few points 4 months back which came to bit India in the ass during the English tour. It's always good to listen to wise men.
Wise men, ex-cricketers commented a lot of Dhoni's tactics in England. Wasn't there a day of the test when around 50-60 runs were scored in the 3rd man region and Dhoni didn't even put a fielder there despite the area being milked for runs by the English batters? Then, he rooted for an RP who was in Canada to join the team, instead of a senior Sreesanth who was there in England for a month, acclimatised and was in better shape than RP. He also, for some strange reason, kept Aaron confined to the dressing room, while Munaf and RP continued to be played around by the English. A strange thing was that Yusuf Pathan, wasn't even considered as one among 4 replacements in the ODI series. Who can forget the great Vinay Kumar, who was literally allowed to walk into the team, as was RP Singh? How about Raina in Tests? Training Ravindra Jadeja for a year, telling barely a few months before the World Cup that he had his confidence, then dropping him and then conveniently picking him back. How can we forget the abdullah deewana in his shaadi - Piyush Chawla. How did he get into the World Cup team over Rav Jadeja, who had been in the team for almost a year and in Dhoni's words, "trained" for the cup? And constantly ignoring Ojha, Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik for whatever good reason the team management has. Dhoni is a very whimsical captain.

Which means I will not see your presence in a thread criticizing Chappell, who may I add quickly, suggested Tendlya to retire not so long ago. :smile: .
Lets be fair here. Tendulkar wasn't doing the best then. Wise men, ex-cricketers commented a lot of Dhoni's tactics in England.
Wasn't there a day of the test when around 50-60 runs were scored in the 3rd man region and Dhoni didn't even put a fielder there despite the area being milked for runs by the English batters?
And I believe the wise men commented on "modern day captains" and didn't target MS Dhoni in particular.
Then, he rooted for an RP who was in Canada to join the team, instead of a senior Sreesanth who was there in England for a month, acclimatised and was in better shape than RP.
Rooting for RP Singh was a mistake but one must be honest enough to think that Sreesanth would have done some magic. We all know how erratic Sreesanth is in ODIs. I fail to remember the last time he has had a great impact in this form of the game.
He also, for some strange reason, kept Aaron confined to the dressing room, while Munaf and RP continued to be played around by the English.
Varun Aaron is a 11-match wonder. Lets keep him at that. Remember Jaidev Unadkat?
A strange thing was that Yusuf Pathan, wasn't even considered as one among 4 replacements in the ODI series.
Probably a mistake but I guess MS Dhoni doesn't select players he can only recommend. We have no idea what may have happened behind doors. Lets not speculate.
Who can forget the great Vinay Kumar, who was literally allowed to walk into the team, as was RP Singh? And who would they be replaced by? How about Raina in Tests?
With the current injuries, even Ganguly could've walked into the team.
Training Ravindra Jadeja for a year, telling barely a few months before the World Cup that he had his confidence, then dropping him and then conveniently picking him back.
Speculation once again.
How can we forget the abdullah deewana in his shaadi - Piyush Chawla. How did he get into the World Cup team over Rav Jadeja, who had been in the team for almost a year and in Dhoni's words, "trained" for the cup?
I agree with your take on Piyush Chawla. You should really check out your facts about Jadeja. On one hand you want Yusuf Pathan on the other hand you want Jadeja.
And constantly ignoring Ojha, Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik for whatever good reason the team management has.
Against Harbhajan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina? A team can just have so many members.
Dhoni is a very whimsical captain.
Whimsicality lies in the eyes of the beholder. ;-)

Lets be fair here. Tendulkar wasn't doing the best then. Wise men, ex-cricketers commented a lot of Dhoni's tactics in England. And I believe the wise men commented on "modern day captains" and didn't target MS Dhoni in particular.
So its fine to conveniently listen to wise men when they are talking good about Dhoni and then it is fine to conveniently ignore them when they aren't talking something we agree with?
Rooting for RP Singh was a mistake but one must be honest enough to think that Sreesanth would have done some magic. We all know how erratic Sreesanth is in ODIs. I fail to remember the last time he has had a great impact in this form of the game.
I fail to remember the last time RP Singh had a great impact in any form of the game.
Varun Aaron is a 11-match wonder. Lets keep him at that. Remember Jaidev Unadkat?
Aaron came off a fantastic EPT. Weak argument from you here.
Probably a mistake but I guess MS Dhoni doesn't select players he can only recommend. We have no idea what may have happened behind doors. Lets not speculate.
Dhoni once offered to resign from captaincy if he didn't have RP Singh for a particular series.
With the current injuries' date=' even Ganguly could've walked into the team. [/quote'] If Ganguly could have, why not Aaron? You seem to be good looking for stuff on cricinfo. Why don't you look it up there and share it with us. It details Dhoni's roadmap for the World Cup and he shows full faith and confidence in Ravi making it to the squad. Eh? As far as my facts on Jadeja go, point out which fact goes in Ashwin's favour? The fact that he plays for you know who?

So its fine to conveniently listen to wise men when they are talking good about Dhoni and then it is fine to conveniently ignore them when they aren't talking something we agree with?
No mate, it is *always* good to listen to them irrespective of whom or regardless of the opinion I am talking about. Even in the Tendulkar case, he wasn't doing good back then. Probably Ian felt he was over but when he reinvented himself Ian was the first one to praise Sachin.
I fail to remember the last time RP Singh had a great impact in any form of the game.
The last time he really did well was in ICC T20WC and India tour of England 2007. He tapered off after that. As I said earlier too, picking RP Singh in the 11 was definitely an error of judgment on Dhoni's part IMHO. However, his selection for the tour should be directed to selectors.
Aaron came off a fantastic EPT. Weak argument from you here.
Unfortunately, that's not enough. With due respect to the EPT, people who succeed in FC are more likely to do so at the international level. Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman are examples.
Dhoni once offered to resign from captaincy if he didn't have RP Singh for a particular series.
In context mate, in context.
You seem to be good looking for stuff on cricinfo. Why don't you look it up there and share it with us. It details Dhoni's roadmap for the World Cup and he shows full faith and confidence in Ravi making it to the squad.
I am really bad at searching stuff on Cricinfo. Check out the games Jadeja played in the 8-10 months leading to the WC. You will get your answer.
Again, you've made a weak arguement. Ojha is not competing with Harbhajan. He is competing with Mishra in Tests and Ashwin in ODIs. As for Virat, if we talk about ODIs, he deserves his spot. But Raina in Tests??? Over KKD, Virat and Rohit Sharma? Like you said, anyone could've walked into the team.
Rohit Sharma in Tests? Virat will get his due. Raina is more experienced than Virat. Remember you are talking about the same Dhoni who *dropped* Raina for Pujara. I am not sure if there's any point in harping over selection issues by Dhoni. He has won the World Cup and there must be some thought process behind it. Also, selections would make no sense if the players don't perform. You have also chosen to ignore Dhoni's performance in Test matches. It was pathetic and the whole team's batting was. Credit where it's due and the boot where necessary. No point discussing selection issues because the same set of people arguing for certain players would argue against the very same players if things went wrong. As said earlier, hindsight is a magic wand.

His captaincy is once again looking great. Although Aaron wasn't given chance earlier, but we have to give credit to Dhoni for the way he used him. Despite the fact that he is a pacer, Dhoni used spinners in powerplay and brought Aaron only after powerplays for his spells.

Ganguly fans have little credibility when they talk about Dhoni , so would ignore them on this topic ..but for some one who said his captaincy was good today , yeah may be but it wasn't different in England either ..just that some times things don't work ... whole team looked disinterested in England ..infact I don't ever remember giving up on the team so early in the series ...you just knew we where going to lose that series no matter what... When the likes of vvs and Tendulkar play such irresponsible cricket , there isn't much a captain could do . Indian cricket has seen highs which we where never close to before , this team under Dhoni has given us more good days than bad ones ...he's the best thing to have happened to Indian cricket in recent years .