For how Long can MSD be the captain due to the TINA factor?

speed_demon

atm I can see Dhoni is not having any vision for long term , but selecting a new young captain and then expecting him to groom players and build a team for future can be disastrous. So it's time to give him support. He can still lead us for 4 years. After zak's departure struggle was on the cards so it will take time for us find good bowlers.

atm I can see Dhoni is not having any vision for long term ' date=' but selecting a new young captain and then expecting him to groom players and build a team for future can be disastrous. So it's time to give him support. He can still lead us for 4 years. After zak's departure struggle was on the cards so it will take time for us find good bowlers.[/quote'] I feel Gambhir is ripe to take on that role, a big thumbs up from Sehwag one guys I feel plays big time for the team not his average.Gambhir plays all three form , as good abroad as home, takes the fight to the opposition , also might have more faith on THE YOUNGER GENERATION ,Dhoni is short of ideas not willing to take risks also will not be suitable as a mentor , he can't look past Bhajji, rp, vinay kumar, munaf patel,his choices are baffling.Yes he is the World cup winning captain , his match winning knock won us the final,he inherited the best battiing lineup in the world.
I feel Gambhir is ripe to take on that role' date=' a big thumbs up from Sehwag one guys I feel plays big time for the team not his average.Gambhir plays all three form , as good abroad as home, takes the fight to the opposition , also might have more faith on THE YOUNGER GENERATION ,Dhoni is short of ideas not willing to take risks also will not be suitable as a mentor , he can't look past Bhajji, rp, vinay kumar, munaf patel,his choices are baffling.Yes he is the World cup winning captain , his match winning knock won us the final,he inherited the best battiing lineup in the world.[/quote'] respect for your opinion , but I'll take an experienced captain for rebuilding task. We can't expect everything to go flawless , specially identifying and establishing new players. Gambhir's energy can be good for the team but at the same time his arrogance and aggression can be bad for newbies. I am not ruling out Gambhir completely , but at least till Australia tour , Dhoni should be there as a captain.

I think this is a case of excessive (and unreasonable) expectations from some fans which is resulting in calls (from those same fools) for Dhoni to be sacked. Over the last few months he has won so many series' and tournaments in all forms pf the game that some fans expect him to win every single series which is simply not possible. This is a game - you win some and you lose some and people need to understand this before shouting for the Captain to be sacked because of one bad tour.

I think this is a case of excessive (and unreasonable) expectations from some fans which is resulting in calls (from those same fools) for Dhoni to be sacked. Over the last few months he has won so many series' and tournaments in all forms pf the game that some fans expect him to win every single series which is simply not possible. This is a game - you win some and you lose some and people need to understand this before shouting for the Captain to be sacked because of one bad tour.
Agreed. We as fans..expected a lot from the Indian team...& we were let down big time. Dhoni suffered the most...since his team mates got injured like every match. Its not his falt...that some of the players were unfit. But Dhoni also needs to change his style a bit...especially with his trust in players who are way over their best....eg Harbhajan....whom Dhoni always select...not to mention he always like RP...even when he is useless. Also I dont like how Dhoni sometimes gets defensive or reactive in the field. The best asset that Dhoni has is his calmness when the going is tough. But I will like to see him take some rest...he is playing non-stop in all formats for a long time. Hopefully in the upcoming Ind-Eng ODI series...the BCCI rest hims & let Patel do the keeping job.

Gambhir is India captaincy material: Akram NEW DELHI: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram feels that opening batsman Gautam Gambhir's leadership skills are at par with those of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and he has it in him to be future India skipper. Akram, who has played under the likes of legendary Imran Khan, was impressed with the way Gambhir led Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL. "Look, I have worked with Gautam Gambhir as the bowling coach of Kolkata Knight Riders and I have no qualms in saying that Gambhir is a world class cricketer, a fighter and very committed individual. I think he is at par with Mahendra Singh Dhoni when it comes to leadership and man-management," Akram said. KKR on Wednesday qualified for the Champions League Twenty20 main tournament for the first time even after losing their qualifying round match to Somerset. Akram, who has captained Pakistan in 25 Tests and 109 ODIs, said Gambhir has almost recovered from his head injury he sustained during India's disastrous tour of England and could soon be playing. "Gambhir is a strong boy but concussion after the head injury took a toll on him. I have learnt that his condition was very bad when he returned home midway from the England tour. Apparently, he threw up around 3-4 times even while on flight from London to Delhi," Akram said. Gambhir suffered a head injury during the Oval Test in London while trying to take a high catch off Kevin Pietersen's bat. Apart from missing the lone Twenty20 International and the ODI series against England, he also could not play the two qualifying matches for Kolkata Knight Riders in the Champions League Twenty20. Akram is against India having different captains for different formats of the game. "I don't think that is the way to go about things. In my opinion multi-captaincy can confuse the players of a team as different leaders have different styles of leading," he said. The former left-arm paceman said that India would still be a formidable side even after the debacle in England, once the injured players recover. "Yes, they will have to plan well for Australia and I hope they would have learnt their lessons after what happened in England. Apart from that I think once the injured players attain full fitness it would be difficult to beat India on their home turf," said Akram in reference to India's upcoming home series against England and the West Indies. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Gambhir-is-India-captaincy-material-Akram/articleshow/10080783.cms

India Needs Aggressive Captaincy, Says Sourav Ganguly

London, Sep 14: Former Team India skipper Sourav Ganguly feels Dhoni's men need to regroup quickly to give England a taste of their own medicine in the home series. In an interview to Times of India, Ganguly said: "India didn't bat well in the Tests. We started off on a bad note by losing the opening match. After the Test whitewash, it was difficult to come back in the ODIs. England did play better cricket, but their real test will come in the subcontinent. However, I wouldn't like to take away credit for their performance at home." "I've always believed that a captain is as good as his team. You can't blame the captain if some of the top players are out with injury. Look what happened to Australia when some of their top players dropped out. Before that, Ricky Ponting was considered the best captain in the world, when the Australians were ruling the roost with top bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne. " Asked which young Indian player has impressed him the most, Ganguly replied: "Ajinkya Rahane, to some extent. But even he failed to make full use of the initial starts he got. The Indian team looked ordinary. Basically, they must learn to live without Zaheer. " Asked whether India lacked an aggressive captain, Ganguly said: "I captained the side a long time ago. A lot of changes have taken place since then. This is a different era, a different phase, but the team is still focussed on winning matches. Any team that can win matches in Australia, South Africa and England has to be good. " Asked about coach Duncan Fletcher's performance, Ganguly said: "It's early days yet for him. One can't comment on his performance just yet. Give him some time. I'm sure he'll do well. " Asked whether England can overtake India in ODIs, Ganguly replied: "England are not the best ODI team. India have lost badly to them but their stars will rise again. Fitness is a key issue with this team and I'm sure the BCCI is going to address the issue. We also need good bowlers in all forms of the game to be consistent at the highest level. The selectors should have the eye for new talent. " When it was pointed out that his contemporaries like Dravid and Tendulkar were still playing, Ganguly treplied: "I'm 39. How long could I continue playing? I had my fill and am happily retired from international cricket. " Asked whether he would continue playing in IPL, he said: "Yes. The passion to play is still there. IPL is a domestic league and I still have a couple of years of cricket left in me. Next year, I'll be ready for the tournament and will also play domestic cricket to get in shape before that. "

The day Dhoni is not the captain of India, all the mediocre players in the team will not be supported, Raina out in tests, RP, Kumars, Some like DADA or Gambhir would be an ideal choice to find the next generation players before our fab 4 retires, also makes sense what Kapil says, on minor tours only play 2 seniors in each tests, let pujara, rahane, sharma, kohli get a chance, find who among Varun , Sudeep, Umesh , Pawana Suyal, rAHUL SHUKLA, vRV, CAN STAKE A CLAIM FOR BOWLING SLOT WHICH NEEDS MAJOR REBUILDING.SEE HOW FAST THE FORTUNES OF LANKANS HAVE CHANGED, DHONI AND THE PRESENT SELECTORS ARE DUMMIES.

"I've always believed that a captain is as good as his team. You can't blame the captain if some of the top players are out with injury. Look what happened to Australia when some of their top players dropped out. Before that, Ricky Ponting was considered the best captain in the world, when the Australians were ruling the roost with top bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne. "
Glad Ganguly agrees with me. I've always said this. Dhoni is not a good captain. He just has good players at his disposal. Look at how he did in England. A "good captain" would atleast win 1 out of 10 odd games. Dhoni couldn't do that. Ganguly pretty much developed the current crop and all Dhoni is doing is feasting coz the current crop has peaked in sync with Dhoni's captaincy.

Dhoni the greatest Indian captain - Ganguly

Glad Ganguly agrees with me. I've always said this. Dhoni is not a good captain. He just has good players at his disposal. Look at how he did in England. A "good captain" would atleast win 1 out of 10 odd games. Dhoni couldn't do that. Ganguly pretty much developed the current crop and all Dhoni is doing is feasting coz the current crop has peaked in sync with Dhoni's captaincy.
I am sorry but you missed the point. Here's another Ganguly for you :
Sourav Ganguly, who led India to the final of the 2003 World Cup, has called MS Dhoni the greatest Indian captain. Dhoni led India to victory in the 2011 World Cup, with a crucial unbeaten 91 in the final against Sri Lanka and Ganguly said Dhoni's leadership record in each of the game's three formats spoke for itself. "There can't be any doubt about it," Ganguly told Mid-Day. "Dhoni is the greatest captain of our country. His record is proof of that. Under Dhoni, India have won the Twenty20 World Cup and the Asia Cup. Under him, India have become the No. 1 ranked side in Test cricket. And now, we have won the World Cup. Obviously, he is the greatest ever captain to lead India." Ganguly's pronouncement came a day after Sachin Tendulkar rated Dhoni as the best captain he had played under. Dhoni made his international debut under Ganguly, before becoming a key player under Rahul Dravid's captaincy. Eventually, Dhoni took over the reins of the side and Ganguly even played under him in the closing stages of his international career. Ganguly said he was sure India would win the tournament once they got past their 2003 nemesis, Australia. "When they beat Australia in the quarter-finals, I knew India would win the World Cup," Ganguly said. "A lot of people thought Sri Lanka would win, but I was confident."
Ian Chappell : Dhoni's among the great modern captains Source : http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/510271.html
Unlike their predecessors as the No. 1-ranked team, West Indies and Australia, India do not have a dominant bowling attack. Considering bowlers win matches, this makes Dhoni's captaincy performance even more meritorious. In that regard he's emulated Ranatunga in conjuring up a World Cup victory with a moderate attack. As there's no indication India are on the verge of unearthing a couple of world-class bowlers, and three of their best Test batsmen are closer to retirement than to the pinnacle of their careers, Dhoni has a serious challenge on his hands to keep India at the top of the rankings in the longer game
. There were a couple of things MS Dhoni could've done differently on the Indian tour but by and large it hardly would have affected the results.