Today - India At Olympics 2012

Cricketics

News reports say that the Indian Tennis Federation will send only 1 team (i.e. Paes/Bhupati) for Olympics. I don't think it would be a very wise move because obviously these 2 do not want to play together.
This Leander/Mahesh spat is getting ugly isn't it. However its a good move, and not surprisingly its from the AITA, one of the more competent sport governing bodies in the country. Paes is our best doubles player and needed to pair up with another decent player for us to have a decent chance in London. So it had to be from either Bhupati or Bopanna. I don't think much of Bopanna, and anyway Bhupati needs to pair up with Sania in the mixed so he needed to be chosen. Now we are medal contenders in both the men's doubles as well as the mixed doubles.

Lot of ugly fights going on. Everyone mentioning Bopanna. Yes, he is one of our best on Grass court, but Bopanna hasn't done anything in majors to prove. that he is going to bring Medal for us. He has been paired in mixed doubles with world no.1 Lisa Raymond too and hasn't really done anything great with her in majors. Leander-Bhupathi, with all the differences still remain our best pair.

But Bhupathi dared the AITA to ban him, calling Paes a 'back-stabber' - a reference to the latter's decision to split at the end of last season. It's clear that personal egos and group loyalties may already have compromised India's chances of winning a coveted Olympic medal.
http://www.indiatimes.com/tennis/paes-is-a-backstabber-27999.html

This Leander/Mahesh spat is getting ugly isn't it. However its a good move, and not surprisingly its from the AITA, one of the more competent sport governing bodies in the country. Paes is our best doubles player and needed to pair up with another decent player for us to have a decent chance in London. So it had to be from either Bhupati or Bopanna. I don't think much of Bopanna, and anyway Bhupati needs to pair up with Sania in the mixed so he needed to be chosen. Now we are medal contenders in both the men's doubles as well as the mixed doubles.
Its not a good move , when both of them can't get along well with eachothher .How do you expect them to play together .AITA knew about it still they choose them :facepalm:

Its not a good move ' date=' when both of them can't get along well with eachothher .How do you expect them to play together .AITA knew about it still they choose them :facepalm:[/quote'] Its a good move because they are the two best players in India. Bhupathi may want to play alongside his mother, doesn't necessarily mean AITA will concede. I doubt India will win any medals in tennis, no point letting these guys getting too big for their own shoes while representing India. Any anyway, this is the best combination possible. It allows Bhupathi to play in the Olympics thus letting him pair with Sania for the mixed, if of course Sania gets a wild card.

Can't wait. I think Deepika and co will start their individuals qualifying round today. Btw, there's so much hype around this olympics in the media and in our political circles. Its unbelievable. The Haryana government has announced cash awards worth crores to medal winners from the state, both in the olympics as well as the parlympics (which is a great gesture imo). The sports minister (Maken) has announced coaching jobs for medal winners. Sahara group will offer 5, 3 and 2 kgs of gold to medal winners. There is so much at stake for our athletes apart from individual and national glory. Its just that these announcements have come in too late in the day I feel. Otherwise, its great that our athletes will benefit in real monetory terms.