I play because I love the game: Tendulkar

King

Tendulkar clarifies why he's still around & scoring runs in a candid conversation with Simon Wilde More... I play because I love the game: Tendulkar SIMON WILDE Getting access to Sachin Tendulkar is tortuous. It takes conversations with three intermediaries and involves two delays and one threat of a postponement. Initially the meeting is to take place at the county ground in Chelmsford, where India are playing their final warm-up match before the Test, but in the end is relocated, predictably enough, to the safety of Sachin's hotel room. The room appears to have been hurriedly tidied. He has just woken from a nap after a training session and the bed has been remade, after a fashion. Shirts are bundled over a chair. A suitcase is closed. Behind an armchair is a pair of expensive-looking slippers with shiny buckles, a comforting touch of home from home. Does he sometimes wear these while practising his magical footwork in front of the mirror? Why, after all this time, at the age of 34, is he still doing this? He is the richest cricketer the sport has seen, so he hardly needs the money. His answer is touching, naive almost. "I still play," he says in his sing-song, still-boyish voice, "Because I still love the game. "I would like to clarify this," he says. "It's not about records. It's about loving the game and enjoying being out there in the middle. That is extremely special to me and far bigger than breaking records or creating new ones. Creating records happens after you've gone on the cricket field, but you've got to find a reason to go on the cricket field. And for me, the reason is very clear. "From the age of three I've loved this sport and I've never thought about scoring the most number of centuries or runs in international cricket. Everyone enjoys breaking records, I'm enjoying it too, but that is not the reason for playing cricket. "When I started playing, I always wanted to be regarded as one of the best and the idea was that when I stopped playing, people would remember my name. Being regarded as one of the best players is always a good feeling, and that drives you, it refuels you completely. You want to be on top of your game all the time and push yourself harder and harder. There's a huge responsibility and it is a great challenge. I love that." The key to Tendulkar's appeal is twofold. First, he was so good so young. He made his debut for India at 16 and scored his first Test century, against England at Old Trafford, at 17. Second, he has remained forever youthful and innocent of character and demeanour. The whiff of corruption has tainted many in Indian public life, but not Tendulkar. His was one of the few reputations untarnished by the match-fixing scandal that engulfed Indian cricket seven years ago. Crucially, he retains the lustrous image that TV producers and advertisers crave. Even now, the mood of a vast nation can be altered by a Tendulkar duck or double-century. "So many people are watching you, so many people backing you all the time," he adds. "The mood in the evening after a game (among the Indian public) depends on what you do. If you don't perform well, people are upset and feel low. If you do well, along with other players, the whole nation is on a high and that is a great feeling. When you've done well, the team has won, it's a special feeling." Isn't that intimidating? "To be honest, I don't think about all these things when I'm going in to bat, because when you go in you've just got to be watching the ball. You must think about the game, not anything else. I try to work on that." When there is a break in his schedule he likes to take his wife, Anjali (a doctor and childhood friend), and their two children away to places where they will not be so readily recognised. "We've got a few spots nobody knows about and that is quite nice. Before this tour, too, I came to London on a short holiday with my family and it was a wonderful break. I like to do things like go to parks, cinemas and restaurants and walk back along the streets. "I can't do that at home. Therefore that's what I like, a stroll in the park. Spending time with my family helps me to recharge the batteries. There is so much cricket that it is not only physically but mentally demanding and you need to refresh yourself. But I couldn't not live in India. That is where the heart is. All my friends are there." Tendulkar says he will not be preparing for this week's match at Lord's by studying videos of the England bowlers. He watched some of their Tests against West Indies and has faced all the England bowlers before, except for the left-arm seamer Ryan Sidebottom. "I study all bowlers quite closely and have my own ways of working things out, but you always have to be on your toes. Whether it is Steve Harmison or Alastair Cook bowling, it just needs one good ball to get you out, and by the time you've realised it, it can be too late. "I try to work on the opposition, on the way they are thinking. It is all about planning. If you can out-think them, you've done a good job. I have no regrets, absolutely none. I would rather look at the positive things that have happened to me than the few negative things, because I am a positive person, I like to have good memories, learn from my mistakes and move forward. There is no room for disappointments." Surprisingly, India have not won a Test series in England during Tendulkar's time. They were beaten 1-0 in 1990 and 1996 and drew 1-1 in 2002. He expects another close encounter this time. "It should be a good contest. I'm looking forward to it. We'll have to play tight, stick to basic disciplines and fight to the end. I've been watching Monty Panesar. He is terrific. He's done a fabulous job for England, but it is going to take time for him to graduate to the next level and be regarded as one of the best of all time, but he surely has it in him. "We've shared some wonderful moments. I signed a ball for him (in India last year, after Panesar had claimed Tendulkar as his first Test wicket) and wrote, 'Once in a blue moon'. I had to write something funny on the ball. We caught up in the West Indies when he joined us at lunch. He's a nice bloke." So, what does he think is the secret of his phenomenal success? He pauses and reflects. "My desire and passion for the game, and my will to win and perform well. I don't like losing. It may be a practice match, but I still don't like losing. Not only cricket. I don't like losing in other sports such as table tennis, squash and badminton. Even go-karting." Asked about his recent scores in Test cricket, which look fairly meagre without the boost of easy runs against Bangladesh, he says: "I think it's probably the way people have looked at things. I think I've done reasonably well. Maybe the expectations are too high and unrealistic at times." Is he aware that some pundits believe he is uncomfortable against the bouncer? No comment. What does he say to those who claim he does not play enough matchwinning innings in Test matches? Again, no comment. He is less prickly when asked when he might retire. He has asked India not to consider him for the Twenty20 World Championship, but says: "I've not come here with that frame of mind. I've kept things open. I don't want to divide my energies. Now I just want to focus on playing."

"I would like to clarify this," he says. "It's not about records. It's about loving the game and enjoying being out there in the middle. That is extremely special to me and far bigger than breaking records or creating new ones. Creating records happens after you've gone on the cricket field, but you've got to find a reason to go on the cricket field. And for me, the reason is very clear. "From the age of three I've loved this sport and I've never thought about scoring the most number of centuries or runs in international cricket. Everyone enjoys breaking records, I'm enjoying it too, but that is not the reason for playing cricket.
Is there a hint to some that are calling for his head that he plays for the numbers.
Asked about his recent scores in Test cricket, which look fairly meagre without the boost of easy runs against Bangladesh, he says: "I think it's probably the way people have looked at things. I think I've done reasonably well. Maybe the expectations are too high and unrealistic at times." Is he aware that some pundits believe he is uncomfortable against the bouncer? No comment. What does he say to those who claim he does not play enough matchwinning innings in Test matches? Again, no comment.
I certainly believe his reflexes are lower than what it used to be. He did show against South Africa his horizontal bat shots are intact but I didn't see him play those in the last couple of years. Against Bangladesh he was caught unaware once or twice against Mortaza against the short ball. In the Future cup he took on the bouncers and came off well. I hope he continues to pound the short balls. He may get out once or twice playing hook shot but he will score heaps too.

"I play because I love the game: Tendulkar". This is why SRT is the God of cricket and has a rockstar status in India and arund the world. He knows he is a genius and yet very humble and talks about taking his family for waks in the park. No scandals, even after being in the limelight for 18 years. Can Kobe or Shaq or even Michel Jordan acheive that. For me atleast, there is a special feeling when india wins because of SRT. As Tonny Greg once said, " There is God, then there is Tendulkar, then there is daylight"...

Is he aware that some pundits believe he is uncomfortable against the bouncer? No comment. What does he say to those who claim he does not play enough matchwinning innings in Test matches? Again, no comment.
Good for him that harmison is not playing . I still remember him getting decked by Akhtar in Faislabad on the flatest of flat wickets. Even during the WC , his reflex was slow , I mean he couldn't even fend off the in- dipper by Fernando .
The aussies and thre ridiculous celebrations when they get topns show its all about money for them. Hayden is the worst when he gets to tons' date=' he is obssessed with ££££[/quote']yea right.....u need to get ur head checked.... what about winning three world cups in a row and the celebrations after that ....was that for money as well????

Well if people say Sachin plays for money and stats, then that means all other players do as well! Including the aussies!!! I can give many instances of indians and sachin celebrating great victories together, when it is clear it was all about the team and glory. One such instance comes to mind when we beat the aussies in 2001! I still remeber the great celebrations:thumbs_up:

What about that riduclously selfish innings by Hayden. When he got 380. He broke Laras 375 got out and then the aussies declared straight away. They had more then enough runs when he was on around 300 and would normally have declared. Why did they bat on? Simply so one of their players could gain a personal milestone and no doubt rake in the $$$ from this as well. Selfish Hayden and personal milestone obssessed aussies!

And the result of the Test match please' date=' dsr. :wink_smile:[/quote'] Yes you won. But that does not mean it was not a selfish moment in australian cricket were the pursuit of personal milestones over took the priority of winning the match. In any other situation you would have declared a lot earlier and won earlier. But the hayden record hunting was deemed higher priority!

Wrong on two counts. 1. It wasn't me who won that Test. it was Australia. 2. Waugh was able to bat a bit longer than usual for Hayden's world record because he and Gilly had batted at a very brisk rate. The MH 380 used up just 437 balls. Gilly's 113 was from 94 balls. The whole Aussie innings was achieved at a rate of 5 r.p.o. They won with two full sessions to spare - 68 overs.