India idol Dhoni so sweet on football

King

Cricket: As a teenage goalkeeper in the north-east Indian state of Jharkhand, Mahendra Singh Dhoni was an avid follower of Premiership football, and Manchester United in particular134736981More... India idol Dhoni so sweet on football By CHRIS FOY - More by this author » Last updated at 00:32am on 18th July 2007 commentIconSm.gif As a teenage goalkeeper in the north-east Indian state of Jharkhand, Mahendra Singh Dhoni was an avid follower of Premiership football, and Manchester United in particular. He remains a fan to this day, but, having stormed to prominence as his country's answer to Adam Gilchrist, the 26-yearold wicketkeeper could teach the Rooneys and Gerrards of this world a thing or two about adulation and commercial clout.

083dhoni_468x326.jpg
Being an international cricketer, Dhoni is automatically famous in India. But being an international cricketer with rock-star locks and a love of motorbikes, he has ascended to demi-god status. Sachin Tendulkar has been the people's champion for a generation, but his pre-eminence is under threat. In fact, the Little Master may have already been ousted by the "Ranchi Rambo" — Ranchi being his home and the capital city of his province. Dhoni's name is chanted with most gusto; Dhoni is the one whom fans jostle to touch; Dhoni is the one who sparks a riot when he goes for a haircut. The worship is founded on his gung-ho batting style. He backs up his dashing image with bold deeds, thanks to a background of playing "tennis-ball cricket". "The only aim is to hit every ball hard — for six," he said. "If you are unfortunate, you will get a four . . . or get out." He made his India debut in 2002 and soon made waves. He scored 148 in his fifth one-day international, against Pakistan, and replicated that in his fifth Test, against the same rivals. He then overhauled Gilchrist's record ODI score by a wicketkeeper when he made 183 not out against Sri Lanka in 2005. The runs have been less plentiful lately, but he is certain to start tomorrow's first npower Test — his first meaningful match on these shores. "We have a huge number of fans following us and it is an obsession," he said. "When I go back to my city, I don't really struggle there. I can walk around freely and go out riding my bikes. But, of course, I have to cut down on my outings. "I can't go here, there and everywhere. If I go to a mall I will get mobbed, with people wanting photographs. "There is no security threat, but if the number of people increases, the police help get you out. "It is lovely being here because I can walk in the streets, I can go to a restaurant, I can do anything, go wherever I want." Dhoni is a familiar sight on billboards across India. He is handsomely paid to endorse 17 brands, from oil to a bank, from soap to sportswear. But the one closest to his heart is motorbikes. He owns two superbikes and admits he is a "big-bike freak". On discovering Andrew Flintoff has had occasional use of a Harley-Davidson, he said: "I'd love to take it for a ride. But I don't have a licence over here." The fame and riches that Dhoni enjoys would never have come his way had he not been persuaded to stand behind stumps instead of between two posts. "When I was 12 or 13 there used to be a camp for football and I was quite inclined towards football, so I started going there and practised for a couple of years," he said. "After that we needed a wicketkeeper in our school team and our games teacher said, 'Look, the basics are the same, you're a goalkeeper so just move and catch the ball'. "That's how it started, but initially I was a footballer and I still love football. I support Man U. Our first-class season used to start in September- October. "I used to come back from the ground and watch the Premiership games. I also used to love Zidane. Among English clubs, Cristiano Ronaldo is my favourite player." To be a football fan in cricket-mad India suggests a free thinker. Dhoni is just that, judging by his thoughts about the honour of playing in a Lord's Test. Clutching an empty glass which had contained a mound of ice cream and chocolate sauce, he said: "So many people talk about Lord's from the cricketing point of view, or talk about its history, but I think the food is amazing. The desserts are excellent."
Clutching an empty glass which had contained a mound of ice cream and chocolate sauce, he said: "So many people talk about Lord's from the cricketing point of view, or talk about its history, but I think the food is amazing. The desserts are excellent."
Wrong choice mate, already I can see him put on fair bit of weight since his arrival :wink_smile: