Duleep trophy dream teams

Sooda

AT XI's for the Zonal sides to mark the return of the competition :D Struggling a bit with a CZ and EZ and there may be some relatively obvious omissions... but here is a go anyway. Might be more domestic stalwarts who could feature, Ive gone for more obvious-ish names that have represented India. Bearing in mind the tourno only started in the early 60s a lot of the really oldie legends do not qualify... WZ Gavaskar ©, Jaffer, Vengsarkar, Tendulkar, Manjrekar, Shastri, Engineer (wk), Agarkar, R Powar, Z Khan, P Shivalkar SZ S Ramesh, K Srikkanth, R Dravid, G Vishwanath, M Azharuddin, V Laxman, S Kirmani (wk), A Kumble ©, J Srinath, V Prasad, B Chandrashekar NZ Sehwag, Gambhir, Chopra, Sidhu, Amarnath, Kapil Dev ©, M Prabhakar, Vijay Yadav (wk), Harbhajan Singh, Bishan Bedi, R Goel CZ S Bangar, Vijay Manjrekar, M Kaif ©, P Amre, Raina, N Ojha (wk), Durani, P Kumar, N Hirwani, S Gupte, R P Singh EZ Arun Lal, Pankaj Roy, SS Das, S Ganguly ©, A Malhotra, Dhoni (wk), Laxmi R Shukla, Utpal Chatterjee, Dilip Doshi, R Bose, D Mohanty

Wasim Jaffer seriously? lol I would have Ravi shastri open and include Sandip Patil.
Actually this is a good attempt but cannot be done by a single guy... people struggle to select a Country 11 how can it possible to select best eleven for 4/5 Zones.. still good attempt

^^Ah thanks, :D ..Jaffer mainly because he has been a fine servant for Mumbai and WZ... but vvslaxman is possibly right. Could even play Manjrekar..? dumdum... maybe yeah...I considered obvious choices like W V Raman, Mukund and Vijay..even thought Dravid could open and play Prasanna- truly devlish spin trio that would give SZ :D Ramesh was a good bat unlucky not to have played more for India... Saurav01, yeah could play Varun... thought SS Paul consistency over the years merited him a spot ahead of guys like Varun or Dinda...It was either him or Bose...the teams needs another player maybe Shukla to give it balance as an allrounder...?

WZ would surely have Vinoo Mankad and Vijay Hazare. Jaffer and I Pathan can be got rid of. Bowling would Khan, Agarkar ( may find somebody better than him I hope), Shastri, Mankad and Shivalkar. CZ should have C K Nayudu.
Ah but they never played Duleep Trophy... :winky:
West Zone has almost 6 bowlers - Sanjay Manjrekar can easily replace one of the allrounders.
Yeah, could drop Pathan I think Could put in Polly Umrigar fine batsman and useful off spinner...am mulling over it as he was well into his 30's when the tourno came about but going by that criteria I doubt the current senior team players have much of a Duleep Trophy record they must barely have played in it

Some provisos for the more discerning reader- Spin great Subhash Gupte was very much Bombay-ite but was playing for Rajasthan when the Duleep trophy was inaugurated in 1961 hence gets to bolster the Central Zone line up...same story with Vijay Manjrekar (he really should not be opening, but cant think of anyone else...)

Shukla instead of Devang maybe. Aaron and Dinda are a cut above Paul in terms of general ability. Before Paul and Bose, Sagarmoy Sensharma and Dattatreya Mukherjee has played many seasons for Bengal and has even won a Ranji Trophy for them. And for opening in the Duleep Trophy, you cannot miss Arun Lal. Will singlehandedly beat all the maharathi bowlers of the other sides.