Should Tendulkar retire himself at the end of this series? (Poll added)

Ponka

Should Tendulkar retire himself at the end of this series? (Poll added)  

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

actually i think sachin should ve played after world cup cos he was in good form but now since all seniors dont want to leave every one is angry i guess more over retiring now and retiring after world cup are totally diff things and also imagine this scenario we winning in england and australia and then sachin retiring but that was not to be.. now it looks bad but with our young team we still need him for 2 more series at home. hope he gets that 100th ton soon and helps us win cb series

Sachin should have retired after World Cup: Imran Khan Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan said that Sachin Tendulkar should have retired after the ÅÖltimate high of India winning the World Cup last year. Ÿe all want to go with a big bang, but you donÃÕ always get it right. For Sachin, the ultimate time to go was after that World Cup win. He had such a great World Cup. He is a great player and there is not replacement for him,Ǽ/B] Khan said on Monday. Å©e has to decide for himself and he must time it right. You donÃÕ want to go having lost to Australia 4-0. If he had gone after that World Cup, that would have been the ultimate high, he said. Khan said IndiaÃÔ senior players have the right to decide when they want to retire and the management should first find their replacements. ŪtÃÔ a very difficult question for a sportsman to know when to leave. ItÃÔ a very difficult decision and many great players have not got it right, he said. ŧor Indian cricket, itÃÔ not one player now but three or four have to take decision. But the big question is whether you have got their replacements. If the gap between the young and old players is too much, then you have to stay with the old players, Khan added. Asked about TendulkarÃÔ impending 100th international century, Khan said statistics doesnÃÕ matter to a great player. ųecords must be broken with the team winning. You should not be playing to break records. Records should be part of the win. Sachin is a great player. Would Sachin any different if he doesnÃÕ get 100 hundreds? No, Khan said. ŵhe greatest player IÃ×e played (against) is Viv Richards. I donÃÕ need to look at his records. He is great because he loves challenges. Records are after all statistics and statistics do not matter to great players, he said. The former fast bowler said he would have hung up his boots had his team suffered two successive whitewashes. Ū would have retired from cricket. I think if I was in a team that lost eight matches in a row I would have given up cricket. ItÃÔ not the West Indies of the 1980s. But see who India have lost to Australia and England. This Australia team hardly has won any series. You canÃÕ blame the fans for feeling upset, he said. Khan said if India laid too much emphasis on Twenty20 cricket and IPL, then they might be reduced to a ÅØalkover team in Test cricket? Ūndia need to think seriously. Have they laid too much emphasis on IPL, T20 cricket? ItÃÔ a great entertainment but how do you compare T20 with Test cricket. Test cricket is the ultimate test of a playerÃÔ skills, he said. Ūf India donÃÕ get the balance right, they are going to be just a walkover team in Test cricket, Khan added. Khan also said that India and Pakistan must resume cricketing ties. Ÿe have deprived the subcontinent of the pleasure of an Indo-Pak series. The highlight of the World Cup was the semifinal between Pakistan and India. LetÃÔ put our past behind and move on. ItÃÔ time for a new relationship and a new era. We must go beyond Mumbai 26/11. Everybody in Pakistan condemned the person (Ajmal Kasab) and the Mumbai incident. Even in Pakistan, thousands have died in terrorist attacks. ItÃÔ time for new relationships and to resume Indo-Pak ties, Khan said. http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sachin-should-have-retired-after-world-cup-imran-khan_1644024

Is there a double standard when it comes to Sachin? It is a given that Sachin has a relatively below average one year since the WC win. He is no doubt one the greatest batsman of modern day cricket in the same category of Viv, Lara, Ponting, etc. And if you consider his one day record, he definitely stands slightly above some of his peers. Although he has had an ordinary year, he was in sublime touch for most of the time since the 07 WC debacle and was the ICC batsman of the year in 2010. Now Ponting has been just awful for the last few years and the Aussie public and selectors have stuck with him despite a long poor form where his average has dropped from the high 50s to low 50s. Shouldn't the same standard apply to Sachin as well? I am just asking. I am been very disappointed as well, and thought post WC was the best time to retire. But I would like for him to retire on somewhat high and not like this.

It is a given that Sachin has a relatively below average one year since the WC win. He is no doubt one the greatest batsman of modern day cricket in the same category of Viv, Lara, Ponting, etc. And if you consider his one day record, he definitely stands slightly above some of his peers. Although he has had an ordinary year, he was in sublime touch for most of the time since the 07 WC debacle and was the ICC batsman of the year in 2010. Now Ponting has been just awful for the last few years and the Aussie public and selectors have stuck with him despite a long poor form where his average has dropped from the high 50s to low 50s. Shouldn't the same standard apply to Sachin as well? I am just asking. I am been very disappointed as well, and thought post WC was the best time to retire. But I would like for him to retire on somewhat high and not like this.
It already is,He is the only player who can play till the time he wants,Even if he is 50.

Of course there is a double standard. He is no doubt in his prime an amazing amazing batsman. However someone recently had a thread about how he could never single handled win a game for India when it really really mattered. No one could still give a suitable response because this is true. Sure India has won some meaningless matches with Sachin eg his 200 score match etc. Even Yuvraj Singh or Zaheer Khan has won matches for us with their batting. But the epic matches...the ones that really meant something where was he when it was time to be clutch? Only thing we heard were his amazing match against the Aussie in Hyderabad, in the Chennai test, desert storm match, 96 world cup semis etc...but in the end we didnt win those matches and Sachin didnt stay on to finish them. You juxtapose that with a Ponting type and the difference is crystal clear. Ponting isnt the batsman Sachin is but when the chips were down when it really mattered he came through. Look how many people wrote him off then bang double century against India. Flawless technique from Sachin but not a killer instinct ala a Ponting. All he is doing now is hurting his legacy as his average is going to deteriorate and people are now ridiculing "99 on for X months now." The tragedy is he could have had a hero's finish and been carried out of Wakande on team India's shoulders a world cup champion and that could be our lasting memory of him. But now that match where he once again did so little when the chips were down seems so so far ago. Now we remember him as usual getting out on 94 against the West Indies when all he needed was so little more. I hope he hits his hundred in Australia and calls it a career after this series before any more damage is done.

I agree 100% with this. Retiring on 99 centuries would have CEMENTED Sachin's status as the greatest modern era batsmen. Here is why. If he retired on 99 centuries and all the media etc asking why why Sachin not play for 100 centuries all he would have to say is that "I stayed in cricket for one reason to win the world cup with India. Individual records mean NOTHING to me I only wanted to win this for India." Imagine what people would have said about such a character. Now its months later he is looking petty and it is crystal clear he only wants to play for personal records. Say what you want about Imran Khan but he said long before that fairytale ending this is the end...this is my final tournament and my final match. We all remember that final shot of him with the trophy. That could have been Sachin but now who knows what our final memory will be of him. So far its a humiliating 8-0 disaster. Not just cause of him of course...but thats our latest memory of him...not going out as a champion.

No, there isn't is there, there couldn't be could there.....:winky: Of course there is and its probably deserved to... This guys is an ATG and people need to calm down in their diatribe against the little master.... He is one of the few still making runs albeit not many 100s but tell me how many batsmen average 100+... Get off his back I say

No, there isn't is there, there couldn't be could there.....:winky: Of course there is and its probably deserved to... This guys is an ATG and people need to calm down in their diatribe against the little master.... He is one of the few still making runs albeit not many 100s but tell me how many batsmen average 100+... Get off his back I say
True that, especially since your people have given Ponting countless opportunities until he finally clicked..... ;)