'Sports Bill is all about government control': N Srinivasan

1983-2011

New Delhi: Indian cricket board president N Srinivasan said that the Sports Bill of the government was all about trying to control the national federations and questioned its application to the BCCI. "This is all about control (by the government)," Srinivasan said when asked about his views on the Sports Bill. He also agreed that the Bill was not going to produce Olympic gold medallists in the country. Asked why the BCCI was against the application of the Right to Information Act, he said, "In principle, why should RTI applies to us, we don't take any money from the government. There is no secret in our functioning. "Except that the information regarding the selection of the team cannot be made public everything is in public domain. We are very transparent," he said a news channel. Srinivasan vehemently denied that there was conflict of interest in him being the managing director of India Cements which owns IPL side Chennai Super Kings and a BCCI's office bearer. "All the decisions of the board are taken by the General Body and the IPL Governing Council has 13 members. And no decision concerning the IPL are made exclusively for the sake of a particular franchise," he said. "Why India Cements bid for the IPL was for the Chennai people. Our company have been supporting cricketers for the last 50 years since when there were no money in cricket. The people of Chennai would have missed out on an IPL team," he added. Asked about the case of former IPL commissioner Lalit Modi now being probed by a BCCI Disciplinary Committee, Srinivasan said, "Modi has made serious allegation against the BCCI. We expected people to be honest and above board, We don't think so in case of Modi. "The Disciplinary Committee will come out with its final verdict and we have to take action. But there was no personal issue between me and Modi," he said. Srinivasan refused to compare Modi's case with that of former BCCI and ICC president Jagmohan Dalmia. "We have accept that Dalmia has made a huge contribution in Indian cricket. He was the first ICC president after the world body chief used to be from the MCC. "There was some misunderstanding in some financial transactions and later those were clarified and we dropped the case. The matter was closed. Modi's case was different. I don't want to compare Dalmia with Modi's case," said Srinivasan. On India's continued opposition to the Umpire Decision Review System, Srinivasan said that the BCCI was against the UDRS as "it would not stand up to the test of perfection". "BCCI is not against the use of technology at all. Technology which is not perfect will not add to decision making but rather will take it away. We have told the ICC that the ball tracking technology is faulty, there is uncertainty about it," he said. "The problems in the Hot Spot was evident during the England tour. So the main two components which form UDRS do not stand up to the test of perfection. "My people have made presentations to me about the Hawke Eye and when I asked about how certain it is, I was told it is like leap of faith I will have to take." Asked about former captain Sunil Gavaskar's claim that the BCCI owes Rs 2 crore for IPL-related service, Srinivasan said, "At the General Body meeting, the members said they don't know about this." http://cricketnext.in.com/news/sports-bill-is-all-about-government-control/63436-13.html

Narayanaswami Srinivasan is an Indian industrialist, chemical engineer, sports administrator and socialite Srinivasan took over as Vice Chairman and Managing Director of India Cements Limited in 1989 and has served for twenty-one years. Srinivasan is the currently the President of the Tamil Nadu Golf Federation, All India Chess Federation and the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association. He is the incumbent President of BCCI.

Narayanaswami Srinivasan is an Indian industrialist, chemical engineer, sports administrator and socialite Srinivasan took over as Vice Chairman and Managing Director of India Cements Limited in 1989 and has served for twenty-one years. Srinivasan is the currently the President of the Tamil Nadu Golf Federation, All India Chess Federation and the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association. He is the incumbent President of BCCI.
Busy man, off course he's not going to have time to answer any RTIs