That 122 by Tendulkar

I wouldn't normally start a new thread about this, but watching Sachin's 122 against England in 1996, I was reminded of what an astonishing, hyper-talented batsman he was. On a pitch where everybody else seemed to be playing hand-grenades, his balance, poise and the sheer purity of his strokes took my breath away. There was not a shot he did not play during that innings- the trademark flick through mid wicket, the rasping cover drive, the straight drive past the bowler, the amazing standing on tiptoes flay through point, the audacious six over Min Patel's head to get to his ton... It came as a shock to me, to be honest. The struggles of the last few years had made me forget what an incredible batsman this man was. I have always tried not to let patriotism cloud my judgement, and I believe I say this without an iota of bias- I have never seen a better batsman wield the willow in my life. It also highlighted one of the points Shwetabh made in a critique of my "match-winner" article. Why should a losing knock not be awarded the same status as a winning one? During that innings, Tendulkar batted under the most intense pressure- India were 34 for 4, chasing a deficit of 99 on first innings, and yet his calmness and the quality of his batsmanship was such that it had the likes of Mark Nicholas and Ian Botham drooling. Yet, when cricket history is written, people will point their finger at Tendulkar and say that he couldn't handle pressure, that he did not play enough match winning knocks. Rubbish. I really don't care. What I revisited today 11 long years after I first watched it in only my first month in a new country will stay in the memory forever. He was an amazing batsman, that fellow.

Pfft. You didn't realise this when i posted that video of his 169 @ Cape Town ? India were 40/4 when he walked in against a peak Allan Donald and a tough-as-nails South African bowling attack. Watch it again...carefully. bRxGdiej3rc It's a shame that his best years coincided with some of India's worst years - times when they couldn't win a test match overseas if their lives depended on it. This is why i treat arguments regarding his status as a "matchwinner" with suspicion. Cricket is a team sport - for teams to win matches, at least 3 or 4 players need to perform at their best. India had only Tendulkar who stepped up - the rest were either erratic (Azhar) or still in their formative years (Ganguly and Dravid). Not to mention the bowling attack. So singling out Tendulkar by holding him responsible for every Indian defeat makes no sense. This is an argument used only by fools and p@kis.

Very eloquently put, Dhondy as always. We were having a mini discussion on that innings in the match thread as well. The best part of the knock I found, and I mentioned in the other thread, was his intent. He knew his team was down a 100 runs and other batsmen were struggling. He took it upon himself to give the bowlers something to defend. Every stroke was played with the intention of scoring runs and somehow give the bowlers something to bowl at rather than hang around and delay the inevitable. That he executed it so well was the genius of the man.

Arre Baba, Pred, didn't I post on that 169 thread? But this was watching extended highlights on a big screen. You get to appreciate his mastery so much more. I was thinking of that 169 as I was watching this today. I really need a DVD of that knock.

Actually , my reaction would be exactly the same.. Only this time , the entire line would be bold and italicized ! "Sriram, khandhar batati hai ki imaraten kya rahi hongi!" -- ?? :D Anyways i agree with you. The guy is past is best for sure.Only a fool would dispute that.

I am feeling rather sad, Gambo. Facing another defeat in a series opener, desperately trying to convince myself that the two batting superstars in our team still have it in them to pull out a miracle, deep within myself I know that what I am really doing is write an epitaph on what was a great, great career.

Good recollection Dhondy, but dont be fooled by Sachin at his pomp. There was simply no better entertainment at that time than watching this man bat. Its not without reason he commands so much unconditional respect & fan following from so many, inspite of his irreversible decline. But his greatness has eroded quite a bit in the last few years and unless he manages to salvage something in the forthcoming years will merely finish his career as a very good player not a great one, IMO.

Good recollection Dhondy, but dont be fooled by Sachin at his pomp. There was simply no better entertainment at that time than watching this man bat. Its not without reason he commands so much unconditional respect & fan following from so many, inspite of his irreversible decline. But his greatness has eroded quite a bit in the last few years and unless he manages to salvage something in the forthcoming years will merely finish his career as a very good player not a great one, IMO.
Nope don't agree, Bumps. Greatness doesn't erode like that. By any measure of greatness, he was the best batsman in the world for ten long years. What he does subsequently doesn't take away from the enormity of that achievement.
He has finally seen the light. Lovely post Dhondy. That 122' date=' that 114, that 169, that 111 , that 113 , that 116. Such awesome knocks when no one else performed. If only we had the Dravid of '02-'06 or a Glenn McGrath then. If only...[/quote'] A great knock in need, is a great knock indeed. Its great that Sachin has played so many entertaining knocks, but he's also vamoosed equivalent no. of times, when all we needed was a slim shadow of his greatness to save or win the game

Varun, would it be possible to post a SD of Sachin's average, compared with a few other greats, to counter what Bumps is saying? If it's too big a chore, don't worry. I reckon we notice Sachin's failures far more often that we make note of others'.

Nope don't agree, Bumps. Greatness doesn't erode like that. By any measure of greatness, he was the best batsman in the world for ten long years. What he does subsequently doesn't take away from the enormity of that achievement.
One or two off years is allowed in every great player's career. Tendu has been out of the greatness consideration for close to 5 years now (& counting). To me greatness is not about numbers. He may still average in the 40s. Its about the ability of the batsman to stand above the ordinary. Do the unthinkable, stay unconquered. Every player is allowed an off day or a series or even a year. Greats some how manage to pick themselves up & attain their peaks once again. Great men should never be seen struggling for runs for a prolonged period of time in their career. Tendu played like that in the 90s. In the last 5 years, he's been a wuss mentally & physically. Lara played like a great for almost his entire career. Viv played like that. Sobers played like that. Bradman played like that.