Dhoni the white elephant

King

Dhoni should receive 100 lashings on his bottom for the two shots he played in two balls that brought about his dismissal. I think only Munaf Patel is capable of playing a shot like that. It was as if he was fending away a ball that was just about tummy high. How can anyone play such atrocious shot given the situation of the match is just unbelievable. No way was that ball a wicket taking one. I had thought he is a gritty customer with the bat and play few good knocks at crucial games but looks like he is being used as a catching tool in the training. Even the worst of batters I've come across in club cricket know there is no point pushing the ball to the slips when there are 4 in the slips waiting to catch the ball. Most would play that ball in front of the stumps but Dhoni for some reason thought a waist high push to slips was the most apt shot. To play one is a sacrilege but to play two in the same direction in a row :angry_smile: If I were the team management I would ensure he doesn't get another hit in this test series.

i would prolly put it down to nerves and getting overawed by the occassion, Ravs.... I would give him 3 more chances in this series... ie, next innings obviously and next test... if still things dont work out, i will bring in Yuvi for the last 2 tests....

Nerves :whatchutalkingabout Give me a break Gator, he's been around for sometime now. No nerves can prompt a batter to give catching practice to the slips cordon. If that was because of nerves he has no place in test cricket. Next question, did you watch him bat?

I took just 1 ball for Anderson to figure him out. A bit of bounce right outside that corridor and he was always a goner. What a useless batsman. Has anyone noticed that he hardly has any shots on the off-side ? With Dhoni, it's either straight down the ground or on the leg-side. This limitation of his makes him the most predictable batsman in the Indian batting lineup. He needs to go over to Tendulkar in the nets and ask him how to play a cover-drive on the up...rehearse that shot a million times before he plays another overseas test for India. As of right now, he is a walking wicket. What p*sses me off most though, is his tendency to play a shot against almost every ball. Typical flat-track bully mentality. Leave a few balls and take your time before you stick your bat out, you stupid f*ck.

The two dabs he played to the slips didn't require a cover drive or anything. All it required was a straight bat defensive push straight back to the bowler. I can understand if the ball did a bit and took an edge but right out of the middle of the bat to the slips :whatchutalkingabout

There was no need to even touch those balls. Defensive push back to the bowler is only for deliveries within 6 inches outside off stump and that too only when the bowler is bringing the ball in. What is the point of making contact with a delivery you don't intend scoring off and is not threatening your stumps.

I thought those balls jagged back Shwetabh' date=' I'll have another look and confirm.[/quote'] Just looked at them again, Ravi. They could have been left on length for starters and Dhoni had shuffled to the off so much in the second delivery that it gave the impression it was on the stumps but it was a fair deal out.

He could have just left those balls. His performance was pathetic. I felt that RPS, Dhoni and Zaheer did not show any application while batting. RPS was swinging at anything close. RPS and Zaheer will get a pass but theres no excuse for Dhoni to get out so meekly. Sometimes I wonder why do I care when the players dont seem to.

remove dhoni, remove ganguly(he was pathetic as he has been since last two years, he plays to survive), bring in yuvi and one fast bowler..without five bowlers india cannot win a test match. many teams can, but they have atleast three quality bowlers out of 4. and anyways, if 6 batsmen cannot score then I dont know what difference would 7th make..its a test match, top and middle order should be more responsible and sensible in their shot making than what we have seen so far.

Karthik is a keeper, right ? He's obviously rated as a batsman. WHY ARE THE TWO IN THE TEST XI ??? MSD is good value in the ODI team but seems sadly lacking in technique at Test level. At 26, he still has time to find his feet as a Test batsman. With Karthik keeping and Yuvraj at 5, India could play a 5th. bowler or give the 33 & 35 y.o. hacks, VVS and Ganguly another chance. Why both of them played ahead of the 25 y.o. Yuvi defies reason anyway.:dontknow: :hmmmm2:

remove dhoni' date=' remove ganguly(he was pathetic as he has been since last two years, he plays to survive), bring in yuvi and one fast bowler..without five bowlers india cannot win a test match. many teams can, but they have atleast three quality bowlers out of 4. and anyways, if 6 batsmen cannot score then I dont know what difference would 7th make..its a test match, top and middle order should be more responsible and sensible in their shot making than what we have seen so far.[/quote'] Firstly warm welcome to the forums. Secondly how was Ganguly any worse than Tendulkar or Laxman in the first inning? I agree it is futile to play 7th batter particularly if he cannot cope in different conditions. Everyone but for Rahul Dravid in the team are badly wanting to get to about 50 runs so that they can continue in the team. With that kind of attitude the team isn't going get anywhere.