A Time To Rejoice

Dude' date=' I am not saying that we have 1 billion cricketers to choose from , but we certainly have 10 times the resource pool to choose from then countries like SA, England or Australia etc where cricket is not even their main sport and can be described as fringe sports at best. And yet we suck ![/quote'] Cricket is a fringe sport in these three countries? That's news to me.
Very dissapointing comming from someone like you. The billion people = better prospects is a flawed logic ..... you convenoently ignore how sports is never on the minds of 90% of the population as a profession whereas its quite the opposite in the first world countries and of the 10% that actually would want to consder it ... think about the hurdles in the form of politics' date= faclities etc etc that get in the way ..... As an example see how many people from north karnataka get into the Ranji side ? If they dont move to B'lore (and the right connections) there is a fat chance . No such nonsense to overcome for the other non-subcontinent teams.
You got to be kidding me if you think that countries like UK , Australia , SA etc have the same passion , resource or talent pool that India has in cricket. BTW, I never talked about billion people. It was Gambit .All , I said is it's the main sport which we play with passion and we have the resource with BCCI being the richest sporting body and lot of people showing interest in playing at grass root levels. ! We should be beating teams from smaller nations having considerably less interest in cricket and the resource pool being 1/10 that of India. Yet we fail and then the question begs , shouldn't we be self effacing then. And countries like Brazil and Argentina are also developing countries and yet they do very well in soccer which is their main sport and keep in mind that the competition in soccer is much more intense with more countries participating and it being No 1 sport in more countries, then not.
I disagree with anybody who says that they can't find it within themselves to celebrate this result. If you can't celebrate a draw clutched from the jaws of defeat, you are doing yourself a great disservice. Rain is very much a part of the English cricket summer. It affects one or two Tests in every series, and results are achieved despite it. The credit for this draw goes to India, and India alone. It's not as if the rain affected large parts of play. We lost only an hour on the first day, and had three full days of play on days 2,3 and 4. Even today, we had 5 uninterrupted hours of play. England had enough time to wrap it up. Those who are feeling slightly sheepish today, tell us something. Did you feel gutted when India were thwarted by the weather a year ago in the 1st Test at Antigua? West Indies were 298 for 9, chasing 392, when the last wicket pair of Edwards and Collymore held out for 44 balls. Do you remember how much time was lost on day one of that Test match to a downpour? The very next Test at St Lucia, India were again the "victims" of the rain Gods. It rained on days 2 and 3, and day 4 was entirely lost to the deluge. Following on, West Indies limped to 294 for 7 when time ran out, saved in equal measure by their captain's brave 120 as by the weather. Go back a few years. Much sterner opposition. January 1997. India are playing hosts SA at Jo'burg. Set a total of 356 to win, thanks to Dravid's amazing 148 and 81, SA are tottering at 77 for 5 when rain intervenes. Play eventually re-starts, but with 4 overs remaining and SA on the brink of defeat on 228 for 8, Cullinan, courageously playing the lone ranger, finally prevails on the umpires to call off the match for bad light. Three times in recent memory we were robbed by the weather. Three precious Test match wins- all abroad, lost to the elements. If you felt sad then, do us all a favour- rejoice now. You owe it to us and your team.
Can we patent this post

Absolutely agree with the OP. I am delighted at the result for the below reasons: 1) For the first time in recent memory we have pulled off a difficult 4th innings save. We have officially taken the monkey off our back. After watching the painful displays at Bangalore, Karachi, Mumbai & Capetown, no sane minded fan would have expected this team to pull off this save and that too in English conditions. 2) I loved the way the young turks, Karthik, Jaffer & Dhoni responded to pressure. All were playing for their place in the side entering this test. Dhoni is classic example for why technique is grossly overrated in test matches. No praise would be enuff for the way he batted today (140 odd deliveries = 25 overs). His career defining innings thus far. 3) Our bowlers surprised me by bowling England out twice (ok, 19 wickets), with hardly any help from Kumble. With Munaf waiting in the wings we can only get better. Overall, a great test match and a great result.

I'm delighted with the result which came about due to uncontrollable forces of nature. The Indian batsmen are retards though' date=' and will just use the next Test as an opportunity to bring disgrace to India instead...[/quote'] WTF. We were only 80 runs behind. If not for cr#p umpiring we would have won. They won the toss, had favourable umpiring and still we nearly won. We will win the series