Windows 8

b555

Still light years ahead of the overhyped and overpriced Apple products. :winky: And it is still a beta release. However' date=' I personally like Windows 7 more than Windows 8 at least for PCs. Tablets might be a different ball game altogether.[/quote'] Yup. MS over Apple for me, any day. Lets see how windows 8 does on tablets. I hear it's made for multi-touch?

Yup. MS over Apple for me' date=' any day. Lets see how windows 8 does on tablets. I hear it's made for multi-touch?[/quote'] Great. In the previous comment, I thought you were a Apple fanboy bandwagoner and hence the comment. :P Yes, Windows 8 will suit tablets very well. I have been using Windows 8 for more than 6 months now (in fact since the first developer release) and the USP is that is full touch centric and exact fit for tablets. Not to mention it consumes a lot lesser CPU and memory and so, the lower RAM and Processor etc. in tablets won't be a problem either. But the only concern I have is that it is not as friendly on PCs (keyboard and mouse) which might mean it might lose some PC market share while increasing tablet market share. In fact, the only problem in the whole OS is that the Start Menu has been dumped which was the biggest USP of Windows since the 95 version. Makes sense for touch as the new Start Screen with tiles makes it faster for touch but then these tiles that too on a different screen is not the easiest to navigate with a keyboard and mouse.

Still light years ahead of the overhyped and overpriced Apple products. :winky: And it is still a beta release. However' date= I personally like Windows 7 more than Windows 8 at least for PCs. Tablets might be a different ball game altogether.
Define Light years.. In the 4 years that I have owned a Macbook,it has never crashed on me. The speed hasn't changed a bit from the factory settings, the UI is terrific and I can use almost every application that is available on a PC. No bloatware,no AV..just brilliant. Yes - I am an Apple fan boy and proud of it.:winky:

Define Light years.. In the 4 years that I have owned a Macbook,it has never crashed on me. The speed hasn't changed a bit from the factory settings, the UI is terrific and I can use almost every application that is available on a PC. No bloatware,no AV..just brilliant. Yes - I am an Apple fan boy and proud of it.:winky:
I am using Windows 7 for past 2.5 years on my main laptop and it has not crashed a single time either. Nor has any virus infected my system. I do not use any external antivirus either and use the free Microsoft Security Essentials. And the speed has not changed either. And that too at a far cheaper price than a Macintosh. And I could purchase only the OS and did not need to buy the hardware too from Microsoft. The only time I needed to contact Microsoft was when my Windows key went invalid (of course with sufficient grace period) as I had to change the motherboard due to some hardware issue. And Microsoft help instantly provided the replacement keys while still on the phone with tech support. And I definitely do not buy that the number of compatiblite free apps/programs or for that matter even overall apps is same between Windows and Mac. You just need to visit any Windows software download site and Mac software download site to compare the difference. Even a free OS like Linux supports as many programs/apps as Mac if not more and that too free of cost more often than not. Mac software compatibility has increased somewhat for the popular programs in recent years but Windows is still miles ahead in terms of software compatibility. And the number of free alternative for paid software in Windows is far more than that of Mac. Mac and Apple has never even kept the basics of software freedom unlike Google (Android), Linux or Windows and I feel it very hideous to force users to legally purchase their computers, phones and tablets at highly overpriced rates just to use their OS. The basic essence of human freedom itself misses there which is more than enough to not support any of their products.

I am using Windows 7 for past 2.5 years on my main laptop and it has not crashed a single time either. Nor has any virus infected my system. I do not use any external antivirus either and use the free Microsoft Security Essentials. And the speed has not changed either. And that too at a far cheaper price than a Macintosh. And I could purchase only the OS and did not need to buy the hardware too from Microsoft. The only time I needed to contact Microsoft was when my Windows key went invalid (of course with sufficient grace period) as I had to change the motherboard due to some hardware issue. And Microsoft help instantly provided the replacement keys while still on the phone with tech support. And I definitely do not buy that the number of compatiblite free apps/programs or for that matter even overall apps is same between Windows and Mac. You just need to visit any Windows software download site and Mac software download site to compare the difference. Even a free OS like Linux supports as many programs/apps as Mac if not more and that too free of cost more often than not. Mac software compatibility has increased somewhat for the popular programs in recent years but Windows is still miles ahead in terms of software compatibility. And the number of free alternative for paid software in Windows is far more than that of Mac. Mac and Apple has never even kept the basics of software freedom unlike Google (Android), Linux or Windows and I feel it very hideous to force users to legally purchase their computers, phones and tablets at highly overpriced rates just to use their OS. The basic essence of human freedom itself misses there which is more than enough to not support any of their products.
Well written. Pwnage for apple. :two_thumbs_up:

Apple's policies are sometimes draconian in nature and they trap users in the name of making their products easier to use. However there is no denying that their products are far better engineered than those from the Microsoft stable. Both from a stability perspective and the user experience, The mac is years ahead of Windows. I rank Linux ahead on the stability, but its UX isnt as intuitive as Apple's.

removing the start button is a really big mistake by the MS guys will not suit well with elders or ones who r not so pro at computers, surely win7 is here to stay
Windows 8 was primarily built keeping the hand-held devices in mind. A few tablets were launched with windows 7 as the OS and flopped badly since it was never built for touch. Windows 8 will also serve well for the hybrids of laptops and tablets, devices more like laptops with detachable keyboards and multi-touch input facilities. So. it's essentially for the more savvy people. For normal laptop, IMO, windows 7 will remain the best OS.

Windows 7 is as stable and better performance wise than a Mac OS. That's coming from some one who used 10 hours a day of windows and Mac put together for the past few years. PC on a *****y dual core CPU and 4 GB of ram and Mac on a shiny newish MBP with 8 GB of ram.

^ frankly, this has to be seen to be believed. the windows experience is far too muddled for it to justify a claim like 'better than mac' just by words. Lets see something verifiable. ftr, i'm on a mac that hasn't crashed for upwards of three years.

^ frankly, this has to be seen to be believed. the windows experience is far too muddled for it to justify a claim like 'better than mac' just by words. Lets see something verifiable. ftr, i'm on a mac that hasn't crashed for upwards of three years.
In other words, for upward of three years, you do not have much experience of windows. Therefore, your opinion on windows is less credible than anotherhawkeye's opinion on both as he has been using both lately.

In other words' date=' for upward of three years, you do not have much experience of windows. Therefore, your opinion on windows is less credible than anotherhawkeye's opinion on both as [b']he has been using both lately.
As have I.Does not make him an expert. Cannot understand how the term "light years" can be used here.

In other words' date=' for upward of three years, you do not have much experience of windows. Therefore, your opinion on windows is less credible than anotherhawkeye's opinion on both as he has been using both lately.[/quote'] When did I express an opinion about the latest Windows versions? If Windows has really overtaken the Mac in stability and performance in the past three years then we would have heard it from a lot more credible sources than say, with all respect, anotherhawkeye.

Windows 8 was primarily built keeping the hand-held devices in mind. A few tablets were launched with windows 7 as the OS and flopped badly since it was never built for touch. Windows 8 will also serve well for the hybrids of laptops and tablets, devices more like laptops with detachable keyboards and multi-touch input facilities. So. it's essentially for the more savvy people. For normal laptop, IMO, windows 7 will remain the best OS.
I agree that Windows 8 was built keeping tablets etc. in mind to cut into the iPad and other tablets market. And Windows 8 might be quite successful in doing so. But what I am quite serious by now is that they might lose out on desktop, laptop and notebook users in the coming years. Microsoft needs to keep in mind that they are still a far bigger company than Apple in terms of sales especially in the PC sales. If they lose their main PC base then it might while making some inroads into the tablet market then it might be a big loss. Till that time, who knows some other OS including Linux might cut into the Windows PC market. And it has proven in the past that it is not possible to suddenly dent another company in an established market. The Windows Phone is an example. Most unbiased reviewers are swearing that Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is at par if not better than iPhone 4S compared to the price difference. But then Mango has not been able to dent either the iPhone or Android market. And the base of Windows 8 and the tiles etc. are from the Windows Phone 7 idea itself. So, I doubt they will be able to overtake the tablet market from Apple. Instead, they should have kept their basics i.e. PC userbase strong and then cut into tablet market. The lack of Start Menu would hit Microsoft hard as it does make it harder for a keyboard and mouse user to use the Windows 8 OS. I predict that Windows 8 OS would be a failure in PC users like Vista or ME were. People would continue using Windows 7 like they did with Windows XP where they skipped Vista. Overall Microsoft might lose out a bit as Windows 7 was a massive success only due to the PC users. So, although they might make somewhat inroads into tablet and perhaps smartphone market with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 respectively but the sales would be far fewer than what it could have been if they kept a good UI for PCs too. However, they can fix it easily too. They just need to bring back a few Windows trademark features such as Start Menu etc. before the final release. Hope common sense prevails. If they bring back important desktop and laptop friendly features too at least as an extra option then Windows 8 might be extremely popular in both PCs as well as mobile/hand-held devices. Good thing is that Windows 8 is one of the lightest Windows OS at least in the past decade and so, it is a big USP as people can stop worrying about lag now.
When did I express an opinion about the latest Windows versions? If Windows has really overtaken the Mac in stability and performance in the past three years then we would have heard it from a lot more credible sources than say' date=' with all respect, anotherhawkeye.[/quote'] I have been using Windows since the 95 version and I can say for sure that Windows 7 was the most stable OS ever from Microsoft. The OS does not lag or hang unlike its predecessors and it does not have virus or security problems too when compared to its predecessors. The credible sources you refer to are paid for reviews by Apple in many cases. Do you think it is a coincidence that all the celebrities and tech guys on TV start using Apple products as soon as they are released. Where do you think they invest the massive margins in their overpriced overhyped products. They use this margin to create the hype. Apple has generated this tagline "cool" for all their products. And they use all their massive margins in their products to pay well to maintain this tagline. They are good at marketing without doubt but that is at the cost of the users who they are making a fool of and not by cutting their own margins. All other companies reduce prices at times but Apple would never cut a penny even after their humongous margins.

I have been using Windows since the 95 version and I can say for sure that Windows 7 was the most stable OS ever from Microsoft. .
I have been using Windows since 3.1.I guess that makes me the bigger expert huh?
The OS does not lag or hang unlike its predecessors and it does not have virus or security problems too when compared to its predecessors.
In other words, it has just come to speed with Apple's overhyped products..:giggle:
The credible sources you refer to are paid for reviews by Apple in many cases. Do you think it is a coincidence that all the celebrities and tech guys on TV start using Apple products as soon as they are released.
OK ,First you are accusing Apple of paid reviews without any proof.Aand even if it is true,you think other companies don't do that ?
Where do you think they invest the massive margins in their overpriced overhyped products.
I'll take a overpriced product if it is better.Theres a reason BMWs are more expensive than Toyotas.
Apple has generated this tagline "cool" for all their products.
Thats because their products are "cool"
And they use all their massive margins in their products to pay well to maintain this tagline. They are good at marketing without doubt but that is at the cost of the users who they are making a fool of and not by cutting their own margins. All other companies reduce prices at times but Apple would never cut a penny even after their humongous margins
So dont buy their products.Premium products seldom drop their prices. (e.g. BOSE) But stop calling them overhyped and stop with your baseless allegations and let people decide which product is better