Warney v. Charlie, Pigeon v. Sach ??

Donny

Warne confirms interest in Indian league Shane Warne will join Brian Lara in the Indian Cricket League if his conditions are met, however Warne's manager conceded that such an agreement was still a long way off. Glenn McGrath has not ruled out his involvement and his manager said negotiations could progress in the next week. The ICL on Monday announced Lara as its first big signing, two months after his name was initially linked with the group. Warne's manager James Erskine said he had been in talks with ICL officials including Tony Greig. "They haven't offered what we have asked for, so negotiations are proceeding," Erskine told the Australian. "Provided the terms and conditions are right, Shane Warne will play, but it's a long way off before we get the contract signed." The paper reported that Warne's proposed pay package was worth up to $2 million. McGrath's manager, Warren Craig, said he had met with ICL officials some time ago and although there had been few developments since then, this week's events were likely to speed the process up. "We certainly haven't ruled it out," Craig said. "Now Lara has signed, things might start to hot up a bit. Things could start to move over the next week or so." However, Craig said the ICL had given no indication what salary it would offer to lure McGrath out of retirement six months after his final ODI appearance. The league wants to run its first Twenty20 tournament this October and November with six teams, each of which would ideally feature four international players and two Indian stars, with the rest made up of younger players. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/303524.html --------------------------------------------------------------- Great ! A seniors tour for the old boys.:teeth_smile: How soon before Sach joins up ?

Great ! A seniors tour for the old boys.:teeth_smile: How soon before Sach joins up ?
Don't think he will...even though he's declined in tests, he is still a mighty fine ODI player...and i somehow get the feeling that people who sign for this rebel 20/20 will get a ban in their a$$ by ICC....so until Sachin retires, he is gonna stay away methinks. Lara and McWarne have nothing to lose at this point. PS: What is Slater up to these days ? he should join too i think !

It's Official : McWarne are on board After Lara, these are two other huge catches for ICL. ICL is really pouring in the money in this venture. Let's see if it works out. Cricket not involving national teams has not been popular in India till now. Let's see if they can change that : http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/303625.html

Kapil Dev has told the Australian that Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath have agreed to join the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL). "They have signed contracts so that to me means that they have taken the deal," Kapil, the the chairman of the ICL's executive board, said, adding that the organisation was also negotiating with some young Australian cricketers. He said the new league gave an opportunity for players to exploit the fact that India generated the most of the revenue in world cricket. He termed the ICL "the most exciting thing," to happen to world cricket in recent times. Regarding the opposition from official bodies such as Cricket Australia and the BCCI, Kapil was confident that the boards would eventually come to see the league as being beneficial to the game. "Look, I didn't like 50 overs when Kerry Packer started it," Kapil said. "I don't think there is a single cricketer who didn't criticise it as pyjama cricket. Today, everyone is a fan, everyone talks about it. We may find the same thing about Twenty20 in five years. "But it is the public that will have to decide. If it brings back the crowds, that is the best we can hope for and what we want to achieve. Nobody could ever have thought that 50 overs was going to be so successful. We hope the same for our new league. "The objective of our new league is above all else to give hundreds of players around the world better jobs, better money, better opportunities," he said. "If cricket in India does not get the sort of uplift it so desperately needs now, it will go the same way as hockey in the country." The ICL is a Twenty20 series proposed to be held around October in India featuring six teams comprising four international players and two Indian stars, with the rest made up of younger players.
spacer.gif 'They have signed the contracts' Warne, McGrath have joined breakaway league - Kapil spacer.gif289203.jpg Kapil Dev called the ICL the "most exciting thing to happen to world cricket" © AFP Kapil Dev has told the Australian that Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath have agreed to join the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL). "They have signed contracts so that to me means that they have taken the deal," Kapil, the the chairman of the ICL's executive board, said, adding that the organisation was also negotiating with some young Australian cricketers. He said the new league gave an opportunity for players to exploit the fact that India generated the most of the revenue in world cricket. He termed the ICL "the most exciting thing," to happen to world cricket in recent times. Regarding the opposition from official bodies such as Cricket Australia and the BCCI, Kapil was confident that the boards would eventually come to see the league as being beneficial to the game. "Look, I didn't like 50 overs when Kerry Packer started it," Kapil said. "I don't think there is a single cricketer who didn't criticise it as pyjama cricket. Today, everyone is a fan, everyone talks about it. We may find the same thing about Twenty20 in five years. "But it is the public that will have to decide. If it brings back the crowds, that is the best we can hope for and what we want to achieve. Nobody could ever have thought that 50 overs was going to be so successful. We hope the same for our new league. "The objective of our new league is above all else to give hundreds of players around the world better jobs, better money, better opportunities," he said. "If cricket in India does not get the sort of uplift it so desperately needs now, it will go the same way as hockey in the country." The ICL is a Twenty20 series proposed to be held around October in India featuring six teams comprising four international players and two Indian stars, with the rest made up of younger players. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/303625.html ------------------------------------------------------------- Does anyone know any more about this proposal ? With six teams, would it be one of the 'stars' in each team with 10 younger players ? With CA and the BCCI not happy, would those younger players be risking their futures ? Any idea who the two Indian stars are ? The mind boggles. Perhaps Pathan & Sehwag ?

Where will they play? As BCCI either owns all the cricket stadiums in India or has leased the stadiums out from the local city muncipalities/corporations...I don't see future for ICL. Have to see something tangible to believe in ICL. Till then, all these are gimmicks one sees when a new company is getting lauched.

Where will they play? As BCCI either owns all the cricket stadiums in India or has leased the stadiums out from the local city muncipalities/corporations...I don't see future for ICL. Have to see something tangible to believe in ICL. Till then' date=' all these are gimmicks one sees when a new company is getting lauched.[/quote'] :haha: Dude !! u know how much money they're spending ? And all the stadia are government-owned. BCCI just uses them for a nominal fee. There is only one stadium that's completely owned by BCCI.. but that's not built yet :haha:.. They're making one in Delhi which will be ready by 2011
Where will they play? As BCCI either owns all the cricket stadiums in India or has leased the stadiums out from the local city muncipalities/corporations...I don't see future for ICL. Have to see something tangible to believe in ICL. Till then' date=' all these are gimmicks one sees when a new company is getting lauched.[/quote'] You think the organizers would sign all these stars up , without taking care of all the modalities ? Subhash Chandra is a smart guy. He knows he needs stars for people to even start talking about this league. He has obviously seen the massive commercial opportunity in having an alternate cricket league in India , with huge ad revenues going now only to the BCCI. I think the matches will be made very spectator and viewer friendly , with modern technologies like ultra motion cameras and other visual effects added to make it appealing. Chandra also knows there is a huge marker or tier-2 manufacturers who cant buy expensive ad-times during the matches played by India, but want to get on T,V. They might flock to this ICL to start with. If it succeeds , then we will see the big ticket marketeers like pepsi , coke also reviewing their strategy , vis-a-vis , advertising during international matches. This could either turn out to be the next big thing , or simply , another castle built in the air. The BCCI must be watching every move of ICL. ICL's success could spell doom to their economic propensity. I am sure it will take quite a while for ICL to even break-even , but Zee has the strength to ride it out. ICL could also mean a great chance to long neglected good performing cricketer , both domestic and international. Players like Kaif , if not selected for the Indian team soon , might well consider moving onto ICL at a later stage , provided the pay packet is attaractive enough. There is lots to watch out here , I cant wait !

Warne not signed with rebels FAR from having signed with India's new rebel competition, Shane Warne is becoming increasingly concerned with its possible political fallout. More... Warne not signed with rebels By Malcolm Conn July 27, 2007 FAR from having signed with India's new rebel competition, Shane Warne is becoming increasingly concerned with its possible political fallout, particularly from the Indian board. Warne's manager, James Erskine, described as "nonsense" claims by the face of the new Indian Cricket League, Kapil Dev, that the world's leading Test wicket-taker had agreed to play. Glenn McGrath's manager, Warren Craig, took a similar attitude to Dev's insistence that McGrath was also going to be part of the new, annual Twenty20 tournament. "They did give me a call earlier in the week to see where we were at but we're certainly no closer to signing," Craig said yesterday. Erskine insisted yesterday that Warne would not be part of ICL if it was going to create turmoil, and he rang Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland for clarification. "I asked him politically what the situation is," Erskine said. "He tells me that the (Board of Control for Cricket in India) are going to be in a situation where they're probably going to get upset by it. He wonders whether all the Indian players they say they're going to pick will fly in the face of the BCCI? "We will wait and see what the political fallout is before anyone puts pen to paper." Dean Jones, an ICL official who describes himself as operations manager, admitted that Dev had overstated the case. "He hasn't been briefed properly," Jones, who played down the apparent struggle ICL is having luring big-name players after announcing Brian Lara as its first major signing this week, said. "He's firing from the hip. "Everything's fine. It's just normal Indian press and a few guys not communicating. Discussions are still continuing." Jones hoped to announce more signings by the middle of next week, but he was cautious regarding the number of Australians. "I don't know where they get these figures of six guys," he said. "It will be a minimum of three, anyway." Jones was also dismissive of stringent opposition to ICL by the BCCI and the International Cricket Council. "As far as I'm concerned, cricket is like a biscuit, and anyone can make a biscuit," Jones said. "Guys go off and play charity matches all the time. We're seen as a threat. I see us as an opportunity for players between tours. "We're only going to play one tournament a year. Maybe two after three years. We're not up against the BCCI. "Sometimes they're a bit hamstrung because they've got 27 first-class teams with bureaucracy at its best and a lot of the Indian fans are very upset with the way the team played in the World Cup. "They're fed up with hearing the same old names being brought up and no young kids being given an opportunity. "We're going to give a chance to poorer kids and kids from villages who have never had that opportunity and pay them good money. "Hopefully we can find the next Tendulkar or the next Shane Warne or Ricky Ponting. "If we do produce these players and the Indian cricket board want them to play in their A teams or under-age teams we want that to happen. That's what we're about." However, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah insisted last night that the proposed breakaway league was bad for Indian cricket. "We can't encourage it, let alone recognise it, because it's unauthorised," Shah said from India. "And whosoever is associated or involved with the BCCI in some way or the other, administrators and players alike, have nothing whatsoever to do with the ICL." Shah claimed ICL would be made up mostly of retired players. "You should understand that most of them are former cricketers whose best days are long behind them," he said. "How many people go to watch veteran cricketers in action whenever such matches are played?" Shah also dismissed Dev's claim that ICL was launched with a view to serving cricket. "I don't think you can serve the game by just starting a league," Shah said. "The real service to cricket is rendered by loyal players and coaches at camps, not just in big cities but in the smallest towns and even villages across the country."

Inzamam ul Haq's another the ICL should target. Not contracted by the PCB. Held in high regard by most cricket fans, as one of the top Pakistani batsmen. Will make runs, can excite, and more importantly has been completely tossed aside for the moment by the idiots in the PCB. Like the news that the FlematicOne has also been approached. Now if only Chandra could head down to Canterbury and beg Chris Cairns to come back and lead a team for the inaugural season.

Stephen Fleming may end up retiring and take up ICL as well for a $4,40,000 US contract I think. I've read that recently. All said and done it will be like watching some carnival game of cricket something in the lines of Lashings XI but this one will be play around the world that's about it.