Technique of batsman in the video : Is it exquisite or not ?

Guest BossBhai

Technique of batsman in the video : Is it exquisite or not ?  

1. 1.

• Yes The Technique is exquisite.
    • No it is not.

Just curious as to how many here really think that the Batting technique of the guy in the video below is Exquisite and that it is possibly better than some of modern day good batsmen modern day batsmen. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/jack-hobbs-the-world-famous-cricketer
Corrected. :-) http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=1852435&postcount=60 PS : Ignore above if it isn't in reference with the post mentioned. Also, just in case exquisite |ekˈskwizit; ˈekskwizit| adjective extremely beautiful and, typically, delicate : exquisite, jewellike portraits. • intensely felt : the most exquisite kind of agony. • highly sensitive or discriminating : her exquisite taste in painting.

For me, its a really ugly technique.Just curious was the rule of LBW different during that era, I mean this guy would have been LBW candidate even by Botham's Mother in law. Look at my avatar, now this is known as proper technique, knee bent, head still, proper straight bat, weight on toes. But to be frank now a days newer batsman are again going back to the same era when footwork was really very ugly.

So you have now further downgraded Hobbs ?
No, I haven't. You can't compare techniques across eras. It's foolish to say the least. Reason : Different bowling, pitches, conditions, medical facilities, grounds etc.
who are these modern day batsmen that have inferior technique than Hobbs according to you ?
Playing with words is a favorite past time of a lot of people. Unfortunately, you are dealing with someone who has a trained eye to detect it. I never said, "Modern batsmen have inferior technique". I said, "Less exquisite". Now, you can use it to deduce the obvious.
We get it that the likes of Lara, Dravid, Ponting, SRT, Samaraweera etc. were greater than Bradman and co.
Here's a presumptuous argument posted which I don't understand. Neville Cardus, Richie Benaud, Fingleton know nothing about technique but an ICF poll can prove my point.
Now while you are at it why not unearth some footage to prove how pedestrian Pele and Eusebio were compared to Lampard and Steven Gerrard.
Don't worry. People will also compare Laver and Federer and display nepotism.
For me, its a really ugly technique.Just curious was the rule of LBW different during that era, I mean this guy would have been LBW candidate even by Botham's Mother in law.
You may want to read about the history of LBW. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leg_before_wicket#Development_of_the_law
Look at my avatar, now this is known as proper technique, knee bent, head still, proper straight bat, weight on toes. But to be frank now a days newer batsman are again going back to the same era when footwork was really very ugly.
Thanks for answering the poll. Sachin Tendulkar definitely has a proper and exquisite technique, no doubts. So does, Rahul Dravid.
then why are you shy of comparing the older players with modern day greats?
I can't time travel. In order to compare, there must be something in common. I fail to find anything.
I mean if your fav player from the past played in tougher conditions as you are trying to imply it should be very easy to stand by his video footage and ridicule all the modern greats.
The only thing I am trying to not just imply but be explicit is comparison across eras is a futile exercise.
Why are you shying away from such a great opportunity ?
Great? It's filled with nepotism.
Ok so who are these modern batsmen that have less exquisite technique than Hobbs ? Can we have some names ?
How does it matter? It's my word against yours. I name someone and then the next thing you do is create a poll or try to point out I am out of my mind. I am entitled to my opinion as much as yourself.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoOkydP31RY]Sachin Tendulkar bowled by James Pattinson' date=' wicket by Pattinson - YouTube[/url'] I think this is the perfect technique
"Video Not available in your country". But, proves my earlier point I made here. http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=1850002&postcount=44 If this is the case, 5 videos on Sachin Tendulkar getting hit in the helmet or in the groin should prove that he was no good against fast bowlers.
So in other words ... Jack Hobbs played with brilliant technique other than in the videos that are available ?
In other words, comparing techniques across eras is futile. Am I saying that right OR is someone again trying to play "Jambalaya"? Oh wait, there's a poll for that. :yay:

Here is how India TV covered this thread. Timeline -------------------- 2000 - Jack Hobbs selected as 3rd greatest cricketer of the century after Bradman and Sobers. Warne and Richards round the top 5. 2002 - Jack Hobbs selected in ESPN Legends of cricket under 10 rank. 2004 - Richie Benaud selects Jack Hobbs as the opener for all time greatest XI. 2012 - BB launches a ferocious deep dive to finally lift pardah over the Anglo-Saxon conspiracy. Kya suljha paayenge BB ye rahasymay guthi? Dekhte rahi chewtiyapa non-stop. xxx PS: Mcenley - you should be happy that this thread proves your point that comparison across eras is almost always a comparison of fans who initiate it, rarely about players.

From Cricinfo-

Half his hundreds came when he was over 40, and he remains, at 46 in 1928-29, the oldest man to score a Test century
I don't know about his status as player, but surely among middle aged players, his records are untouchable. He surely would have had very great technique which didn't need reflexes to be fast. Just to put things in perspective, there has been just one century scored by players past age of 40 in last 22 years. (Gooch hammering 210 against lowly NZ attack)