Charge Against Indian Doctor Dropped

Dhondy

News just in that the charge of providing "reckless assistance" to terrorists has been dropped against the Indian doctor in Australia. The charge had been based on alleged reports that the sim card belonging to the doctor had been found in the burning car at the airport. It turned out that the sim card was, in fact, found far away in Liverpool. An entire community of Indian doctors has been ostracized and subjected to a whisper campaign in certain circles in Australia without any foundation, as it turns out.

Wow ! That is awesome news ! Not just for the Doc community but also all expat Indians ! As it is the case with these tough anti-terror laws which make a mockery of civil liberties , it is the Innocent that generally suffer the most !

It had to happen after the recent report about 30% of the Aussie citizens had convict inheritance. That included the current PM and the opposition leader too. I don't reckon you can put someone away just because one of his family member has a history of criminal conviction.

If deported...i would like his phone tapped for a few years...... Being related to a deadly terrorist is reason enough for me.
i don't think he would even be deported.. before this news they had alredy said, that they would reverse their decision of deporting haneef.

Some random thoughts: 1) Great to hear this news first of all. Always heartening to see a swift decision which either convicts a suspect or absolves him of the crime. Indeed this is where West has quite a good record. Inspite of all kind of discrimination when it comes to rule of land it is mostly, if not always, fair and just. Plus quick too. 2) Greatly disheartening to see what developed not only in West but also in India after the London blasts. It was almost a case of "Inncoent till proven guilty...unless you are a Muslim". It was almost that the moment a Muslim, Indian or otherwise, becomes a suspect he is thought of as someone who would have certainly did it, specially by the right wingers. I suppose all the posts/threads where Haneef was castigated should now be effectively moved under the "WTF" thread. 3) I wonder what would be the long term impact of British/Australian nationals with regards to Indian Medicos now. Has it been permanently damaged? Or would it be a case of "Once bitten twice shy"? xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Hey he was at least drawn to court on some charged but here we have people who crap over some name day in day out without luxury of even the charrge in court let alone conviction.. I never heard any of u advocating those posts to be thrown into wtf.. little consistency solicited that's all. And yes if muslims are viewed the way they do then they themselves are to blame. For every one no-conviction u will get 100 bonafide terrorist, obviously people's views will be shaped by this little stat.

Guest dada_rocks

he got off because he had played his card well.. Noone buys that one could be chummy with bonafide terrorist cousin without even an inking of what he is upto.... End of story next time hope this guy gets nabbed with smoking gun..